Suggest a config

harshsavla

Right off the assembly line
1. What is the purpose of the computer?
A: Home use, Internet surfing & downloads. Music and movies (avi divx occasionally hd ones), ms office,programming(db+server+IDE). no gaming

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A:yup

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 22k for the cabinet

4. Planning to overclock?
A: a bit reluctant

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: windows 7. dual boot later with linux (fedora) havent thought this through.

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: 500gb

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: for now not plannin on a screen. will use a old one.19inch (tft)

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 5

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: i have built a couple before but its been a while, have been out of touch. would prefer prof unless suggested otherwise

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: in the comin week

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: yes very much

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: i have a lg dvd drive. (outside of cabinet: screen + keyboard+speaker)

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Mumbai. can buy from max Navi Mumbai or Thane

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: issue is old sys is completely crashed so need a cabinet to continue routine
mainly looking for a future proof system. so that later can build on by adding better screen, graphics.
so currently looking for workin with basic graphic of the motherboard or cpu+gpu combi.
would want usb 3 in mobo if its not really a big price gap.

there are some combi i have in mind and completely flexi for change.

combi 1
intel i5 650 + intel DH55HC/P7H55D-M/P7H55D-M-PRO

combi 2
amd phenom II 1055t
+ M4A785TD-V-EVO/M4A88T M/MA880GM-UD2H usb 2
M4A88TD M EVO/ M4A88T M/USB3 /MA880GM-USB3 usb 3

common
corsair 4gb (2*2GB)
500gb 7200 32/64 cache wd/seagate
lg dvd rw

it will be great if u guys can throw some light on cost and model no
plus please suggest more combis

ssb1551

Technomancer
Don't opt for i5 650.Instead go for i5 760 which comes for around 9.6-9.8k(online store prices).If possible try getting it cheap at local retailers.760 is a beast in gaming(if at all you are planning to game).

Corsair XMS3 2×2GB DDR3 1600MHz - 2.95k(itwares) or if you want cheaper ones then Corsair DDR3 1333MHz - 1.3k(itwares).Try to get it cheaper at some of your local retailers.
Seagate 500GB - 1.8k
LG DVD Writer - .9k
If you need cabinet NZXT GAMMA - 2k

As far as CPU+MoBo option goes I would suggest you better wait for Sandybridge to be readily available.But if you are in a hurry you can go for i5 760 or AMD alternative :
X6 1075T - 9.6k(itwares)
Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H - 4.8k OR ECS 885GM A2 - 4.3k(techshop) OR the Asus one you have mentioned.

OP
H

harshsavla

hey ssb thanks for the i/p
i dont plan to do gaming .
i5 760 which motherboard should i go for.
ill need somethin with built in graphic cause if i am not mistaken i5 760 doesnt come with integrated graphics. or a comparable mobo + graphic card model.

hey vicky, from estimated and pre order price
sandy bridge i5's around 8k+ and mobo too 8k+ this might grow over budget.
still i'm considerin it.
Besides wats ur take on amd's 1055t /1075t are they comparable to i5's.

Last edited:

ssb1551

Technomancer
Oh yeah I forgot about the graphics issue of i5 760.Yeah the MoBos don't have graphics.You gotta buy a discrete GPU for the i5 setup.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
still i'm considerin it.

Well 1055t/1075t have a bit better performance in video encoding and heavily multithreaded tasks over i5 7 series. But the i5's perform better in gaming and also perform great in multithreaded apps not to forget lower power consumption and run way cooler.

If sandybridge is out of your budget, then consider i5 760 @ 9.1k and pair it gigabyte h55 @ 3.2k.

For gpu ( which is mandatory in this case) tell us your budget.

OP
H

harshsavla

i inquired with some local dealer on sandy bridge they say can't etimate anythin b4 20 days min.
well i am looking for a total cabinet budget around 22k.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Well buddy i5 760 wont come within 22k but you can opt for athlon2 x4 based system.

Take a look at the following & considering your cabinet budget excluding monitor & ups:

AMD Athlon II x4 640 @ 5k
Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H @ 4.5k
Corsair VS2GB1333D3 2GB @ 1.2k
Sapphire HD5670 @ 5k
Seagate 500GB 7200.12 @ 1.7k
LG 22X SATA DVD @ 0.9k
FSP saga II 500W @ 2.1k
CM Elite 310 @ 1.5k

Total = 21.9k

If possible , add another ram and make it 2x2gb.

If you want a phenom 2 x6 based system, then up your budget a bit and opt for phenom 2 x6 1055t @ 7.8k in lieu for athlon 2 x4. Try getting the newly launched 1065t at about the same price of 1055t. These are 95 watt cpu's.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
hey ssb thanks for the i/p
i dont plan to do gaming .
i5 760 which motherboard should i go for.
ill need somethin with built in graphic cause if i am not mistaken i5 760 doesnt come with integrated graphics. or a comparable mobo + graphic card model.

still i'm considerin it.

h67 will be much less than 8k IMO like h55. worth a wait of SNB.

OP
H

harshsavla

hey vicky,
thanks for new config.
well a couple k's here there shouldnt be a much of a prob if x6 or i5 760 are real performers.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
@ harshsavla

You are most welcome friend. If you can do some bucks here and there then i recommend waiting for sandybridge cpu's. They are real performers and future proof as well. Also like jas said, h67 boards might end up lot cheaper than their p67 counterparts so just wait a bit more.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
even if SB is out of budget, i5 750-760 along with 5series mobo should have a good price cut (cause these chips still available in market & in good quantity). so making them a good alternate to lowend SBs.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Why We are suggesting Sandy Bridge or Core i5 760 when OP specifically mentioned that gaming is not at all the priority. I think we should suggest him a better feature rich configuration rather than a high performance rig.

I will go with Vicky's suggestion, just some modifications to it:

Phenom II X6 1055T @ 8K
MSI 880GMA-E45 @ 5.8K
Seagate 500 GB @ 1.7K
FSP saga II 500W @ 2.1k
CM Elite 310 @ 1.5k
Palit GT 430 1 GB @ 4.6K or Biostar GT 240 1 GB @ 4.2K

Total 23.7K including GT 430.

The reason is going with AMD 6 core is the kind of operations OP has mentioned a 6 core processor is better suitable for as it offers better multitasking capabilities.
The MSI motherboard is a feature rich mobo and supports new SATA 3 and USB 3.
Suggesting an nVidia card over ATI one as OP mentioned he is going to use Linux as the 2nd OS. ATI drivers are known to have issues with Linux Drivers and their support is very bad on Linux.

Top Bottom