Sony Xperia S

Richie Rich

Broken In
I am looking to buy a new phone and the main requirement is it should have sharp camera and should have android OS, with all these I like the new Sony Xperia S. So, Is there anyone who has this phone I have some question to ask about this phone.

Last edited:

aroraanant

Explorer
Why not get One X by extending your budget a lil bit, it also has a very good camera.And overall that is the phone in market right now.

OP
Richie Rich

Richie Rich

Broken In
Yup I have an XS. Ask me :)

In a review i got that the normal earphone or headsets are not compatible with Xperia S that means only the sony earphones will work on this phone. It has some 3 ring pin in it.. Is that true? Also, about that the phone has no mass storage facility so how much time it took to transfer 1GB of data from sony's software.

Last edited:

randomuser111

Technomancer
^
I guess you read some misleading post. Most headsets are compatible with the Xperia S. Only the made for iphone headsets have some trouble. They don't function properly. Though you CAN use even the Made for Iphone headsets with a trick.

Just hold the + button on the headset in line controller while plugging it in the 3.5mm jack. Then you can use the earphones to listen to music though the mic won't function.

What headset do you plan to use ? And no there is no restriction that only Sony earphones will work. Any OMTP compatible earphone will work.

About the Mass Storage option, yes the phone doesn't have mass storage option but there is a MOD available to get it once you root the phone.

Data Transfers are blazing fast. I transferred a 1.8 GB file in about 3 minutes.

1 GB file shouldn't take more than 2 minutes. 100-200mb files are transferred in an instant almost.

As far as HTC One X goes, sure its a more powerful handset but it also has a whole lot of bugs. Just check out the One X forum on XDA and most of the threads are about people complaining about quality control and software issues. Also has some serious multitasking limitations which most owners are unhappy about.

Also Xperia S has a better camera and the screen is better too except for viewing angles.

Not to mention (almost!) bug free software.

Everything runs smooth and with ICS update it should only get better.

Battery life has also improved with the latest .73 update, 1 day of moderate- heavy usage is easily achievable.

Last edited:
OP
Richie Rich

Richie Rich

Broken In
^
I guess you read some misleading post. Most headsets are compatible with the Xperia S. Only the made for iphone headsets have some trouble. They don't function properly. Though you CAN use even the Made for Iphone headsets with a trick.

Just hold the + button on the headset in line controller while plugging it in the 3.5mm jack. Then you can use the earphones to listen to music though the mic won't function.

What headset do you plan to use ? And no there is no restriction that only Sony earphones will work. Any OMTP compatible earphone will work.

About the Mass Storage option, yes the phone doesn't have mass storage option but there is a MOD available to get it once you root the phone.

Data Transfers are blazing fast. I transferred a 1.8 GB file in about 3 minutes.

1 GB file shouldn't take more than 2 minutes. 100-200mb files are transferred in an instant almost.

As far as HTC One X goes, sure its a more powerful handset but it also has a whole lot of bugs. Just check out the One X forum on XDA and most of the threads are about people complaining about quality control and software issues. Also has some serious multitasking limitations which most owners are unhappy about.

Also Xperia S has a better camera and the screen is better too except for viewing angles.

Not to mention (almost!) bug free software.

Everything runs smooth and with ICS update it should only get better.

Battery life has also improved with the latest .73 update, 1 day of moderate- heavy usage is easily achievable.

Will the 3.5mm pin that fits in my laptop/PC from the speakers work for Xperia S?

I know nothing about phone rooting and MOD.. is it from sony or any third party trick?
Are you telling me the transfer speed with modifying if yes tell me the original transfer speed from sony software?

randomuser111

Technomancer
I told you the speed with stock Sony MTP file transfer. My phone is completely stock. I haven't modded anything.

I just mentioned if Mass Storage is very critical to you, you CAN get it with a mod.

Also yes your speakers should work with the Xperia S.

I have quite a few different speakers/earphones and all of them work with the Xperia S except for my made for Iphone klipsch earphones but they too work with the workaround I mentioned in my earlier post.

OP
Richie Rich

Richie Rich

Broken In
I told you the speed with stock Sony MTP file transfer. My phone is completely stock. I haven't modded anything.

I just mentioned if Mass Storage is very critical to you, you CAN get it with a mod.

Alright!

Will the 3.5mm pin that fits in my laptop/PC from the speakers work for Xperia S?

randomuser111

Technomancer
Posting my battery usage graph from 3 days back. Will post the graph for today later.

*i48.tinypic.com/30axljm.png
*i49.tinypic.com/2dbt2j6.png

^
Screen on time - A little over 3 hours
Wifi on for 5 and a half hrs
Browsing 1 hour
Games 1 hour
Misc 1 hour
Phone calls 20 minutes
20-30 text messages
Few photos with Flash

OP
Richie Rich

Richie Rich

Broken In
Posting my battery usage graph from 3 days back. Will post the graph for today later.

*i48.tinypic.com/30axljm.png
*i49.tinypic.com/2dbt2j6.png

^
Screen on time - A little over 3 hours
Wifi on for 5 and a half hrs
Browsing 1 hour
Games 1 hour
Misc 1 hour
Phone calls 20 minutes
20-30 text messages
Few photos with Flash

I think it is having satisfactory result.
But now I'm confused between One S and Xperis S. As per reviews One S has better 2.0/f aperture camera better battery life and having the best quadrant score by any phone launched till date. The only problem is 10GB memory and no microSD slot.
HTC One S is going to launch next week with 27-28k price tag (according to HTC India customer care)

clmlbx

Technomancer

Also yes your speakers should work with the Xperia S.

I have quite a few different speakers/earphones and all of them work with the Xperia S except for my made for Iphone klipsch earphones but they too work with the workaround I mentioned in my earlier post.

How is that possible? mod will be for software but where will you add a card if there is no slot.. could you pls explain what did you mean

randomuser111

Technomancer
^
It has an eMMC card. e = embedded. So the eMMC can be mounted as mass storage device.

@Richie

One S has better performance and benchmark scores yes but NOT better camera. Xperia S Camera > Htc One X Camera = Htc One S.

Also battery life is about the same on both. As per actual users they get about 4-5 hours of screen on time on single charge. Xperia S can also manage the same. But XS is on GB. ICS update for Xperia S reportedly gets 30% extra battery life.

Last edited:

randomuser111

Technomancer
Mass storage option gives you greater control over file transfers and using the internal storage to view photos and videos without needing to copy them first to the computer.

*i45.tinypic.com/2zfmsur.jpg

A pic I took a while back :p

Top Bottom