Speed Up Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

saROMan

QA Juggler
I hav resently braught a new POstpaid conn from BSNL ....

SO the prob is in the task ba it shows that connected at 115.2 kbps
but in reality when i d/l some thing it shows only 3/4 kbps /sec ....so is some thing wrong w my PC/Connection? is there any way i can chern out more bandwidth from my existing connection ????i have heard that bandwidth meter is one such soft .....but donno where to find it..:((

busyanuj

In the zone
the 115.2 kbps is in reality 115.2 kilo bits per second.

divide it by 8 to get the actual speed in kilobytes per second.

OP
saROMan

saROMan

QA Juggler
hey dhaval & nikhil
i have a HSP 56 micro modem(InBuilt).........and it took me heck lot of efforts approx 12 hrs to install trouble shoot try..try...try..............
to get connected..and now i cant afford to go thru same process again
..BTW will try the cnet way....

theraven

Technomancer
115.2 is just displayed speed
its not even the actual speed
see ur modem manual to insert the AT string for actualy speed
which will be 56.6 kbps or less
and yes thats kilo BITS per second
explaination as busyanuj gave

atool

Journeyman
a small software called webrocket can enhance connect sppeed by approx 10%...look for it as i dont hv url to download it...

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Hey before you tear your machine appart do the folloing
1. put a tele on the line dial a no say 2 (only) listen atentivly with the mouth piece cuped with your hand . If you hear any sound it indicates a bad line maybe a old drop wire (line connecting the BSNL DP(Distribution Point) and your place. get the wire replaced try to reduce the wire length bt effecient routing of the wire.
2. what is the OS you use ?
3. i use the BSNL 499/- tele and connection and connect at 40-48 Kbps and get a download speed on an averager of 5KBps( 6KB when it is 3 am) so this is the max limit you will able toget.
4. Update your drivers and scan your PC for ad ware these pgms hogg your BW.

AMITAGARWAL02

In the zone
can anyone tell how it is possible to connect at a speed of 115 kbps on bsnl dial up connection
it can be connected only 46/48 bps maximum

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
No the connection speed does not depend on the isp server yes the download speed does depend on the isp server. All point to point protcall (in this case PPP) use a LCP (Link control protocal) phase when the connection is being negotiated, which is end to end is between the two modems one at the user end at the other at the isp side the connection speed is negotiated between these two devices and depend on their setting and ofcourse the condition of the communication media which in this case is the telephone lines.

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
I heard that on indian telephone lines u can get a max upto 13 kilo bytes per second on a dial up!Is That true??

demoninside

In the zone
It might be more haven't u heard about
ISDN
DIAS
ADSl
all work on Telephone lines
but on dial up it's never more then 50kbps connectivity
so 50/8=6. Kb dl is MAX

amistik

Broken In
pradeep_chauhan said:
No the connection speed does not depend on the isp server yes the download speed does depend on the isp server. All point to point protcall (in this case PPP) use a LCP (Link control protocal) phase when the connection is being negotiated, which is end to end is between the two modems one at the user end at the other at the isp side the connection speed is negotiated between these two devices and depend on their setting and ofcourse the condition of the communication media which in this case is the telephone lines.

BSNL uses Cisco AS5300 Access server. Which incorporates 60 modem per slot (max) and max speed is 56kbps. So you can not get more than this by any means. You may use compression technique but it allows you to increase 10 percent or less. If the download speed (avarage) is 3.5 KB per second (using any download manager) then your modem connection speed is very good. Generaly 115 kbps shows COM port speed.

AlienTech

In the zone
heck I am on cable broadband and I can barely get 1K a sec.. I wonder what kind of connection India has with the outside world. Do they have any land line fiber connections to like Singapore? I know asiaglobal crossing was in the process to connecting Singapore with under sea fiber via hong Kong and japan. If the entire Indian community is using that 1 sat link, Its no wonder most of us cant get any speed. I know a few years ago I used to get good speeds of over 100K-200KB/sec when chennai connected to Singapore in the early mornings. But it seemed they only did that for a few hours every morning and they seemed to have dropped it due to cost.

AMITAGARWAL02

In the zone
can anyone tell how it is possible to connect at a speed of 115 kbps on bsnl dial up connection
it can be connected only 46/48 bps maximum

Sorry for utting this question again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom