Sony Ericsson Posts Fourth Consecutive Quarterly Loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamoghno

Padawan
Not quite convincing. "If Chrome is that good, why are most ppl still using IE?" Sounds similar??!! At least in India, in the low end market I've seen people blindly buying Nokia even tho some of them are really very crappy as compared to Samsung/SE/or whatever.

One device that I absolutely love is the Nokia 5800.

You cant compare software analogy to compare hardware . In case of chrome , most people wont even care about their browser because they already have one . And most common man dont even realize that they have a choice . Forget chrome , even the mighty firefox have only ~23%marketshare.

In case of cellphone , most people dont have a default choice , people either choose by comparing specs , or use their past experience . Remember nokia have very bad marketshare with cdma handset because most people opt for cheap huwehai (?) or LG . But when consumer actually gets to choose handsets (unbundled) nokia have 70%+ marketsharw in cdma.

Btw , 5800 is , in my opinion , one of the worst device i ever bought from nokia , only good thing is its feature/price ratio.

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
No need replying to this thread anymore . I was trying to convince some SE fans the reason for the loss of SE in market but instead they are making a huge fight of it and insulting fellow digitians .. Even in all previous threads regarding such topics fights break out in SE fans for no reason at all .
For me a best phone is that with good Hardware as well as a good OS irrespective of its brand . And who said people cant afford high end phones from SE , but is it worth it , was n96 a success ? Why has iphone sales jumped even with the price tag of a bike . I am myself going to buy iphone 3gs by the end of augaust and post its review on this forum itself . And for dream dude , you better mind your language or this means another ban for you , i had never offended you .

Last edited:

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
Btw , i dont believe (and never seen any prove) that pirated software runs slower than legit version. its just a crap bullshit that micro$oft wants you to believe. (jailbraking may have bad effect though)
Dude do you know how much hastle has to be faced to run pirated apps on iphone firmware 3.0 . If jailbreaking is not done properly there is decrease in performance of the devise and this is the reason why most people are complaining about 3.0 . Anyway we are not dealing with microsoft here but Mac OS instead .
-Peace

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
You cant compare software analogy to compare hardware . In case of chrome , most people wont even care about their browser because they already have one . And most common man dont even realize that they have a choice . Forget chrome , even the mighty firefox have only ~23%marketshare.

In case of cellphone , most people dont have a default choice , people either choose by comparing specs , or use their past experience . Remember nokia have very bad marketshare with cdma handset because most people opt for cheap huwehai (?) or LG . But when consumer actually gets to choose handsets (unbundled) nokia have 70%+ marketsharw in cdma.

Btw , 5800 is , in my opinion , one of the worst device i ever bought from nokia , only good thing is its feature/price ratio.
I'm not giving an analogy. I'm trying to drive home the point that in the low end segment nokia is the default choice. And there is nothing wrong, coz yes LG/samsung/SE phones may or may not haf better features but IMHO the build quality of nokia is the best.

No need replying to this thread anymore . I was trying to convince some SE fans the reason for the loss of SE in market but instead they are making a huge fight of it and insulting fellow digitians ..
I dunno whom you are pointing out but there is no doubt that its SE which is to be blamed for getting into this mess. They must accept certain things (like S60/android, microSD etc.) and shed the proprietary cloak if they wanna increase their sales.

Dude do you know how much hastle has to be faced to run pirated apps on iphone firmware 3.0.
You just need to replace MobileInstallation file to do this. There is no hassle!

If jailbreaking is not done properly there is decrease in performance of the devise and this is the reason why most people are complaining about 3.0 . Anyway we are not dealing with microsoft here but Mac OS instead .
-Peace
There is question of "jailbreaking not done properly". Either you jailbreak or you don't. You don't do anything, its the pwnagetool or quickpwn or the other stuff which ready the custom firmware. You only flash your phone. If flashed properly you phone works, if not then it doesn't. There is no intermediate stage!

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
You just need to replace MobileInstallation file to do this. There is no hassle!

There is question of "jailbreaking not done properly". Either you jailbreak or you don't. You don't do anything, its the pwnagetool or quickpwn or the other stuff which ready the custom firmware. You only flash your phone. If flashed properly you phone works, if not then it doesn't. There is no intermediate stage!

Dude patching mobile installation patch for 2.21is easy but for 3.0 it is different , similarly creating CFW is easy but using the right pawnage tool like redsnow or quickpawn is important . You can get hell lot of errors in itunes while restoring your devise with CFW . I remember i had jailbreaked my 2.2.1 using only xpawn through DOS !!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Dude patching mobile installation patch for 2.21is easy but for 3.0 it is different , similarly creating CFW is easy but using the right pawnage tool like redsnow or quickpawn is important . You can get hell lot of errors in itunes while restoring your devise with CFW . I remember i had jailbreaked my 2.2.1 using only xpawn through DOS !!
I dunno what you are talking about... AFAIK there is no mobileinstallation for 3.0. You need to pull out an app from Icy/Cydia which automatically does everything for you. Its even easier than 2.2.x

Secondly, afaik there is no quickpwn for 3.0 stable (yet?) and redsnow is not for jailbreaking but for unlocking. I fail to get any of your points!

Tamoghno

Padawan
Dude do you know how much hastle has to be faced to run pirated apps on iphone firmware 3.0 . If jailbreaking is not done properly there is decrease in performance of the devise and this is the reason why most people are complaining about 3.0 . Anyway we are not dealing with microsoft here but Mac OS instead .
-Peace

Chill dude , chill .

Like i already said , i was NOT talking about jailbreaking , i was only talking about PIRATED os . Yes , its true i dont have first hand experience with v3 , but i've seen quite a few vids in youtube.anyway , i am taking iphone out of comparison if it hurts you.

Anyway , what i was originally trying to say is that touchscreen phones are usually slower (than their non-touchscreen counterpart) . For example , 5800 is wayyy slower than e71 , blackberry storm is slower than bold etc.

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
I dunno what you are talking about... AFAIK there is no mobileinstallation for 3.0. You need to pull out an app from Icy/Cydia which automatically does everything for you. Its even easier than 2.2.x

Secondly, afaik there is no quickpwn for 3.0 stable (yet?) and redsnow is not for jailbreaking but for unlocking. I fail to get any of your points!
You mentioned MIpatch for 3.0 in the first place .The mobilinstallation patches are obsolete on 3.0 so you need to Install AppSync for OS 3.0. It has the same effect as miPatch . If wifi isnt available as seen in many cases in india , you have to do hell lot of other things to install cracked apps .Dont mix up with 2.2.1 and 3.0 read few of my previous posts .
I was trying to tell that many people are finding it a little difficult jailbreaking 3.0 since they are used to earlier firmware and hence the trouble .

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
You mentioned MIpatch for 3.0 in the first place .The mobilinstallation patches are obsolete on 3.0 so you need to Install AppSync for OS 3.0. It has the same effect as miPatch . If wifi isnt available as seen in many cases in india , you have to do hell lot of other things to install cracked apps .Dont mix up with 2.2.1 and 3.0 read few of my previous posts .
I was trying to tell that many people are finding it a little difficult jailbreaking 3.0 since they are used to earlier firmware and hence the trouble .

You mentioned MIpatch for 3.0 in the first place .The mobilinstallation patches are obsolete on 3.0 so you need to Install AppSync for OS 3.0. It has the same effect as miPatch . If wifi isnt available as seen in many cases in india , you have to do hell lot of other things to install cracked apps .Dont mix up with 2.2.1 and 3.0 read few of my previous posts . I was trying to tell that many people are finding it a little difficult jailbreaking 3.0 since they are used to earlier firmware and hence the trouble .
1) You still need to patch Mobileinstallation for that purpose in 3.0

2) This is done automatically by AppSync. So mobileinstallation patching technique is still the underlying mechanism which is taken care of by AppSync.

3) If "wifi isn't available" how is that an iPhone/3.0 firmware issue?

Look at your previous posts:

Dude do you know how much hastle has to be faced to run pirated apps on iphone firmware 3.0 .
Cracks me up dude... you wanna run pirated apps and are complaining coz you think its not easy!!! lol... that sentence sounds is as if you've paid thousands of bucks and even then something isn't working for you :p

If jailbreaking is not done properly there is decrease in performance of the devise and this is the reason why most people are complaining about 3.0 .
... and I say "if jailbreaking is not done properly you end up with a paper weight!" The device won't even boot...

Anyway , what i was originally trying to say is that touchscreen phones are usually slower (than their non-touchscreen counterpart) . For example , 5800 is wayyy slower than e71 , blackberry storm is slower than bold etc.
I'm not sure if thats the case in Nokia (since I've never haf experienced high end nokia phones except 5800), but how can you say that a touch screen phone has a non-touch screen counterpart? Its not like you haf Nokia 5800 and Nokia 5800NT (non-touch model). 5800 and e71 are completely different models (correct me if I am wrong). And I find absolutely no lag in either iPhone/iTouch or Pre or Hero.

Anyways, all the SE touchscreen phones suck, at least for me!

Tamoghno

Padawan
I'm not sure if thats the case in Nokia (since I've never haf experienced high end nokia phones except 5800), but how can you say that a touch screen phone has a non-touch screen counterpart? Its not like you haf Nokia 5800 and Nokia 5800NT (non-touch model). 5800 and e71 are completely different models (correct me if I am wrong). And I find absolutely no lag in either iPhone/iTouch or Pre or Hero.

They are not directly comparable but if you look closely you'll see that both phones uses same 369mhz procy , same 128mb ram and based on almost same platform (symbian 9.4 & 9.5) . But performence wise e71 is miles ahead of 5800 . Maybe its higher res screen or maybe unmatured firmware , but the end result is touchscreen are USUALLY slower.

You dont find v3 firmware in iphone 2g little laggy ? If it wasn't laggy what do you 3gs improved upon ?

Btw , definition of 'laggy' may be different to you and me . Most people find 5800 quite acceptable while i think its still slow.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
They are not directly comparable but if you look closely you'll see that both phones uses same 369mhz procy , same 128mb ram and based on almost same platform (symbian 9.4 & 9.5) . But performence wise e71 is miles ahead of 5800 . Maybe its higher res screen or maybe unmatured firmware , but the end result is touchscreen are USUALLY slower.
Thats what I was wondering about... is the comparison fair b/w 2 different models.

You dont find v3 firmware in iphone 2g little laggy ? If it wasn't laggy what do you 3gs improved upon ?
Definitely not! 1.1.2, 2.x, 3.0 are all as snappy on all iPhoneOS devices as ever. Why do you think Apple, by default, disabled a2dp, video rec. in the previous gen. models but still officially support 3.0? That is definitely not the reason why 3GS was introduced. If you don't keep churning out faster products you lose market and are lost in the oblivion.

Btw , definition of 'laggy' may be different to you and me . Most people find 5800 quite acceptable while i think its still slow.
That includes me :)

Coming to the topic, I believe SE has to come up with a UIQ-less smartphone in the 15k range to boost sales.

utsav

damn busy...
^^ yup, they do need some smartphone in that range and am very sure that nokia will be in trouble then

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
1)

3) If "wifi isn't available" how is that an iPhone/3.0 firmware issue?

Look at your previous posts:

... and I say "if jailbreaking is not done properly you end up with a paper weight!" The device won't even boot...
If wifi isnt available you have to manually ssh and replace the file , this is where most people get wrong . And you are wrong about jailbreaking . I can create various CFWes for 2.2.1 where the device will boot but will face many other probs like unable to connect to net , shows wrong memmory , apps related issues etc . Only some tools found on net like quickpwn , redsnow etc are not the only means for jailbreaking . You can create your own CFW and put your own functions in the device just by using dos , just a little programming knowledge is required .
Again you are getting me wrong , you have never understood my point .

Anyway back on topic regarding good OS and hardware on phone . I still dont remember a good SE smartphone . Dont get me wrong , they produce good Vfm phones but other then that there isnt much . Take w960 for instant , i had purchased it for my father back in 2007 but its uiq platform was way unstable . SE should start producing products like that of nokia n series ( n73) for eg if they want to increase their sale .

Last edited:

Tamoghno

Padawan
Coming to the topic, I believe SE has to come up with a UIQ-less smartphone in the 15k range to boost sales.

Dont worry , uiq is long dead .so we can expect to see some nice symbian based phones in future from se . But one thing i doubt is their price point , they dont seem to be interested in producing good midrange smartphone . They are too focused on very hign end right now like X2,satio , rachael none ,of will release @< 35k i guess.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
If wifi isnt available you have to manually ssh and replace the file , this is where most people get wrong . And you are wrong about jailbreaking . I can create various CFWes for 2.2.1 where the device will boot but will face many other probs like unable to connect to net , shows wrong memmory , apps related issues etc . Only some tools found on net like quickpwn , redsnow etc are not the only means for jailbreaking . You can create your own CFW and put your own functions in the device just by using dos , just a little programming knowledge is required .
Again you are getting me wrong , you have never understood my point .

My point was if you are not that familiar with jailbreaking then obviously you won't go create your own firmware. And you can't go wrong with pwnage tool coz that doesn't give you the option of manually adding or deleting some random important file.

Anyway back on topic regarding good OS and hardware on phone . I still dont remember a good SE smartphone . Dont get me wrong , they produce good Vfm phones but other then that there isnt much . Take w960 for instant , i had purchased it for my father back in 2007 but its uiq platform was way unstable . SE should start producing products like that of nokia n series ( n73) for eg if they want to increase their sale.
Thats my point. Just producing good hardware isn't enuf. You need complementing software and thats wehre SE is going wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom