Sony Ericsson Posts Fourth Consecutive Quarterly Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamoghno

Padawan
^^Completely agree . Motorola makes best hardware in market ,even the zn5 had 500mhz procy.all they need is half decent software . If they can launch zn5 like hardware with android , there's no reason moto wont have a hit. Also remember moto's other divison is actually making money .

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
SE has made loss, it did not reach out the n00b section. The majority of the market that is. The common people !
Unlike we geeks, we know that in the price range 8-12 SE is the best. Like k790, k810, T700, w610, w580 etc. This is endless list.

And they divided camera and music, unlike nokia, they combined both in phones like N73M and N95 etc.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
LOLWUT?? What about Aura?? yea its a premium product but wat?? How many people are interested in it?? If you dunno, the W550 and the W900 were the first swivel phones in the market from SE and were a landmark in their time. Everyone can bring out costly and so-called premium products. Aint a big deal. SE is there with OMAP, Snapdragon and possibly tegra in its following launches. Lets not compare SE to moto. Moto thrives on its CDMA market while SE on gsm.

sandeepkochhar

In the zone
Motorola Thrives on CDMA. It could be great headline for India TV. Hilarious. OK I agree that unlike SE they have the capability of producing CDMA phones also along with GSM but I am truly at loss of words at the Statement. And the thing is not about Premium/Non Premium It's About INNOVATION.

Motorola had always played the role of innovator and rest being imitators. "Slim is in" was Motorola’s effort when phones like Razr, L5,L6 etc made the world think that mobiles are not only utility things but also fashion statement.

The clamshell design which was rather unacceptable before was popularized by Razr series. Linux which has no taker in Mobile OS World was made to work effortlessly by models like Rokr series.

Touch screen devices which were thought to be Rich man devices were brought to Economy class by the launch of models like Rokr E6 and lately A810.

The unique e-ink technology for display was propagated by Motorola F3 and F3C.

Unique morphing keypads were launched in ZN5 and EM30.

ZN5 is the only phone which is as good in camera department as it is in music capability whereas its competition either focuses on camera or in music.

The list is almost unending and Motorola has given so many firsts in mobile manufacturing that it is almost impossible to remember all of them.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
What about innovation?? What is innovative in the AURA?? The swivel design has been there for ages.

There nothing innovative about the Zn5 either. The tinny software in the phones make them almost unusable. So it doesnt matter what hardware they use. And yea dude. their GSM market has gone down the drains and they are thriving over their market presence in china and in the cdma regions.

Tamoghno

Padawan
LOLWUT?? What about Aura?? yea its a premium product but wat?? How many people are interested in it?? If you dunno, the W550 and the W900 were the first swivel phones in the market from SE and were a landmark in their time. Everyone can bring out costly and so-called premium products. Aint a big deal. SE is there with OMAP, Snapdragon and possibly tegra in its following launches. Lets not compare SE to moto. Moto thrives on its CDMA market while SE on gsm.

Wow , you are comparing w550 with aura ! I'm speechless. Whats next ? comparing maruti with Rolls Royce becausw both have four wheels ?

Come back when se can engineer something like razr2 / zn5 . Heck , se cant even get good voice clarity .

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
What?? Why would anyone like to engineer the Zn5 anyway?? And the Razr was the phone that sold moto. They tried to copy/paste but couldnt succeed. Anyways thats beyond the topic. When SE and others are onto 12mps moto is till stuck at 5. :lol:

Tamoghno

Padawan
There nothing innovative about the Zn5 either.

You know , the things n86 brags about , like mechanical shutter , variable aperture , were already in zn5 . Have you seen the shot to shot time of zn5 ? No nokia can touch it , forget about SE . Add to that good music , 3.5mm jack , AWESOME build ...

You know that moto lacks in OS only . OS is the reason zn5 dont even have 3g. Now what moto starts putting android in their phone ? We have a winner .

sandeepkochhar

In the zone
There is not one but many uniqueness's in Aura. Most important being It's is the World's first Circular display Mobile Phone. No other company has managed to achieve this. Secondly it is inspired by high end mechanical watches. Hence, like in mechanical watches, it's movement is purely hand crafted gear movement which is not an easy task to do. Moreover, just go through any of the detailed reviews, you'll get to know hundred's of design innovations.
Accept it that no other company Not even mighty Nokia is even close to What we call Revolution in mobile world. They are Evolutionary; Moto is Revolutionary and being one is not bed of roses; but Moto will rise up from the ashes and rule the world once again..

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@sandeep, what is the use in making a 10000$ phone when your company is not able to sell phones that are sold in market. moto aura could be having innovation but who cares? who buys such insanely priced phones?? maybe 1 in a billion?
That won't do any good for company. make a phone that is considered for buying by 2 out of 10 buyers and that makes you a top brand.

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
Actually, It's the way sony goes. Sony always sell their prices at premium. Consider PlaySation segments,LCD tvs,DVD players,earphones. Name it, you have it. The reason is the quality of their products. I personally have many sony items and i don't have a problem till now for any of them. The only concern is that their product rates would be lower.

I almost ZOMGed. When i saw every sony department posting losses, except the computer entertainment wing.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
You havent seen the shots taken by the C901 then. It trumps the Zn5 in every possible way.Anyways. The Zn5 looks crap and has pathetic java implementation. I wouldnt waste my money on that. I would rather have some awesome capuchin(java+flash) apps running on my phones than nothing at all.
Android, which SE and Sony will be developing jointly will hopefully bring back SE to better shades.

Oh as for the Aura. Expect the BRAVIA phone with WXGA OLED screen to be announced anytime soon and which holds a free hinged display(can be held at any position).

Tamoghno

Padawan
The Zn5 looks crap and has pathetic java implementation.

zn5 looks pathetic ! You sound pathetic . See yourself an eye doctors .

Android, which SE and Sony will be developing jointly

I seriously doubt that you know ANYTHING about android.

Oh as for the Aura. Expect the BRAVIA phone with WXGA OLED screen to be announced anytime soon and which holds a free hinged display(can be held at any position).

proves that you know NOTHING about premium phones , which is aura's target market. As a quick lesson let me tell you Premium phone is not about features , its about uniqueness , exclusivity etc also a little insane pricing. A good example is 8800 , mediocre phone featurewise but a successful premium phone.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
zn5 looks pathetic ! You sound pathetic . See yourself an eye doctors .

I seriously doubt that you know ANYTHING about android.

proves that you know NOTHING about premium phones , which is aura's target market. As a quick lesson let me tell you Premium phone is not about features , its about uniqueness , exclusivity etc also a little insane pricing. A good example is 8800 , mediocre phone featurewise but a successful premium phone.

Zn5 looks pathetic and thats a fact. I dont see why you keep whining over that matter.

You dunno anything about cellphones and nor about OS'es and keep blabbering S*** to prove yourself correct.

Dude. The AURA isnt generating sales anywhere. Moto could have done better trying to build a few mid-end phones than this one.

Th BRAVIA phone will come with a rotatable display which hasnt been seen outside japan and will be made of premium materials with low imagery features and non-existent smartphone features.

utsav

damn busy...
@ dreamy

will u please stop using these funny terms ?? :lol:

BRAVIA , WXGA , and etc etc etc :lol:

gimme a gr8 phone with symbian S60 or andriod and i will buy it wid closed eyes ;)

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
gimme a gr8 phone with symbian S60 or andriod and i will buy it wid closed eyes ;)

+1 with u...Actually I too think that a good OS paired with comparable hardware will be a sure shot hit...
Look at the number of people waiting for Satio and HTC hero..

BTW after looking at lots of videos of Touchscreen mobiles...I came to conclusion that still there is lot of improvement to be done....None of them is smooth enough and somewhat stuck at one place or other..which is not a problem in non-touchscreen devices.:cool:

Tamoghno

Padawan
BTW after looking at lots of videos of Touchscreen mobiles...I came to conclusion that still there is lot of improvement to be done....None of them is smooth enough and somewhat stuck at one place or other..which is not a problem in non-touchscreen devices.:cool:

Same here . I hated winmo because of their laggy nature. But after i bought 5800 i really missed the instantinious interface of fp1 phones. Iphone was good at v1 but become slower as the firmware evolved and v3 is actually quite slow with iphone2g. Even the palm pre with mighty omap3430 is slow. Add to that touchscreens delicate nature and you'll realise that touchscreen isn't for everyone.

But even then i find the latest android phones are hard to resist. The HTC's hero have an amazing and very well thought interface (and unlike winmo counterpart android is pretty good even without skinning). The amount of innovation touchscreen is getting these days , i fear touchscreen might be the next 'granted' features(like camera now) of cellphones.

sujoyp

Grand Master
^^yah u r right...HTC hero looks smoother then other...but y HTC android devices have a chin like design:wink: y not the standard design....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom