stand by and hibernate

Status
Not open for further replies.

gau_pppu

TeCh Blogger : Gtechinfo
Is there any difference between standby and hibernate, if thn which one is better, can we switch off the main power after sending the pc into standby or hibernate mode.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Stand-by Mode: RAM is still powered. Power is still being consumed.
Hibernate Mode: Power is not comsumed. RAM data will be written on Hard disk while hibernating. The data will be written back to RAM while recovering from hibernation mode.

Hibernation mode is better than Stand-by-mode becoz it doesn't consume any power.

..can we switch off the main power after sending the pc into standby or hibernate mode.

Hibernation mode : You can switch off the main power supply.
Stand-by mode: You should not switch off the main power supply.

Tech Geek

Wise Old Owl
Kiran explained everything up there...
i agree with it.
Hibernation is better if you have a goood disk space

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Gud to know this.

Can I keep downloading files from a ftp server or rapidshare in the background if I am in the stand by mode?
I have a sleep mode button on my keyboard, does it means stand by by pressing that button?

Last edited:

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Turn off computer> u will see 3 commands, press shift button then stand by will change to hibernation.
before doing that control panel> power> hibernation should be enabled

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Right-click on desktop>Properties
>Screen Saver tab
>Power button
>Hibernate tab
>Check in "Enable Hibernation"
>Click Apply and then OK

Now to put the system in Hibernation mode, click "Start" and then "Turn OFF".
Now you will get three options viz.
Stand-by
Turn OFF
and Restart

Press "Shift" key now. The "Stand-by" option will change to "Hibernate".
Click it. The system will go to Hibernate mode.

..:: Free Radical ::..

The Transcendental
Kiran_tech_mania said:
Right-click on desktop>Properties
>Screen Saver tab
>Power button
>Hibernate tab
>Check in "Enable Hibernation"
>Click Apply and then OK

Now to put the system in Hibernation mode, click "Start" and then "Turn OFF".
Now you will get three options viz.
Stand-by
Turn OFF
and Restart

Or simply Press 'H' to Hibernate, 'U' to shUtdown and 'R' to Restart

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
If u r leaving ur PC idle for say 10 mins then StandBy is better (it switch off HDD and other peripherals suspends to the power saving mode).

Hibernation is an alternative to shutdown if u like the booting sequence faster and not going for a vacation. Remember hibernation requires the same amnt of memory as ur RAM is. So it consumes HDD space. Also it may give rise to instability in OS after some days.Everything is in the RAM is copied to HDD and dumped back to RAM wen u switch on the PC.

So best is to shutdown ur comp when u sleep.

ranjan2001 said:
Gud to know this.

Can I keep downloading files from a ftp server or rapidshare in the background if I am in the stand by mode?
I have a sleep mode button on my keyboard, does it means stand by by pressing that button?

Yes sleep is standby.

But i dont hav a sleep button on my logitech kb ?

May be its obsolete now.

not sure if the download will be continued in standby mode, try it n u will come to know as am too lazy to do this.

Last edited:

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Nope. Downloads will not continue in "Stand-by" mode. Becoz "Stand-by" mode only keeps the memory alive and all other drivers including Network connections, Bluetooth drivers etc are not active.

..:: Free Radical ::..

The Transcendental
T159 said:
Yes sleep is standby.

But i dont hav a sleep button on my logitech kb ?

May be its obsolete now.

not sure if the download will be continued in standby mode, try it n u will come to know as am too lazy to do this.

If you enable hibernation, and also check the option to hibernate whan your computer powers down, the sleep button of your keyboard will hibernate instead of standby. (Atleast Mine does)

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Kiran_tech_mania said:
Nope. Downloads will not continue in "Stand-by" mode. Becoz "Stand-by" mode only keeps the memory alive and all other drivers including Network connections, Bluetooth drivers etc are not active.

I thought so, as of now I use ASUS ALNos utility to put the comp in low power mode & it keep everythig working including downloading but still saves power 80%

..:: Free Radical ::.. said:
If you enable hibernation, and also check the option to hibernate whan your computer powers down, the sleep button of your keyboard will hibernate instead of standby. (Atleast Mine does)

Let me try that, its good if it does so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom