Votes: 32 43.8%
  • I am neutral, mostly.

Votes: 24 32.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

anandk

Distinguished Member
strange but true, it appears that the cyber world is mostly divided into 2 parts :
1) people who JUST LOVE TO HATE microsoft ! :twisted:
2) people who appreciate microsoft ! :)
very few neutral to this sentiment !

almost 95% use its windows os; just around 3% mac and 2% linux.
but so what, that still gives them the right to hate ms, dznt it ? or does ;-) it ?!

this made me think a litle. if u hate something just dont use its products. period ! there are wonderful open-source options like linux, openoffice, etc avlbl ! go for that, then !

"ms is big. ms is ruthless. ms steals talent ! ms uses dirty tricks !"
these r some of the justification put forth !
ha ! which corporate does not do that ! :rolleyes:
its the same in the us , India, or the world over !

some say "ms makes a bad os" !
but when ms tries 2 add features to its os, it gets attacked by companies who provide these functions as 3rdparty vendors, like d av n d fw companies ! microsoft's history, combined with its incredibly deep pockets, makes it a wide-open target for harassment and the popularity of its windows makes it more prone to mal-attacks !

people persist in hating:mad: microsoft but just L-O-V-E :p google !
the logic perhaps lies in 'i hate ms' so "i love" its closest rival : google !

is google not a profit driven corporation, as is microsoft ?
wud google not steal talent from a competitor, as does microsoft ?

lets face it, all is fair in love, war and BUSINESS !!! :twisted:
creation of profit/wealth is the first motive of any business !
a 30 yr old microsoft has a mkt cap of $287 billion, but a relatively recent google has over $144 billion, and most of it derived from selling advertising to other companies ! the world hands over its info to google for free, but google charges for it !

so why the double standards !
lets be honest : which of us wouldnt want to be a :cool: BillGates !

time to question ourself : why :confused: do u hate ms ?
if the answer is a rational one, by all means go ahead and hate it; lets not just hate it bcoz its fashionable:oops: to do so !

perhaps u guys can pen ur views here and help me find an answer to this paradox !

my thoughts but inspired by : *blogs.zdnet.com/micro-markets/?p=646

and yes, btw, and dont be surprised if 2moro, ms and google form a cartel !!! :D

Last edited:
G

gxsaurav

1) High price of Software, they should understand that there is difference between the rate of doller & rupess

2) Let other companies share there technologies, atleast decoders, like NTFS read write or WMA/WMV

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
I hate MS because the prices of their code are just insane ( I know Apple is the biggest insane , still genuine MS products are out of reach of common people atleast in india ).
But I also love MS for making the most user friendly softwares and for its owner being a philanthropist.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Very true and what a topic to discuss!
First of all let me make it clear. It's all about user's personal opinion and in no way it should affect their sentiments.

I think that Microsoft is just put into limelight of hate without proper justification.
1. We wanted a User-friendly interface, which a school student should be able to manipulate just by dragging and dropping- Microsoft gave us in the form of Windows.

2. We wanted all kind of third party application support. Microsoft did it by providing enough kennels for the third party application developers. Hackers misuse this feature and we start blaming Microsoft for that!

3. We wanted all kind of Plug-ins to be added to Windows starting from USB, Bluetooth, Wi-fi bla.bla..bla....and still provide a very easy to use interface. Microsoft did it and again hackers misused this to inject their evil skills to steal users data.

4. We wanted to access different systems like a parallel connected circuit to be accessible to each other - again Microsoft did it in the form of Remote desktop, Hackers didn't even spare this one!

5. We wanted all kind of entertainment be made available. Microsoft did it by giving access to all kind of third party applications to run on it like a skater skating on ice.

the list just goes on and on...

It is evident that by providing such a user-friendly interface, mistakes do happen-after all Microsoft professionals are also human. They corrected those errors by giving us updates in the form of patches. And we started blaming Microsoft saying that it's whole body has full of patches! How does one justify it?

Double standards to its max?
Truth will prevail -people are using microsoft products, will be using in future and still manage to say 'I hate Microsoft'!

Last edited:

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
No...its not that i hate M$...but its the general settlement that u have to face if u become the best. ppl always envy the best...maybe not the best but the most popular. BillGates is a genius of his age, no doubt about that, and i often tend to agree with him when he says You DONT GET the BEST for NOTHING. There's something in M$ that we all tend to like that which is still not accomplished (to some extent) by both Linux and Mac. But when u r running on the system of billions, obviously a dissent of even 1% accounts to a big number. Everyday so many ppl have so many problems with windows(and other m$ software), coz the no. is very large.
SO , IMO, there's one BIG REASON to LOVE (TO HATE) M$ -: M$ SOFTWARE TROUBLE ME A LOT AT TIMES !!! ( and i dont use anything else much :p)

mediator

Technomancer
I agree with gx that some things shud be shared to maintain standards.
I don't hate microsoft! But only a few of its products like windows. Yea I know, u may think it as unreasonable. But thats the fact that whenva Microsoft releases a new OS, it can't be used freely. I'm not saying about Viruses, Spywares etc. But yea times is wasted in maintaining windows when u have a lotta users on ur PC specially noobies and gamers who install cheat softwares and themes full of infections. What I'm talkin about is the new windows OS can't be used without experiencing crashes and BSOD's untill they provide u with a couple of service packs. If they can provide an OS with no crashes or BSOD's, then that wud be much better and an end-user only sees this. He is not interested in company policies or any other excuse.

Then there is price factor. But that doesn't mean I hate MS. Neways in India price doesn't count. ;)

I do like most of its products like MS-Office, VMware and many more. SO its not about hating a company specifically. U just hate some of its policies, deadline unfulfillment and some its products. Overall I praise MS for leading the Desktop revolution.

The concept is actually very simple. If u have a stable operating system u like to work on it then and install whateva u want on it carelessly well not too carelessly either. But if u spend more time in installing/reinstalling the OS itself instead of softwares, then whats the point? Ur documents get lost, settings need to be reconfigured, 3rd party apps need to be installed again.
U might be disagreeing here. But most of the people aren't as professional as us and then they r the victims! Many people in mah college and many friends I know still install 2 antiviruses on their systems :oops: . I hope u got mah point!

So its only a few things like some policies and products they need to think on and improve . I don't hate anything without a reason. I don't hate windows becoz its fashionable, but because of years of experience of unreliabiltity and frustration.

My primary OS is Fedora 5 and I haven't been to windows for like 1 month for my purposes specifically. I think its more than a month that I did my work on windows. I just switch to windows to maintain it, do some scanning and remove infections so that mah family doesn't have any complaints. Future Windows Versions if improved dramatically may make me use Windows more.

But again I'm not a MS hater!! :)

ketanbodas

Journeyman
HeHe, wat a topic to discuss :) Maybe we get angry becos we cant afford to buy MS products, which r expensive in Indian Rupees. They shud reduce prices for 3rd world countries. NOW VISTA at 21 K, WTH.

S

SE><IE

I <3 MS :D :D

Reason is pretty simple- they are handing the blows single handedly. The so called :) Open source community is constantly attacking MS. Almost all the OSes are against MS. All flavours of Linux, Solaris, Mac etc. Its like a handicap match and guess who is still facing the blows happily. Its MS. I'm not going against the open-source but then take a look from the wider perspective. :)

[common argument] There are too many viruses on windows[/common argument]
Get up from your chair and move to the other corner. Take a look again. Windows' condition is like a bike in an open ground where many people at constanly throwing pebbles at it and the users don't want even a single dent on the bike.
Accept it, open source OSes aren't more secure; its just that very few people write viruses or search for loop-holes for them. Shouldn't it be that since the source code is freely available then there should be more "attacks" on open-source OSes? Its just some kinda religion that sits in the minds of 'hackers' (Hackers: virus writers, spyware developers etc). If you write one virus for windows then you are praised, if you write one for Linux then 'teri ma ki' , 'teri behan ki'

I praise MS. They have developed an OS which is damn simple to use. If you are one of the many people who hate MS then ask yourself "Why isn't Linux (, etc)'s installation more easier than windows?"
Where does you so called "very large community" go when it comes to ease of use? Why do many people still complain installing Linux made me sweat? Don't forget they are no n00bs in windows and it isn't either that they don't know anything about the logical structuring of partitions etc.

subratabera

Just another linux lover.
SE><IE said:
I <3 MS :D :D

Reason is pretty simple- they are handing the blows single handedly. The so called :) Open source community is constantly attacking MS. Almost all the OSes are against MS. All flavours of Linux, Solaris, Mac etc. Its like a handicap match and guess who is still facing the blows happily. Its MS. I'm not going against the open-source but then take a look from the wider perspective. :)

[common argument] There are too many viruses on windows[/common argument]
Get up from your chair and move to the other corner. Take a look again. Windows' condition is like a bike in an open ground where many people at constanly throwing pebbles at it and the users don't want even a single dent on the bike.
Accept it, open source OSes aren't more secure; its just that very few people write viruses or search for loop-holes for them. Shouldn't it be that since the source code is freely available then there should be more "attacks" on open-source OSes? Its just some kinda religion that sits in the minds of 'hackers' (Hackers: virus writers, spyware developers etc). If you write one virus for windows then you are praised, if you write one for Linux then 'teri ma ki' , 'teri behan ki'

I praise MS. They have developed an OS which is damn simple to use. If you are one of the many people who hate MS then ask yourself "Why isn't Linux (, etc)'s installation more easier than windows?"
Where does you so called "very large community" go when it comes to ease of use? Why do many people still complain installing Linux made me sweat? Don't forget they are no n00bs in windows and it isn't either that they don't know anything about the logical structuring of partitions etc.

OK. Let me say something...

I personally don't hate M$. In fact I love them for developing something which is so successful. As far as OSS goes, don't you think that Linux community is working very hard to deliver something which can be as great as Windows or MAC. They just need our support to work for us. Please don't hate them. How do you feel if you have helped someone and (s)he says you bad word for it. Linux is becoming more popular and powerful with every new release and I hope one day it will eventually come very close to Windows.

Can I ask you one thing....Are you using legal versions of each and every Windows software???

If not then, suppose if M$ softwares cannot be pirated then what do you think you do? Buy each and every software you need? I don't think so. We don't have enough money for that. And I think one day most M$ softwares can't be pirated. That day OSS can save you. So, friend, don't hate OSS and try to help them by using there software...:)

AshishSharma

Livin' in the ghetto
I wouldn't say I love MS because of the obvious reasons already highlighted by you all.

But I can't hate it as well for first thats what earns me my bread & butter and second I love their Softwares. My company pays for my softwares so yes I am 100% MS and 100% Legal but I do agree if I had to buy them I'll most probably be running Linux right now.

MS has been at the forefront of all new Computer Technologies which were then incorporated by others it's not the most stable / safe for the obvious reason that everyone wants to crack it.

I do support Open Source as well bcz thats where future rests but for now I am with MS for what they have given us so far.

S

SE><IE

So, friend, don't hate OSS and try to help them by using there software...

I never said I hate OSS. What I meaant was that its not good to hate MS beacuse their products are easy to use. I just meant that OSS are harder to use (basically the OS only) as compared to windows whereas it should have been more easier keeping in mind that many people are devoting their time.

Here, let me quote myself
sexie said:
I praise MS. They have developed an OS which is damn simple to use. If you are one of the many people who hate MS then ask yourself...
I was talking of those who shout without thinking anything.
No harm meant :)

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
Argument #1: Hatred is the new fashion, and Microsoft is a popular brand. 'nuff said!
Argument #2: Microsoft is like a village bicycle; everyone gets a free ride.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
I dont hate MS and I still love Open source software. I am against hating anyone just because everyone is doing so In a truly free mkt its everyone who has to make his choice free or paid.

While I categorize Micrsoft's attempts like the getthefacts campaign as sheer Tomfoolery I am equally against FOSS fanatics who keep on criticizing Microsoft as not doing so will make them stop breathing.

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
I hate microsoft for its monopoly and sueing competitors and Free Software Community especially GNU/Linux for infringing patents(wat da F!k?),sponsoring SCO in the SCO vs Linux Kernel case indirectly by funding SCO Unix via another company.
I Hate Microwsoft for its founder Bill Gates for Bad Business Practises.

I Hate M$ for its supporting piracy(now this seems to change,i've seen in Coimbatore,TamilNadu,every bus bay and other main centres they docks Hoarding in Tamil/English asking for buying original Microsoft Products+their recent raids in CBE.)by not taking necessary steps like reducing the OS cost and raids.

I Hate M$ for its FUD(fear,uncertainity and doubt) Program Sponsored allover the World against GNU,FLOSS and Linux.A Malyali was one of the Inventor and in-charge of its FUD program.that proves Microwsoft goes well beyond making buggy softwares.

I Hate Microsoft and their allies(means most 3rd party s/w) for making innocent teens their fanboys!It is the case with Mac computer users also.(but cant blame them 2 much as they are having in their inner mind "me bought it for 1 Lakhs Plus Rs,so mine is the best" policy-pls dont bring mac mini here,thats another story)

I Hate Micorsoft for threatening Windows OS dependent Governments like South Korea they withdrew their crap from those markets!

and more.

Linux is the past,Present and Future AND No MCSE certification will make you feel top of the world.

jack// ani

In the zone
shashank_re said:
I love microsoft.No matter how costly their OS is!

oh...so will you buy vista of 20000 buck....and tell me who is gonna buy, alteast i'll never!!

microsoft products are way too costly.....and yes i'll never buy that crippled starter version, which they dump in india at low cost.

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
woah - quite an intellectually stimulating discussion going on here ! ;)

point accepted : for developing countries, their products do appear expensive ! but for some reasons, ms just dznt want to consider a differential pricing policy for developing countries. maybe they have their reasons !

a great idea :idea: for MS would be to make WINDOWS 98 as FREEWARE !

its an old os, but with a little bit of sprucing-up work done, and by re-branding it as say 'Windows Basix', they should distribute it as a freeware (not open-source, as that could open up other sorts of proprietoral problems for ms) in the developing countries.

Let the students, schools, colleges have this version. it becomes win-win situation. those who cant afford, have an easy-to-use os; and for ms, it will hook up the people to its windows platform. such a step would also curtail the tendency to go in for pirated software, which lets face it, IS VERY common. those who want to upgrade can always pay for xp or vista !

ms experiment of introducing the starter edition here, seems to have failed, as people started considering it as crippleware ! but something like making W98 a freeware might just be the revolutionary goodwill-winning idea for ms, whose time has come !

drsethi

Journeyman
windows and linux are friends now
*www.novell.com/linux/microsoft/openletter.html
Bill Gates now loves Linux!

mediator

Technomancer
@anandk : Making WIndow 98 a freeware won't help. Students, schools, colleges want a Stable operating system to work on and not an OS that crashes more time than no. of lines of code that a student can write ! Students want their data and educational information to be stored for long times. And 98 hang-ups quite frequently on startups itself. Even if the school,college is poorly maintained with no UPS they will be more frustrated by crashes,BSODs and hangups than the power failure!

OP
anandk

anandk

Distinguished Member
^ maybe true. but a lot of guys STILL use win98. i am saying is that instead of such guys still using the pirated win98, 'spruce' it up and then release the re-branded and improvised version as a freeware (!). hey, its just an idea ... if they want a stable one well they then have to go in for an xp/linux/mac...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom