Status
Not open for further replies.

hemant_mathur

-- No Easter Eggs here --
Source : *times.hankooki.com/lpage/200609/kt2006090819010168040.htm

Super-Fast Internet to Debut This Year

By Kim Tae-gyu
Staff Reporter

South Korea, the world's most wired nation, continues to push the envelope on the speed of the broadband Internet and looks set to make 1 gigabit per second (Gbps) a commercial possibility.

The state-backed Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute (ETRI) said yesterday that it had developed fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) solutions that efficiently enable 1Gbps of data transmission speed.

``Thus far, only 16 customers can subscribe to 1Gbps services on a single optical fiber line. That is one of the main barriers to the commercial debut of the 1Gbps Internet,'' said Kim Byoung-hwi, an official at the Taejon-based institute, about 200 kilometers south of Seoul.

``However, we have created technology taking advantage of various length frames of optical fiber, increasing the number 32 fold to 512 users per cable,'' Kim said.

Kim projected the cutting-edge technique would substantially raise the commercial viability of the 1Gbps landline connectivity, which he expects to start this year.

The throughput of 1Gbps is fast enough to let people download a high-definition movie file in seconds. This currently takes several minutes using a regular network.

The speed is also roughly 100 times faster than the current norm of the wired Internet _ around 10 megabits per second.

``We developed the technology through an alliance with a domestic network equipment maker, which aims to commercially launch the 1Gbps Internet services late this year,'' Kim said.

In addition to the fixed-line connection, the 1Gbps speed is a crucial milestone in the world of the wireless Internet, a field in which Korea is also a trailblazer.

During last week's Fourth-Generation (4G) Forum on Cheju Island, the host Samsung Electronics demonstrated wireless platform, which promises a downlink speed of 1Gbps.

The 4G mobile system is defined as a network that transfers data at rates of 1Gbps for those at a standstill and 100 Mbps for those on the move.

Samsung projects the ultra-fast portable Internet will come to town by 2010 and the world's third-largest cellular phone maker seeks to unveil handset-sized terminals embracing the 4G system in 2008.

The Seoul-headquartered company already has handover technology, which helps users remain connected while moving between base stations, for the super-fast mobile platform.

The solution, which Samsung showed on a bus traveling at 60 kilometers an hour, is a must to phase in any mobility-specific service.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Wow that's cool. Now if we can have a decently priced 1mbps connection here in India we'd consider it a boon. 1gbps is something of a dream for us.

OP
hemant_mathur

hemant_mathur

And to think that i am stuck with just 256kbps speed that to which allows only 500 mb data tranfer per month .. lol

plsoft

Journeyman
painful news. It's like u r stuck in the desert without water, and you see in a distant a person drinking water without any short in supply. sobbbbb painful

OP
hemant_mathur

hemant_mathur

More like being castaway in sea : "Water ... water everywhere .. but not a drop to drink"

Last edited:

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
A 1 Gbit connection will download at 1024/8=128 MBps.
The fastest hard disk in the world, the Western Digital Raptor WD1500AD has a maximum write speed of only 85 MBps. Where are you even going to store the data you download at this speed?
What is the point of a 1 Gbps connection? Seems like a gimmick to me.

anispace

dattebayo
tech_your_future said:
Wow that's cool. Now if we can have a decently priced 1mbps connection here in India we'd consider it a boon. 1gbps is something of a dream for us.

actually even 1Mbps is a dream for us.... forget bout 1Gbps.

go_gamez

In the zone
Wish There Was Atleast A Proper 1mbps Connection ..from Isp ..at Nominal Rates !!
When Is Gonna India Progress....yaar !!

rakeshishere

HELP AND SUPPORT
I just want 512kbps or 1 MBPS connection with unlmited dwnld for 900 bucks.If that can be true then thats a grt news than this news u have given us

Brave_Hunt

Journeyman
1Gbps huh! Are you kidding!!! I'd have never even imagined about it If I didn't read the news. Phew, What the hell are we INDIAN doing? :cool:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
knight17 said:
I am still on a damn dial up.
I will download entire rapidshare.de with that kind of connection.
But there ain't enough speed at the server end so you will never get the full speed.

soham

In the zone
Why isnt TRAI doing something to make broadband cheap and faster. 2Mbps broadband still costs 9000 in India.Whereas in Korea you can get it for as less as 100 rupees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom