superzoom or dslr??

amitbhawani

Broken In
I have a budget of around 20k for a digital camera.
I am confused as to shud i go for the superzoom camera offerings from Nikon (Nikon Coolpix L120) or Fujifilm Finepix S1800. Or shud I go for the Canon EOS 1000D DSLR

Plz help me out...

r4gs

In the zone
Depends entirely on what you want to do with the camera and the money you're willing to invest.

Both cameras are good and have their advantages and disadvantages.

With superzooms you won't need to bother changing lenses, cleaning the sensor, etc. Plus, you will have a lot of optical zoom to play around with.

DSLRs will give you, arguably, better image quality, esp. in low light, the ability to change the lenses and hence, plan for future upgrades.

Problem with superzooms is that the image quality quality does suffer over a lot of the zoom range, but then, an entry level dslr will only give you an, effectively, 3x zoom lens bundled and you will have to spend a lot more to get a decent tele lens.

My advice, if you're not going to invest money into photography, just get yourself a superzoom or a really good compact camera. They will have the same controls as an slr anyway.

pulkitpopli2004

Cyborg Agent
depend on your usage actually.. if you wanna start photography as a hobby den get a low budget DSLR for the starting..
other for occasional photographs with family,friends, parties,hangout with friends.. superzoom is best..

sujoyp

Grand Master
to be frank if u are ready to invest lots of money every sometime then get DSLR else get a good superzoom like panasonic fz35 or canon sx20IS

I have spent 28k on SLR then another 5k for macro closup photography then now another 7-10k on zoom lens:-( Its goes like this;-)

sujoyp

Grand Master
yes absolutely...if u suppose buy a 1000D you have to invest more on macro lens or some setup

But if u get a good quality superzoom u wont have to invest anything more its already inbuilt

OP
A

amitbhawani

Broken In
If I buy a DSLR its going to be the 1000D dats the only one in my budget.

can u name a few good superzooms with in the range of 10-15k

OP
A

amitbhawani

Broken In
to be honest the only thing that keeps pulling me towards the EOS 1000D is the term "DSLR" when I think about it, it keeps me reminding- "professional, manual controls, large size (lol)"
inspite of the fact i dont know even the "P" of professional photograhy.
Someone please help me out and plz get the DSLR ghost off my mind.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
@amitbhawani, the quality of the images you get out of the dslr will obvsly be better, but this is because of the larger sensor size, you will get good enough macro shots with a superzoom for most purposes, including printing. Plus you can shift from great macro shots to great superzoom shots without a lot of tomfoolery. The prosumer cameras are very, very good. A dSLR does not come with an option of more lenses, but rather its a bigger investment than you think it is. You need at least two other lenses, the 50mm and say a zoom lens apart from the standard lens to get the range of photos that you will get on a prosumer. Still, dSLRs are a tier up, it depends on how seriously you want to take up photography actually.

Sarath

iDota
DSLRs are obviously better than any other kinds in all respects except just one; cost.
The lenses end up being more expensive than the camera itself after just getting 2 or 3 lenses.
If you like photography then get yourself a DSLR. After you get it you will obvioulsy want to learn more about photography and will.
But if you wont be getting more lenses in the future then you should opt for something else.
I dont own one but used my friends Nikon which set him up some 55k.

Let us know what you've bought.

OP
A

amitbhawani

Broken In
^^I just completed skul and moving on to college and I really have never take photography too seriously before. I just had an nikon digicam (dont knw which model but was around 6-7k) when i brought it.

The use of this new cam will mostly be on hangouts with friends, holidays and vacations with family, backyard garden macros.

So what would you suggest. and just to note I am getting this with my pocket money so the lighter on the pocket the better it is.

just wanna add- also suggest some which looks close to a DSLR.

How are the Fujifilm Finepix Superzooms (model numbers were like S2500, S1800, S2590) ??

pulkitpopli2004

Cyborg Agent
^^ IMO you should get Superzoom digicam instead of DSLR.. for best image quality, depth in picture and plenty of manual controls DSLR is gr8..
but on the other side is also heavy, lil complex, costly and require proper care too..

for your usage i think a good superzoom camera can work best..

sujoyp

Grand Master
yup get a superzoom at take pics and enjoy:))

As I said earlier get FZ35/fz38 from panasonic or canon SX20IS or SX30IS select whichever falls in ur budget...

I think panasonic fz35 is best for u:smile:

OP
A

amitbhawani

Broken In
any ideas about the ones by Fujifilm???

i think the FZ35 goes beyond my budget- around 28k

Buy Panasonic Lumix FZ35 - 12.1 MP / 2.7 inch LCD / 18 X Zoom / HD Movie / iA Mode at Best Price in India – Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

even the canon ones are beyond my budget...
something within 15-16k

sujoyp

Grand Master
no the price is wrong...u will get it around 20k in local shops

eBay India: Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 12.1MP Digital Camera with 18 (item 270730709520 end time 04-May-2011 21:01:48 IST)

OP
A

amitbhawani

Broken In
what about these- (plz bear with me)

FujiFilm FinePix S2500HD Price, FujiFilm FinePix S2500HD Review India, FujiFilm Camera India - Infibeam.com

FujiFilm FinePix S1800 Price, FujiFilm FinePix S1800 Review India, FujiFilm Camera India - Infibeam.com

Canon PowerShot SX130 + Free 4GB Card , Case & Charger Price, Canon PowerShot SX130 + Free 4GB Card , Case & Charger Review India, Canon Camera India - Infibeam.com

espicially this one

Buy Nikon Coolpix L120 (Black) at Best Price in India – Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

im getting the coolpix L120 at 13k

OP
A

amitbhawani

Broken In
any ideas about the Sony DSC HX1??
looks good to me

narrowed down to these-
Sony DSC HX1

Nikon Coolpix L120

Fujifilm S2950

Which one to go for?