superzoom or dslr??

pulkitpopli2004

Cyborg Agent
its difficult to choose between Nikon L120 and Sony..
Nikon has much higher resolution screen, Better wide angle, More MP, small size, large sensor, a slight more zoom and cheaper too..

on otherside Sony has Higher resolution movies recording(HD), CMOS sensor which is better than any other sensor i Think..sony has flip-out screen, works best at its widest zoom of 20x also, also has a viewfinder that can save battery life by keeping the screen turned off.

its better you go and try both on some shop.. I would have chosen Sony..

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Guys I was planning to buy a Camera next month, thus asking in advance. I will buy a Super Zoom Camera, I have decided it, DSLR is too heavy for me and there are other Cons too....So I've finalized these ones,

1- Nikon Coolpix S9100- Has 18x Optical, Price around 18.5k,
2- Nikon Coolpix L120- Has 21x Optical, Price around 14.3k ! Don't know why this is cheaper than others, Lens maybe !!! Need ideas.
3- Canon Power Shot SX30 IS- Has 35x Optical, DIGIC 4, 720p...Price around 25.5k,
4- Nikon Coolpix P500- Has 36x Optical, 1080p, EXPEED C2, it's a bit lighter than the above.

I had previously used cams like, EOS 350D (yea a DSLR, and that was it), IXUS 900 and S5 IS. So it's all Canon, and I am quite used with their DIGIC Image processing technology and blah blah...I've never used a Nikon. So my query is, Which one should I get from the above mentioned 4 cams? (and if there is anything needs to be included please do tell, but either Canon or Nikon). Is Nikkor Lens of Nikon any better than Canon's? I like Superzoom cams, I will use it to interest to Photography, it's more a like a hobby you know, if it's light weighted then it would be very kind. But I am not gonna compromise on LENS Quality. I have searched Dpreview but SX30, P500 isn't listed there.

Any good REVIEW website will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

pulkitpopli2004

Cyborg Agent
you have choosed each camera from different price bracket.. how much money you want to spend on digicam??

in less than 20k - both are similar in performance.. but yes Nikon S9100 is better coz of few features like HD video, small size and lighter as you want, and better CMOS sensor too..

and above 20k - P500 is definitely better than canon.. the only thing is Canon at max zoom will giver you better picture coz its aperture is lil more..

ithehappy

Human Spambot
you have choosed each camera from different price bracket.. how much money you want to spend on digicam??

in less than 20k - both are similar in performance.. but yes Nikon S9100 is better coz of few features like HD video, small size and lighter as you want, and better CMOS sensor too..

and above 20k - P500 is definitely better than canon.. the only thing is Canon at max zoom will giver you better picture coz its aperture is lil more..

My budget is 25k. The S9100 is really an attractive unit. Having 18x optical in that small and light weighted camera is great but P500 is greater. Getting confused here !

pulkitpopli2004

Cyborg Agent
yeah only size and weight can be issue..
but otherwise P500 is far better from s9100.. zoom, screen, macro capability all are good in P500

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Yea, P500 is definitely way ahead. Confused! Can't leave the size and weight of S9100, on the other hand can't compromise on P500's raw quality !

Last edited:

Sounava

In the zone
Yea, P500 is definitely way ahead. Confused! Can't leave the size and weight of S9100, on the other hand can't compromise on P500's raw quality !
Note that there is nothing way ahead in terms of "quality". P500 is better than S9100 in terms of higher zoom and some more "features". Do not expect better pictures.

warrior047

In the zone
yup get a superzoom at take pics and enjoy:))

As I said earlier get FZ35/fz38 from panasonic or canon SX20IS or SX30IS select whichever falls in ur budget...

I think panasonic fz35 is best for u:smile:

i want to buy fz35 but cant find anywhere now...:(

sujoyp

Grand Master
yup couldnt find it now

but you can go for usual canon SX230HS with 14x optical zoom
Panasonic TZ20 with 16x optical zoom

both with all manual controls

choudang

Padawan
hey sujoy .. how you doing ..

anyway .. i just diverting the topic to lenses and apparently to sujoy :mrgreen: i am little bit confused regarding my third lens between 55-200 and 55-300, cuz sumtimes i do miss a zoom level. 55-200 will cost 7.5K and 300 will cost 14k (both nikkor @ pritam chandni chawk). AFS 50mm 1.8 G is brilliant when it comes to low f-stop and bokeh. not going for macro now.

back to the topic, PnS cams are really good when it comes to inbuilt zoom and ease of use. but there are limitations which can be diminished with a DSLR. until nd unless going into profession, entry level DSLR is a good choice but yes .. keep your pocket ready.

i do feel proud when my friends asked for my one instead of their nikon P100 which is having 26x optical zoom and i have only 3x zoom with (18-55 mm)

sujoyp

Grand Master
Hi Choudang :) I am fine

I am sorry I dont remember which 2 lenses do u have ...do u have 18-55 and AFS 50mm ??

AFS 55-300 VR is the right choice...I have 55-200 and I feel its bit less on zoom...Its not good for birding but fine for potraits and regular party....u can get these lens soo cheap...great..I got 55-200 for 11.5k

I would have suggested you AFS 70-300mm VR which I am planning to get in near future coz of better built, full frame lens, faster autofocus and better sharpness at 300mm but its also costlier

choudang

Padawan
gr8 ....

yes .. i have 18-55 mm and 50mm f/1.8 G and planning to have a zoom one. I have seen 55-250mm (canon) and that is quite useful for day2day photography. thanks for your input, will grab 55-300 once i go back to delhi.

:mrgreen: pritam @chandni chawk is best for without bill deal. two months back one of colleague got the 55-300 @ 14k. even i closed my deal @ 27.8K (with bill) for d3100. :mrgreen:

ps:
are you tallking about AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm, with this 55-70mm would be missing but that does not make any diff.

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
55-300 @14k is a superb deal

yes I am talking about AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm ....its a much pro lens with all the qualities I told above...but it cost around 24k

Top Bottom