Sony Ericsson Posts Fourth Consecutive Quarterly Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Mobile handset maker Sony Ericsson Thursday posted a narrower than expected net loss for the second quarter, but sales remained well down, hit by continued weak consumer spending and the company's failure to bring high-end smartphones to market quickly enough. Sony Ericsson posted a EUR213 million net loss for the three months to June 30, down from a EUR6 million profit the previous year but better than analysts' expectations for a EUR298 million loss, partly on lower restructuring charges.
The report marks Sony Ericsson's fourth consecutive quarterly loss, although the result improved on the EUR293 ...

source: *online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090716-703504.html

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
poor sony, being pwned by apple and nokia. BTW, sony has also posted losses in electronic department. god bless you sony..:smile:

sujoyp

Grand Master
Sony Ericsson should listen to consumers...y always experiment...if everyone wants a 3.5mm jack,sd card and usb charger just give it ....y delay the things and invite trouble.

I being a great fan of SE always got frustated by there proprietary port.

Hope W995,Satio,Aino will do some good

sakil.ahmed64

Right off the assembly line
exhorbitant pricing for xperia and not having too many options in the business segment.. that has done the trick :twisted:

OP
desiibond

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Main problem lies in their products inside 6k-20k segment. no real competitor to Nokia and samsung.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Main problem lies in their products inside 6k-20k segment. no real competitor to Nokia and samsung.

I would say 6k to 12k is good for SE with c510 and g502 and many...even my T700 has good sound and looks fabulous. I see main problem lies from 15-25k which is dominated only by nokia.

SE have to consider Smartphones...they lag in this department

Last edited:

Tamoghno

Padawan
Typical sony DNA of overpricing and propietory things is what destroyimg sony(ericsson) .

But thankfully this is changing. I hope se dont die . They are the reason why we have good usable cameraphones .

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
@sandeep- Doesnt look nice coming from you.At least they are trying. What are motorola doing?? :D
SE have the most powerful handsets lined up for Q4. By 2010 the recession should be controllable. Lets see what happens then. Btw, i have news that SE are developing a touch OS of their own and it somewhat resembles the Racheal UI we saw in the video.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Some good news for SE fans

Vodafone UK's best sellers:
1. Nokia N97 32GB
2. Nokia 5800 XpressMusic
3. Sony Ericsson W595
4. Sony Ericsson C510
5. Samsung S8000 Jet
6. Samsung S8300 Tocco Ultra Edition
7. Samsung L810 Steel
8. Nokia 6300
9. BlackBerry Storm 9500
10. HTC Magic

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
^^The reasons SE are suffering:-

1)No touchscreen models. The X1 being a premium model couldnt generate enough sales.
2)Lack of good low end models. Most countries are cutting down on cell-phones and are going for low-cost models which SE lack seriously.
3) Lack of Qwerty models.
4) Lack of smartphones.

Touchscreens should be there aplenty by the end of this year.
Low ends have never been SE's forte and i dont expect them to fare any better here. If the prices dip they may enter the sement.
There will be a series of Qwerty models to be introduced.
Well, android. need i say more??

Tamoghno

Padawan
With the amount of money they are losing and the way they are shedding headcount , i wonder how they would run their RnD .

Anybody got any news of motorola ?

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
They have Sony and Ericsson behind them. Not a worry. Also they have a balance of 965 million euros stacked up in their bank.

Tamoghno

Padawan
Not sure about financial condition of erricson , but sony also lost 1.4billion dollar last year .

I truly wish se survive this crisis though !

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
They have Sony and Ericsson behind them. Not a worry. Also they have a balance of 965 million euros stacked up in their bank.
SE shut down a big big division in RTP, Raleigh, USA. One of my professors (who is considered the God of RF/Wireless in the whole of East Coast) left my university to join SE only to return back!!

They are in a mess right now. I'm an SE fan too, but they only haf themselves to blame for the soup they are in!

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Yep. They are in a mess. But who isnt?? the downturn has left giants such as GMs and Citi in bare waters. Problem with SE is that they dint look into the future. If only they had come up with a good non-smart touch platform before the downturn hit, they would have heaped dividends now.

sujoyp

Grand Master
but I still dont see things improving....
Satio's prime area is its 12mp cam soo its price will be like xperia:-( again it dont have 3.5mm jack
Aino looks good but not a full touch mobile.....SE where is the 5800 competitor???

SE android mobile Rachel seems to be touch HD competitor...soo will be quit costly.

I want Satio type SE mobile with 5/8mp cam and same hardware @ 22k....would be killer

sandeepkochhar

In the zone
@ dream:- Motorola have the guts to launch Moto Aura a luxury phone even when they are in neck deep ****..It needs iron balls to do so..Aura once again added another first to the already humongous initiatives from the house of Moto..Aura is the first luxury phone having hundreds of gears to power the swivel movement of circular(which is another first by the way ) watch like display..You can't take the credit from Moto for their pure risk taking experimental ability and giving mobile world something which was never seen before..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom