Sony Xperia 2013 Thread

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Reports on XDA said that some Indians have updated using OTA and preserving root. I tried it just now but sad story it failed after upgrading a single package (no idea which one).
The same thing happened during first KitKat update too.

PC Companion with loss of root is the only way for me now :(

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
Could you help me with a step-by-step? I have never done any flashing.
Well nor have I with the flashtool but as I have unlocked the BL its not Much of a issue for me
Anyways here is the guide
[GUIDE] How to root 10.5.1.A.0.283 [Locked Bootloader] - [GUIDE] How to root 10.5.1.A.0.283 [Locked B… | Sony Xperia ZR | XDA Forums
[GUIDE] How to root 10.5.1.A.0.283 [Locked Bootloader]

Or you could always wait for the ota which should come pretty soon ;)

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
OTA is already here. It fails to update. I read in another thread that trying it 4 times works. I am giving it a go. It is painful because each time I have to download the whole 180 something MB OTA :-(

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
I tried the OTA 6 times (because people who have succeeded on XDA have got it to work during 4th attempt). Still no go. I believe it might be because I have applied a remount-reboot fix and thus modified some system files.

I have to go the PC Companion route and then downgrade kernel, root and then upgrade.

Time for some serious reading and redundant backups in case something goes belly up ;)

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
Something got f*ed up at Sony's end I guess. Yesterday night I put PC Companion to download the update and when I got up in the morning it had errored out at 70 something percent.

And suddenly both PC Companion and phone Update Centre sang the same tune "your software is uptodate" although it is still 4.4.2.

Just now they have started to show the update again but this time no OTA. So it looks like something went wrong and they pulled the older update to issue a new one or correct something on their end.

Hoping today it will work out alright.

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Reports on XDA said that some Indians have updated using OTA and preserving root. I tried it just now but sad story it failed after upgrading a single package (no idea which one).
The same thing happened during first KitKat update too.

PC Companion with loss of root is the only way for me now :(

I think you are referring me. I did OTA and got 4.4.4 without loosing root. Also I did post in xda about that . BTW I didn't modify anything in system so no problem in update. Great improvement in battery life and UI is lag free now.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
How can I backup my phone for a complete factory reset/upgrade and restore data later?

Backup and Restore is useless in this situation because it does not restore to a different OS version :mad:

Further I have so many customisations going through all of which will lead to me losing a full day at the minimum if I manage to remember all of them.

I also want to fully encrypt my phone and memory card this time around. Just this week a close relative got his phone picked from pocket that had lots of personal information.

I am interested in:
1. Home screens and the icon/widget arrangements there.
2. More than 100 notes stored in the Sony notes application
3. Contacts and SMS
4. Various customisations including ring tones, clock, network, display, lock screen etc.
5. Applications' data
6. Directly copyable data such as photos, videos, screenshots etc.

I have Super Backup which should take care of Contacts, SMS, Call log.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
OK good news for folks still following this thread and own a first generation Z series phone - you will get Android 5.0.

*www.digit.in/forum/technology-news...roid-5-0-lollipop-entire-xperia-z-series.html

There is no news yet about other older phones.

Top Bottom