Strange Problem With my laptop!!!

abhilashthobias

Journeyman
I am having some very strange problems with my laptop. Its a Sony vaio vpceb14en with config as core i3,320GB HDD, 3GB RAM, ATI 5470 512Mb Graphics. Its a 3 year old laptop.

Now the problem is that my laptop is working very slow...so slow that I cant even click on anything.I was using windows 8 earlier when this problem started..So i decided to format my laptop and install windows 7...and it took me more than 2hrs to install win 7 using a pendrive and i have done this before and it used to take around 15mins. Even after it installed, the laptop is still working very slow...almost unusable...Its like i click on something and then I wait for 5 minutes for that click to register and open up. I also took a backup of all my files on my portable HDD and it took me around 4Hrs to copy 84.1GB. What can be the problem? Is it the hard disk?

Let me also tell you that my laptop has a series of hard disk getting corrupt very often. I have got the hard disk replaced from Sony 3 times under warranty. The last time I go the hard disk replaced was in December'12. So my question is if its the hard disk this time as well, then there should be something inside the laptop that is causing the hard disk to crash so often coz I use it very rarely, like once in a week.So How can I check whats the root cause? Can it be the motherboard itself? Also whenever I gave it to Sony for hard disk replace they used to do a complete clean up of the Laptop as well. It would be shining new whenever I got it back from them.

Please help Guys!!!!

Create a bootable pen drive containing any flavor of linux, remove the hard disk from the laptop and boot with the pendrive. See it the linux works perfectly or does it still lag.

OP
A

abhilashthobias

Journeyman
Create a bootable pen drive containing any flavor of linux, remove the hard disk from the laptop and boot with the pendrive. See it the linux works perfectly or does it still lag.

I already have a bootable pen drive for windows 7.. Do I simply remove windows 7 files and put ubuntu files..Will that work?

Also if its a problem with the hard disk only then can I install any internal hard disk or SSD or do I have to look for any specific type of hard disk??

Last edited:
Download ubuntu or some other linux, download universal usb creator and run it and follow the steps. Also select the option to format the pen drive.

OP
A

abhilashthobias

Journeyman
Download ubuntu or some other linux, download universal usb creator and run it and follow the steps. Also select the option to format the pen drive.

ok will do that today and let you know what happened.. btw can you tell me what to expect here?
Like if it doesnt work fine then is it motherboard issue, or if it does then is it only the hard disk issue?

ok will do that today and let you know what happened.. btw can you tell me what to expect here?
Like if it doesnt work fine then is it motherboard issue, or if it does then is it only the hard disk issue?

It Linux runs smoothly, then you can attach HDD is desktop or somewhere else and check its SMART values. Relocated Sectors are generally the problem.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
just download & install crystaldisk info from Download Center - Crystal Dew World & post the screenshot of values here.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
I have Sony Vaio Y Series laptop. Sadly I also had HDD failures twice in last 2 years. Original HDD failed about an year after purchase and recently the one that was replaced earlier also gave up. I am quite familiar with computers and take due care while operating on laptop, despite there were repeated HDD failures! I wonder if it was by chance ( bad luck) or there's some latent issue with Sony laptop models.

^ do you remember which hard disk did you originally get with the laptop?

^ do you remember which hard disk did you originally get with the laptop?

OP
A

abhilashthobias

Journeyman
first one I have no idea and second one is Toshiba MK3259GSXP.

Looks Like we are having same hard disk, and then it may be possible that hard disk can be only issue... Moreover I have seen a lot of Vaio laptops hard disks going bad when i went to the service centre for my laptop..

Also i was planning to install ssd instead of the std hard drive. i would like to know if ssd are more reliable than the std hard drive.
Also is this one a good option.... *onlyssd.com/ssd-price-india/buy-cheap-ssd/kingston-64gb-v200-series-ssd
Moreover how can I check if my laptop is compatible with ssd or not?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think you need to worry about SSD compatibility - if your laptop can run normal sata HDDs then it will run a SSD just like that but only with faster performance and if possible do opt for a SSD with greater capacity like at-least 128GB if you intend to use it as your primary storage.

Hrishi

And while getting a SSD , try to get as much RAM as possible .That'll help the life of your SSD.

OP
A

abhilashthobias

Journeyman
@ Topgear: Well I have an external 1TB Hard disk so 64GB is fine by me.
@ Rishi: Right now I Have 3GB RAM DDR3 RAM...Isnt That enough?

Is Kingston a reliable brand for SSD?

Top Bottom