Suggest a basic laptop

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Hi guys. Need an absolute basic laptop. The following are my requirements:

1) What is your budget?

19-22k

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Asus, Toshiba
b. Dislike: Lennovo

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?

Coding in java, html5 etc. using eclipse and custom sdk's involving open source framework. Should be capable enough to play 1080p mkv,mp4 videos with ease without applying any post processing filters. General tasks, like browsing and spreadsheet. No gaming.

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?

Should be more than 720p and considering this price range, should be 1366x768. Preferably matte.

6) Anything else you would like to say?

Purchase will be strictly local.

Need your help guys. I guess the processor to lookout in this range is the sandybridge based pentium dual core B950/960. But will ivybridge based pentium dualcores launch soon? Will make the purchase asap as i'll probably be moving out to chennai.

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@vicky, at 22k all are 2nd gen Pentium Dual core based laptop. If you can increase budget by 2k more, check this: Asus X54C-SX261D. Should be available for 23-24k locally.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Thanks sam. :) Its got i3 and i guess its hyperthreaded. But won't the apps i mentioned be sufficient in pentium B series?

Is this extra processing power justified in my usage? I guess both come with hd 3000 graphics.

I'll check this model for sure. Can you suggest some toshiba models? My dealer is giving me some discounts and other offers with toshiba laptops.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
performance will be mostly same but DC doesn't have HD3000 rather only HD Graphics which is most likely HD3000 with some of the EUs disabled and is clocked low. Spending 2k more for i3 doesn't like a bad idea as usually you get 320GB HDD with cheaper models.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Ok sam will check this out asap. And what about toshiba?

And any idea on ivybridge counterparts at this range? They have hd 4000.

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Toshiba C640-I4017. Only toshiba with 2nd gen i3 within 25k but doesn't look attractive and the touchpad feels cheap. If you are getting this for 22k, go for it else do check the Asus. Looks matters a bit ;)

Intel is still refreshing the 2nd gen PDC. And as pentiums are usually binned chips failing to attain frequency for i series, maybe Intel doesn't have enough chips as of now.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Sam the guy quoted 25.5k for the asus one. Will check toshiba tomorrow. The asus one looks awesome and even offers usb 3.0. Prices are a bit higher at my place.

saswat23

Human Spambot
Why dont you buy it from BBSR then. IMO if you bargain a bit quoting online price, I am sure the dealer will consider it for a lower price.
IMO the Asus one would a better choice as it has 500GB HDD with USB 3.0 port and also runs cooler. Toshiba run hotter next to HP (AFAIK).

vkl

Cyborg Agent
^^Difference between Asus X44H-VX025D and Asus X54C-SX261D
1.x44h lacks full/numeric keyboard
2.x54c has one unused memory slot while x44h has none so ram cant be added in x44h without removing the one that comes with it.
3.obviously the screen size

Rest specs are same.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Thanks for comparing mate.:) Even i knew about the lack of a ram slot but had no idea about the keyboard not being full numeric.

So x54c is still the first choice.

@ Sam

What about trinity laptops from asus mate? Will they appear within this month in india?

Will they have some models in the 25-26k figure?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ Thanks for comparing mate.:) Even i knew about the lack of a ram slot but had no idea about the keyboard not being full numeric.

So x54c is still the first choice.

@ Sam

What about trinity laptops from asus mate? Will they appear within this month in india?

Will they have some models in the 25-26k figure?

14" laptops doesn't have numberpad usually.

budget Trinity laptops will be late for sure. specially one without GPU. keep an eye on Samsung & HP. They should launch first.

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Ok guys planning to increase the budget and might go around 33-34k.

Is hp pavilion G6 2005 AX a good buy? The dual cards look good and might serve me well as a temporary desktop replacement for everything that includes gaming.

So guys what should i do? Hp world quoted me a price of 32.8k.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Is hp pavilion G6 2005 AX a good buy? The dual cards look good and might serve me well as a temporary desktop replacement for everything that includes gaming.

This is the exact reason i am planning same laptop.

HP World price is usually on the higher side. Try local market. they'll give you a ton of useless accessories though. But sudden increase in budget? From 22k all the way to 32k !!!

OP
vickybat

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ :)) haha

Yeah sam had to up my budget as don't want to miss gaming completely when i move out.
Besides, i won't be in a state to assemble a good desktop immediately there. So i found this through some research as well as from our tdf member base.

I guess this proves to be a worthy decision in the end and probably will be my first all amd device.
Nobody will call me a fanboy after this atleast. :)

Top Bottom