System Specs Please comment and suggest!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkey

Padawan
Cant I use two psus seperately?
You can use 2 PSUs but the cabinet has to accomodate them. Also I think buying 2 PSUs is recommended only when going for insane systems requiring upward of 1500 Watts (with 3 8800 Ultras in SLI..). 2 PSUs will always cost you more than single PSU when your required load can be handled by either of them. I my opinion Tagan 1100 for 16k is a good and future proof buy. If still not satisfied then you can go for Tagan 1300 W PSU for 18k. Thats ultimate single PSU.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
I would pick Silverstone or Seventeam compared to Coolermaster, Tagan,Corsair.

Seventeam 600W i use is a monster so their 1KW will be equally good monster.

3870X2 wont need 1000W PSU at all.
A good 750-850W one from brands like Silverstone or Seventeam should do the job exceptionally well.

Using 2 PSUs is quite easy and simple BUT really not recommended to power any hardware devices.Use it for powering Fans, CCFLs, Watercooling loop etc...

monkey

Padawan
I had asked for 1100W power supply based on the article by anadtech: *www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3232&p=4

Though they didn't feel need for higher PSU than 1KW but it is still better to have some extra margin.

Also Seventeam / Silverstone are good but i doubt if they have any official backup in India. If some thing goes wrong for such expensive PSU then whom should we go back too?

I also think that assuming that "if 600 W PSU by any particular company is good then its higher wattage PSU will also be equally good". If you look at reviews then you will find that each PSU has its strength and weakness under various power range. Digit has reveiwed Tagan and they found it to be excellent PSU for extreme users.

OP
B

BULLZI

Ambassador of Buzz
I have rite now Corsair 620 watt. This can handle two 8800GTXs with quite ease. I hope rite now my psu will handle the HD3870x2.
For crossfire, I will use anoyther 650 watts from Seventeam/Tagan.
This shud solve the problem, what do u think?

darklord

Cyborg Agent
I had asked for 1100W power supply based on the article by anadtech: *www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3232&p=4

Though they didn't feel need for higher PSU than 1KW but it is still better to have some extra margin.

Also Seventeam / Silverstone are good but i doubt if they have any official backup in India. If some thing goes wrong for such expensive PSU then whom should we go back too?

I also think that assuming that "if 600 W PSU by any particular company is good then its higher wattage PSU will also be equally good". If you look at reviews then you will find that each PSU has its strength and weakness under various power range. Digit has reveiwed Tagan and they found it to be excellent PSU for extreme users.
Agreed but you wouldnt have made that comment if you knew what Seventeam is all about and where they stand ;)
Tagan doesnt even come close to Seventeam or Silvy thats for sure. :)

monkey

Padawan
I have rite now Corsair 620 watt. This can handle two 8800GTXs with quite ease. I hope rite now my psu will handle the HD3870x2.
For crossfire, I will use anoyther 650 watts from Seventeam/Tagan.
This shud solve the problem, what do u think?

Corsair 620 W shuld be enough to run single 3870X2 card. You will need to upgrade your PSU when you add second card. Your idea seems to be good (that is if your cabinet can accomodate 2 PSUs).

@ BULLZI: I also saw that you wanted to get X48 mobo. While these mobos are not yet available anywhere I got a hint of price when they will be launched - $400!! i got it from www.zipzoomfly.com. This is far higher than X38 based Asus Maximus Formula ($266) on the same site. This means X48 should be around 23k in India when launched!!!! Do you have such budget?

@darklord: I am not doubting the quality of Seventeam PSUs. I know they are great quality and performance PSUs. I only wanted to see some reviews (and comparison) of them - especialy of 1100W version. Also my concern was for After-sale-service. Does Seventeam has authorised dealer in india? Who will look after the warranty? These high rated PSUs are expensive and warranty/local support is something we should look for.

Peace.

OP
B

BULLZI

Ambassador of Buzz
Well if such high price then I will opt for X38 instead.
@darklord

Has the IX38 quad gt got two true PCI-E X16 slots?

OP
B

BULLZI

Ambassador of Buzz
@Darklord
u didnt reply me buddy.
I will reply to ur pm tomorrow.

I found out that IX38 Quad GT fulfills my requirement :).
Thanx for ur suggestion.

@monkey
Do u know how I can manually on the 2nd PSU?

darklord

Cyborg Agent
@Darklord
u didnt reply me buddy.
I will reply to ur pm tomorrow.

I found out that IX38 Quad GT fulfills my requirement :).
Thanx for ur suggestion.

@monkey
Do u know how I can manually on the 2nd PSU?
I made a long reply, donno where that went :p
Anyways, Good choice on Abit IX38 Quad GT ;)
You wont regret it :)

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
2 PSUs will always cost you more than single PSU when your required load can be handled by either of them. I my opinion Tagan 1100 for 16k is a good and future proof buy. If still not satisfied then you can go for Tagan 1300 W PSU for 18k. Thats ultimate single PSU.

How?
- 1 TAGAN 1100W = 16000/-
- 2 Cooler Master 600W Extreme = 7200/-
Heck
- 2 Corsair HX620 = 13600/-

U still are saving 2400/- in case of Corsair!

Its not about price/performance. Its about space.
Man whats better than ur every single hardware getting a dedicated PSU!

Last edited:

darklord

Cyborg Agent
How?
Heck

Well 2 PSU setup isnt really recommended, even a single 850W or 900W would be more than sufficient. If you want, you can use the secondary PSU for Fans, CCFL, Water cooling loop etc. Never use it for main hardware components in a system.

monkey

Padawan
How?
Heck

My mistake. I should have realised that as the wattage increases so does the price/watt (same as in hard disk). Anyhow you shouldn't have compared Coolermaster 600W Extreme. It is a very basic PSU with average performance at the best.

@Darklord: I think you should power both the GFX cards with one PSU and rest of the whole system with another. This way both cards will receive balanced power (and since 3870X2 require separate power supply it shouldn't
be dependent on power from the motherboard). What i want to ask is "Will your cards get damaged if they get their demanded power while rest of the system is switched off?" (i.e. if PSU connected to the system gets damaged while the PSU attached to the GFX cards is working fine?). We know that if the GFX card does not get separate power (high performance GFX card) then the system becomes unstable at max and might restart automatically frequently. So should the reverse condition be that bad that your cards (or system) get damaged?

OP
B

BULLZI

Ambassador of Buzz
Well so guyz are insisting on taking a high end PSU of 850-100 watt. Well I will look for a decent one after 3-4 months when I set up crossfire. Rite now, let it go guyz :).
Just confirm will I be able to run my system with my current psu 620 watt Corsair?
Specs :
C2D E6400 on Zalman CNPS 9700 @ 3.2 GHZ (Will change with 45 nm Quad).
P5B Deluxe ( Changing it with Quad GT/Asus Maximus, both getting for abt same price)
HD 3870x2
2*1 GB Corsair Dominator PC 8500 ( Adding another 2 GB from OCZ/Crucial Ballistix)
160 GB HDD + 500 GB HDD
2 DVD writers

@Darklord
I am sorry man. Got back home from office abt midnite yesterday :(.
Was so tired that even didnt turn on my comp. Will post u details tomorrow with price.
Dont mind plz :).

darklord

Cyborg Agent
@Darklord: I think you should power both the GFX cards with one PSU and rest of the whole system with another. This way both cards will receive balanced power (and since 3870X2 require separate power supply it shouldn't
be dependent on power from the motherboard). What i want to ask is "Will your cards get damaged if they get their demanded power while rest of the system is switched off?" (i.e. if PSU connected to the system gets damaged while the PSU attached to the GFX cards is working fine?). We know that if the GFX card does not get separate power (high performance GFX card) then the system becomes unstable at max and might restart automatically frequently. So should the reverse condition be that bad that your cards (or system) get damaged?
Well the key is, both the PSUs should start and shutdown at exactly the same time.So you need to keep that in mind and basically make a switch or something so that both of them start together and shutdown together.
I have done all this when i had a SLI setup and good PSUs were hard to come by.
I am telling from my own experience, its not worth it.Not that i killed some hardware but still.
A single powerful 650W should handle a system with Quad and 3870X2 easily.

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
^Yeah he is right.
Days back i have read somewhere that a good 550W PSU is enough to run a X6800, 2X8800GTX SLI, 4HDD,4GB Dual Channel RAM, few fans and blah blah....

The main power is required in overclocking.

AS darklord said that both PSU should start simultaneously, in this case u can use a UPS to power then together.

@Bullzi
Man ur PSU is the best i believe!
Its has some horse power 12V Dual Rail and what else u need.
If u still want some more than i suggest ENERMAX 850W.

I have seen this PSU is several benchmarks and its really worthy.
Though there are many options now like COrsair TX850, OCZ game extreme 850W etc. so its all upto u.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
^Yeah he is right.
Days back i have read somewhere that a good 550W PSU is enough to run a X6800, 2X8800GTX SLI, 4HDD,4GB Dual Channel RAM, few fans and blah blah....

The main power is required in overclocking.

AS darklord said that both PSU should start simultaneously, in this case u can use a UPS to power then together.

@Bullzi
Man ur PSU is the best i believe!
Its has some horse power 12V Dual Rail and what else u need.
If u still want some more than i suggest ENERMAX 850W.

I have seen this PSU is several benchmarks and its really worthy.
Though there are many options now like COrsair TX850, OCZ game extreme 850W etc. so its all upto u.
Exactly, his HX620 will power that 3870X2 easily :)

I personally dont like the OCZ GX series, the 700 atleast had awkward ripple, i dont like it:mad:

Also please note this point about the Tagan 1100W, under load ( Series load is added gradually) it couldnt even survive at 850-900W load ;)
It popped at around 860W of load or so ;)
Compared to that Silverstone Zeus 850W pulled off 1000W load.
See what i was saying all this while :rolleyes:

Tagan used to be a very reputed brand in PSUs few years back when THEY made their own PSUs.
Thats not the case anymore,IIRC Topwer is their OEM these days, they dont make a single PSU these days, just market it.;)

OP
B

BULLZI

Ambassador of Buzz
Well I am getting Asus Maximus for ~ 13K.
Hows the deal? Getting from abroad of course. Confirmed order today.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
13k is a brilliant price.Congrats

Where are you getting it from ?
I am again itchy for a new mobo, i am bored with the Foxconn MARS :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom