Something like portable OS needed for Emergency

coldhart

Journeyman
My friend accidental deleted 100 mb system partition during installation of os (Windows 7) now OS disc isn't creating it again during installation, so installation is kinda stuck so i searched on google & find out after deleting all the partition on that hdd system partition can be created but other partition have valuable data which he needs to backup on external hdd so is there any way to boot pc from outside ie. dvd or usb pendrive. so data can be backup.

Download ubuntu (iso file) and use the free tool 'Universal USB Creator' to create a bootable pendrive containing ubuntu, them just attach the pendrive to the computer and restart your machine to boot into ubuntu and backut your data.

Download ubuntu (iso file) and use the free tool 'Universal USB Creator' to create a bootable pendrive containing ubuntu, them just attach the pendrive to the computer and restart your machine to boot into ubuntu and backut your data.

doomgiver

Warframe
best use ubuntu. it aready has ntfs-progs installed. and it even auto-detects/mounts the partitions.

OP, did you friend DELETE the partition, or FORMAT it? this is a VERY important point. coz if the partition is just 'deleted", but not formatted, it can be easily recovered. (using Hiren's bootCD)

also, always have a cpoy of hiren's boot cd at hand. its the single most useful thing you'll ever have, in case of computer emergencies (you can even break into a password protected windows PC using it.)

Last edited:
OP
C

coldhart

Journeyman
@ doomgiver
he deleted, recreated & formatted the partition but 100mb system drive didn't build automatically. i tried manually to create it but it didn't work

few years back my friend tried to copy data with linux live cd but data gotten crash (NTFS partition), does linux support partition which are formatted by windows?

im thinking about using ubuntu or fedora on his pc(Since i never tried it myself just for experience) will that os support to copy data from drive to external hdd via usb boot or dvd boot

External HDD - seagate backup plus 2tb

gameranand

Living to Play
@ doomgiver
he deleted, recreated & formatted the partition but 100mb system drive didn't build automatically. i tried manually to create it but it didn't work

few years back my friend tried to copy data with linux live cd but data gotten crash (NTFS partition), does linux support partition which are formatted by windows?

im thinking about using ubuntu or fedora on his pc(Since i never tried it myself just for experience) will that os support to copy data from drive to external hdd via usb boot or dvd boot

External HDD - seagate backup plus 2tb

Yes Ubuntu and Fedore support NTFS partitions. Also if he has recreated the partition then its unlikely that you'll recover most data.

OP
C

coldhart

Journeyman
Yes Ubuntu and Fedore support NTFS partitions. Also if he has recreated the partition then its unlikely that you'll recover most data.

What i mean is he accidentally deleted 100mb system partition then he deleted os partition hoping that while installing os, disc will automatically creates 100 mb sys partition like it usually does but disc didn't created it like it has to so he created 100 mb partition by himself but that partition didn't work as it suppose to. he didn't removed other partition on that hdd. now that fedora & Ubuntu both supports ntfs partition read, write & external hdd then i download one of them so it can be used on his pc

thanks everyone for valuable help

Last edited:

doomgiver

Warframe
try recovering the partitions itself, hiren's has a partition recovery tool.

rule 1 of recovery : DONT touch the device until you are ready with the tools.

Last edited by a moderator:

doomgiver

Warframe
knoppix cant do recovery work.

just ........ stop recommending useless solutions already

sharang.d

Youngling
My friend accidental deleted 100 mb system partition during installation of os (Windows 7) now OS disc isn't creating it again during installation, so installation is kinda stuck so i searched on google & find out after deleting all the partition on that hdd system partition can be created but other partition have valuable data which he needs to backup on external hdd so is there any way to boot pc from outside ie. dvd or usb pendrive. so data can be backup.

knoppix cant do recovery work.

just ........... stop recommending useless solutions already
Read the OP's requirement ................. He just wants to copy data to external HDD for which any live distro will work. He does not want to re-create the 100MB System reserved Win 7 partition.

Amazing lang btw.

doomgiver

Warframe
hiren's bootcd has better tools. and its less than half the size to download. and it has both linux and windows modes. cant beat that sort of functionality. (now, if i can just figure out how to add ddrescue to the damn RIP linux image, i wont need any linux distros anymore)

ok, so my comment about knoppix and recovery was a bit too extreme. i take that back.

amazing language? i just said "effing", lol.

Mod Edit : stop using this word - If you still can't figure out why read this :
Urban Dictionary: effing

sharang.d

Youngling
hiren's bootcd has better tools. and its less than half the size to download. and it has both linux and windows modes. cant beat that sort of functionality. (now, if i can just figure out how to add ddrescue to the damn RIP linux image, i wont need any linux distros anymore)

ok, so my comment about knoppix and recovery was a bit too extreme. i take that back.

amazing language? i just said "effing", lol.

If size is the only thing that matters then DSL (Damn Small Linux) is the smallest distro when it comes to size. Yes Hiren's boot CD is a good tool but since the OP just needs copy-paste operations anything will do.

I said amazing lang because I din't see you telling anyone else who suggested linux distros to "just ........ stop recommending useless solutions already". Get my point?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

windows 7 can be installed without the 100MB system partition - you just need to partition the HDD properly before installing win 7 - if your friend has no important data on C drive/partition then he can format that drive and install a fresh copy of OS very easily.

Top Bottom