Tablet advise needed

sakumar79

Technomancer
Hi,
I am planning to purchase a tablet for personal (me and my wife), office use (documents, emails, browsing) and kids educational use. We are not yet decided what
to get. There are some tablets from local companies like HCL for 10k. Then, there is samsung tab 2 p3100 tablet at 19.3k. And finally, we are looking at ipad 2 wifi only model that comes to around 21.5k during some offers... We plan to buy in 1 or 2 months time.

We want to keep cost down if possible. Obviously, the local makes are the cheaper of the three, but are there any models which are really good in terms of build quality, customer support, performance, etc. Good build quality is important for us because (3 year old) kids will be handling it. Personally, I am not fully convinced of going for brands like Micromax, iball, etc - the only bigger player in the Indian market is HCL but that has a lot of negative criticisms as well...

We are looking at the following usage:
1. For office use - to add prestige value when dealing with clients - adding diary (appointments), notes taking during meetings, etc. The ipad2 will add more prestige value than samsung tab2 even though it is older.
2. For personal use - browsing, adding reminders,for chatting etc.
3. For kids educational use - playing educational games strictly under adult supervision.

If the local models are not upto mark, I feel the ipad2 will be better than tab2 even though it is older model due to bigger screen and better integration of hardware, OS and apps... Please let me know your comments.

Please give your thoughts...

Thanks in advance,
Arun

Gollum

Collector
for 3yr olds, cheaper is better, even if it breaks you wont suffer much of a loss
>now imagine breaking an ipad2 and then .....well, you decide.

OP
S

sakumar79

Technomancer
^^^ That is my worry... I want to keep it under 10k or 11k max if local brands is okay, but will stretch the budget for tab2 or ipad2 if local brand's quality will be poor...

Arun

mastervk

In the zone
get Ainol aurora 2 aur aurora v3 if budget is an issue

if you want brand and prestige buy iPAD....

for kids check the educational apps available..i think ios has more apps for kids than android..anyway more than breaking the tablet ,liquid damage will be more of an issue
with kid..but i have read about many parents in US using ipad for kid's education..you can check their experience...

if budget is not an issue ipad2 is best option.

OP
S

sakumar79

Technomancer
Even here in India, I have seen my brother in law using a Sony Tablet (30k I think) who allows his 2.5 year old daughter to use it for some educational games... And she handles it well... So, I am confused how much of an issue it will be...

Arun

mastervk

In the zone
you can check youtube for video showing how much abuse ipone/ipad can handle..in general these are good quality products and not as delicate as we think ...

it should not be a big issue ..

Soumik

Padawan
well i heard sayings that US ppl treat apple products as bible... :p
that said, it does have a very high corporate value, and is well built, so suits your needs just fine. Not sure, but i do feel iOS would be having more kids oriented apps than Android at the present moment.
I might also add Asus Transformer Prime/ Galaxy Note 10.1 from android side also, pretty good in terms of build quality and prestige value, but i think they are overstretching ur budget. Just give them a try and see which fits ur requirements best.

Stay away from local tabs as you kid might break it in an hour, and ur clients will not be liking the local and cheap look and feel on the cheaper tabs.

Top Bottom