System Specs Please comment and suggest!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BULLZI

Ambassador of Buzz
Hi guyz,

I have decided on the following proccy, motherboard and graphics card :

1. Proccy - Rite now I will use my old proccy. I will change it with 45nm
quadcore when it will be available.

2. Mobo - I am preferring Asus Maximus Formula that is not so costly as
Asus Striker II and also X38 chipset is gr8 for overclocking.The
board has also two true PCI-E X16 slots. It also comes with a
sound card.

3. VGA - HD3870X2. I may add another one after a couple of months when
price comes down.

Now as I hv also told previously, I dont wanna upgrade for at least 3 yrs.
Will this machine be future-proof for 3 yrs?

Any suggestions abt ny other options are most welcome.Thanx.
:)

Pathik

Google Bot
And what is your budget?
IMO Now is not the time to make any significant upgrades..
Almost every component is on the brink of being replaced by a newer technology.
You should wait for x48, g96/g100 proccys and 45nm quads availability..
And maybe DDR3.
Anyways your config isn't that bad. You should sail thru 2008 without major hiccups.

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
Dude 2GB Video RAM will be a kill for another 2 years. But technology changing every second....no one knows what future will bring!
But 2GB video RAM.....phew! Thats lot of horse power!!!!

OP
B

BULLZI

Ambassador of Buzz
I know my config is a good one. But i wanna make it better.
I cant play Crysis at full glory even at 1240 * 768.
I need at least the gfx card as soon as possible.
Budget abt 50-55K.

amitash

Intel OCer
for a budget of 55k u can get an 8800GT or GTX and the maximus formula...or if u want sli go for the striker extreme and 2 8800GTs

OP
B

BULLZI

Ambassador of Buzz
Why to go for GTX with such high price and poor VFM??
Rather will get twoo 8800GTS 512 MB in sli than the GTX :D.
I am waiting for the upcoming launch of NVIDIA 9800GT/GTX.
I am totally confused.
If NVIDIA cards dont perform well, HD3870X2 will do.

Last edited:

nvidia

-----ATi-----
^^Dont get the 9800GX2. Its 8800GT in SLI with lower clock speeds. And its performance is lower than two 8800GT in SLI.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Wait till March end and check for new nvidia 9 Series for details. It will be better if You get a 9 series card for future proofing. If you are going to use the comp for High end gaming then rest assured it will be outdated in 1.5 year tops. :(

My PC is future proof for rest of my life as I only use it for Internet Browsring and chatting and oNly one game I play is AoC for which My Config is a way too overkill :D

Last edited:
OP
B

BULLZI

Ambassador of Buzz
^^Dont get the 9800GX2. Its 8800GT in SLI with lower clock speeds. And its performance is lower than two 8800GT in SLI.

Thnx for the info, mate. I wont buy that if its really two 8800GTs.

@Techwiz

I will only get 9 series cards in SLI if they hv got DX10.1
Otherwise I am in real confusion.
I also hv in mind abt dual 8800GTS/HD3870x2.

I will get a mobo according to it.
Processor as told earlier, 45nm quad.

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
^ thats because ATI just launched new cards :)
there was no need of this crappy 9600GT
they could have done something to mobile graphics and some new motherboard chipset.
And coming to the topic-what makes u think Asus Maximus formula or Striker are future proof?all thats future proof in them is support for newer cpu.rest is future spoof.if u really want something good for that money,get a 8800GTX or a 8800GT + ddr3 motherboard - now thats futureproof.

OP
B

BULLZI

Ambassador of Buzz
What I meant by future proof is no upgrade for 3 yrs.
I dont need ddr3 ram as in games, 4gb ddr2 and 4 gb ddr3 wont make much of a difference.
Abt mobo, check my post previously, I didnt decide till now which one to go for.
By the way Maximus got 1600 FSB, support for Penryns, gr8 overclocker, three PCI-E slots ( two of them 2.0 with true 16X for crossfire).
Asus is also providing additional sound card.
Arent these enuff??
And also in gaming, more important is GPU. Why the hell are u suggesting GTX whereas one can get GTS 412 MB for half price and better performance??!!
By the way, where did I say anything about Striker??!!

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
1.my mistake abt striker
2.8800GT OC is comparable to 8800GTX stock,not OC and i didn't recommend it-what i want to recommend is 8800GT and DDR3
3.Asus Maximus is great board-for this year only-wait till november\december and watch it fade
4.ur current config needs only a gfx card and another 2 gb ram to run crysis at its best

OP
B

BULLZI

Ambassador of Buzz
Yes u r rite.
But I want quad core system.
As 45 nm quad out now, I want to have it. But my mobo dont supports it :(.
Hence, wanna change the whole.
Anyway, next yr I can buy nothing and strictly for computer purpose. I hv to buy within April-May and for the next 3 yrs, my budget for upgrade is nil.
Thts why I need a decent upgrade that wont disappoint me for 3 yrs :).

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
the point is that in march 2009 (1yr from ur purchase),assuming current stats and almost near launch of Nehalems, DDR2 will start to be obsolete and in case u want to upgrade-u will have to change the board.DDR2 wil suffer the same consequences as the case with DDR1 now-its damn expensive
In my opinion a 3 year rig definitely has to be a latest one and DDR3 board is a must
it u want a 2yr rig-certainly go with it

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
Well u can rely on ASUS P5K-C
That motherboard support both DDR2 as well as DDR3 RAMs but it wont sport 1600 FSB which is required for giant quadcores!

By the way:*technewstime.com/hardware-news/intels-6-core-xeon-and-nehalem-cpu-info-leaked

And about graphics card: Get an MSI 8800GT OC edition - Performs better, Less expensive and great value!

OP
B

BULLZI

Ambassador of Buzz
Actually I need DX 10.1 support. I am going to need it in the next year I guess. Isnt HD3870x2 a good card? Plz post ur views abt it.
And one more thing. Suggest a mobo with DDR3 support, 1600 FSB. Is there any that will come in my budget?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom