Teaching computers to Grandpa ?

cacklebolt

Ambassador of Buzz
My Aunt gave me a notebook and i dualbooted Ubuntu and Win7 on it. I want to teach my grandpa to use ubuntu. Since my Win7 license expired, I use ubuntu mainly. i want to teach my grandfather about computers. The very basics like What is an OS and simple functions like Emails, movies, music, casual browsing and a bit of downloading.
I did try to teach him and he knew a bit but now he doesnt remember them now. Please help me.

tkin

Back to school!!
My Aunt gave me a notebook and i dualbooted Ubuntu and Win7 on it. I want to teach my grandpa to use ubuntu. Since my Win7 license expired, I use ubuntu mainly. i want to teach my grandfather about computers. The very basics like What is an OS and simple functions like Emails, movies, music, casual browsing and a bit of downloading.
I did try to teach him and he knew a bit but now he doesnt remember them now. Please help me.
Please don't, Linux is not suited for beginners, just plain don't, start by teaching him win 7, if you want I can share a workaround how to get win 7(on PM ;))

nikufellow

In the zone
Start with low level assembly language Programming i would personally suggest asking him to by heart 8086 instruction set :p

cute.bandar

Cyborg Agent
Few suggestions:
1. don't give too many options. FOr example , don't tell them that there are 10 ways to open "my computer". Stick to one standard way.
2. Setup themes for large buttons, clean minimalistic interface.
3. I would suggest windows 8

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I think stick to Win 7. It make the learning easier for him with Start Menu.

He may confuse and forgot where Control Panel and etc. menus are...

Sudh4r

Fire Lord
All the very best on your first mission. Yeah begin with WIN 7.

And maintain PATIENCE. They will be annoying(experience) :p I taught my grandapa how to unlock and make a call from cell phone like 1000 times and he asks me to repeat the inst over and over.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
just beware of the scenario where he uploads photos accidentally to facebook :p

or

Click on those "you have win a new ipda, click here to claim" advertisements and riddling the pc with spywares.

tkin

Back to school!!
I taught my grandmother of 90 to take and make calls from a cell, lost half of my hair though :lol:

amjath

Human Spambot
I ll be extremely difficult for him to understand with Windows 8, stay with Windows 7
see my below post

Last edited:
Top Bottom