the Arch Linux thread

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Re: The Dark Side :Arch Linux

^TBH i have already setup Arch the way i wanted and no bloat.
Can anybody tell me how to search about packages in pacman? If i dont know the exact package name then how to search? Any GUI of pacman? Just curious.
I just search packages on their website :D that works for me

mehulved

18 Till I Die............

I just search packages on their website :D that works for me
That's too much of a waste of time, and IMO stupid windowsish way.

I had to be root to connect through pppoe-start/stop, so how can i issue such commands under normal users? I searched in /sbin and /usr/sbin for them but its not there.
Prolly you need to add yourself to proper group? Probably network?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

That's too much of a waste of time, and IMO stupid windowsish way.
EDIT: oh yeah its a time waste:D

I will use the -Qs way now :) Thanks to Voldy and Mehul

Last edited:
OP
F

FilledVoid

I believe Qs and Ss work . If you have one of the Front ends you can search in it as well. Further if you know how to use the CLI well you can grep for packages.

By the way :

On The Road to KDE 4.1

On July 29th the KDE team will announce the final release of KDE 4.1, the
first usable version of the fourth generation.

To make it possible for Arch users to join the release party in time, there
are packages for 4.1 in our [testing] repository. Please take this chance to
test those and report any packaging bugs using the bug tracker.

Source : Arch news
For those KDEMod folks out there : Enjoy

In IRC I was thinking of this and would definitely like to put the idea out there just in case someone could make use it. People who use Arch must know that we don't exactly have a mirror which is in India itself but rather we use Servers which are half way around the globe. Most people do manage to get good speeds but the unlucky few get stuck with the short end of the stick. In other words you end up with download speeds of something from 5kbps - 30 kbps. What I'm proposing is to add your package lists that you have and state whether you can share them to anyone who could use it. This would definitely help anyone who don't have access to those high speed connections or for some reason just can't download them fast enough.

Common questions :

But ArchLinux updates like every other day?

Yes , it does and so does the majority of other Linux distro's but you aren't required to update them in any way. Not to mention it would be easy to update 1 gb of packages then download 1 gb and then update them.

Are these for free?

DVDs don't grow on Trees. So basically based on the persons constraints you might have to reimburse DVD and courier charges. Some might be evening willing to send you a copy for free though. If you live next door to me then no problem be free to come and get yourself a copy :).

Has this or will this help anyone?

To be frank, I have no idea. But I've already sent a copy of my pkg contents to 2 people already.

I'm listing the people who have Arch installed and hence should have access to the packages. Ill start with my list.

Abhinand
Kalpik
FilledVoid - My Pacman -Qs file (Last Updated July 29th 2008 ) Arch 64 bit - I live in Kerala.
T159 - Detailed and Simple package List
Garbage
Gary4gar
MetalheadGautham
Pat

So if one of these folks live near you check with them and see if they could write you a copy :).
(If anyone feels uncomfortable with their names in the above please let me know Ill remove them immediately.)

Last edited by a moderator:

^^ Is it advisable to stick with what I currently have, i.e, KDE3.5 mod ?
Because it was pointed out by many here that KDE4.1 needs me to up my ram to 1GB from 256...

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

Compact Package List
Detailed Package List

lolz...man pacman was interesting read :D
*monsterdonut.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/pacman_costume.jpg

OP
F

FilledVoid

^ROFLMAO .

^^ Is it advisable to stick with what I currently have, i.e, KDE3.5 mod ?
Because it was pointed out by many here that KDE4.1 needs me to up my ram to 1GB from 256...
Don't upgrade .

OP
F

FilledVoid

will it atleast be OK for unitasking ?
and what if I get a gig of ram ? I am free this sunday and I am thinking of giving good old SP Road a visit...

Trying it out shouldn't be bad but I don't have the time to test it out at the moment. ! GB RAM should be more than enough. Even in Gnome with Firefox ( 6 tabs) , Azureus, MPD, Sonata, Evolution, Xchat, Compiz and the other small thingies Im at 600 MB.

Trying it out shouldn't be bad but I don't have the time to test it out at the moment. ! GB RAM should be more than enough. Even in Gnome with Firefox ( 6 tabs) , Azureus, MPD, Sonata, Evolution, Xchat, Compiz and the other small thingies Im at 600 MB.
Then what about CPU and GPU ? Can Pentium 4 2.66GHz handle KDE4.1 ?
Is GMA900 GPU enough to run KWin-Composite ?

OP
F

FilledVoid

Then what about CPU and GPU ? Can Pentium 4 2.66GHz handle KDE4.1 ?
Is GMA900 GPU enough to run KWin-Composite ?
Sure I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Pat

Beyond Smart

I would have loved to help the community, but unfortunately I am not in India currently.

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux

I'm listing the people who have Arch installed and hence should have access to the packages. Ill start with my list.

Kalpik
FilledVoid - My Pacman -Qs file (Last Updated July 29th 2008 ) Arch 64 bit - I live in Kerala.
T159 - Detailed and Simple package List
Garbage
Gary4gar
MetalheadGautham
Pat

/me angry:mad::mad::mad:

Rahim

Married!

Any Audio Player with Library Management but not Amarok for KDEMod?

^^Amarok is THE best audio player available. It pwns iTunes, Rhythembox, Banshee, and every other audio player out there.

OP
F

FilledVoid

^^Amarok is THE best audio player available. It pwns iTunes, Rhythembox, Banshee, and every other audio player out there.
Its one huge piece of software too.

Top Bottom