The Alternative Browser thread

lakeport

Banned
Well most of the people know only a few web browsers. The most popular browsers i've heard of are the usual chrome/FF/opera. So i've decided to compile a list of alternative browsers that i've used. Feel free to add your own.

If i am unable to update this thread for some reason, i request the moderators to do so...

~Firefox based
1. Palemoon.
its an optimised web browser, both 32 and 64 bit versions available based on the firefox source code with a few optimisation to make it run faster on modern systems. This also means that it doesn't have the useless features that firefox has, like parental controls, accesibility, developers tools. It requires a processor with SSE2 support to run. Full technical details I'm using it and its great.

2. Waterfox 64 bit only-
Mozilla doesn’t provide official builds of Firefox compiled for 64-bit systems yet. Waterfox takes Firefox’s code and compiles it for 64-bit Windows, without adding additional features or making other changes. Many plugins, including Adobe Flash, now have 64-bit versions, so using a 64-bit browser for day-to-day browsing is very possible. If you’ve already got Flash installed, you may need to download its installer to get the 64-bit version, too.

3. Wyzo-
Wyzo is optimized for downloads and online media. It includes multi-source download capabilities and an integrated BitTorrent client. Its start page contains links to easily search torrents videos, TV shows, and music.

4. Cyberfox 64 bit only
Self explanatory.

5.. Comodo IceDragon-
Self explanatory.

6. Sea Monkey Complete web-suite. (Thanks Vignesh B)

~Chromium based

1. Comodo Dragon-
Comodo Dragon is developed by Comodo, which develops Internet security, firewall and antivirus applications

2.Rockmelt-
For the facebook addicts. It comes with tight facebook integration.

3. CoolNovo- CoolNovo, formerly known ChromePlus, is a version of Chrome created by programmers in China. It adds a pile of new user interface features, including a sidebar. You can run as internet explorer in a tab and there fore visit those IE-only websites even if you do not have internet explorer installed.

Others

www.lunascape.tv/ (suggested by topgear, thanks)

Last edited:

Vignesh B

Youngling
Add Sea Monkey to the firefox based browser list.
It is a web-browser(firefox), e-mail(thunderbird based), newsgroup and feed client, and IRC chat combined.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
First question. Why do I need alternative browser when primary browsers are available for free.
i use firefox as my primary browser & use palemoon exclusively for private session browsing.reason being i can use noscript+adblock for both types of browsing without the hassle of switching on & off the private browsing mode.

OP
lakeport

lakeport

Banned
I thought its dead.. I had used it a long ago though.. Anyways, I have used almost all mentioned above, you may add

K-meleon (not used a lot)

Yeah flock is dead..
As for K-Meleon.. i have used it and it doesn't work properly.. there are issues with web pages having complex scripts.. And the UI is messed up.. not comfortable to use at all... Only full-fledged browsers will be added to this list.. if you know what i mean.. ;)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
most people usually use Google Chrome what about the Original Chromium browser which I use a lot - can this be counted as well as an alternative browser ? ;-) and can you update/edit the first post now ?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
give Lunascape a try .. a browser with 3 engines ;-) (Trident, Gecko, WebKit) and get rid of any browser compatibility issues :
Lunascape - simple easy to use multi-featured web browser

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
most of the browsers are frontend of only a few browsers engine only but the frontend really matters a lot .. Compare IE and Maxthin and other IE based browsers .. all of them offer more features and functionality compared to IE but IE's most strong point is it's simplicity. I mainly use IE+IDM for downloads only.

Top Bottom