Slumdog should havent won ..Must Read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Well I appreciate the way in which the movie was made & that too by a British director. It was good but mind you not worthy of an Oscar. Not sure what compelled them to grant this movie an Oscar. I am surprised The Dark Knight received such less nominations as this movie beat SDM in every aspect. Heck Hans Zimmer's score for this movie was way better than SDM. :?

For all those who are saying TZP was crap..r they out of their fking mind :x

Movies like SWADES, Lagaan and TZP deserve oscars not such BS movie like SM

Tell me

Do you like Ringa Ringa more than "Yeh jo Des hai Tera"

Do you like Ringa Ringa more than "Main kabhi batlata nahin par andhere se darrta hun main maa"

Do you like Ringa Ringa more than "Tu dhoop hai chamm se bikhar"

Do you like Ringa Ringa more than " Yun hee chala chal raahi "

SWADES which truly depicts INDIA doesnt got Oscar while this SM who shows INDIA as a slum got it ...

ITS ONLY CUZ THIS FILM IS MADE BY A WHITE MAN...with Indian cast ..and all INDIA is rejoicing as they have won the whole world ..pretty lame ppl we are :x
Oh god.
Firstly, stop trying to enforce your thoughts on others with ":mad:" and caps (dont want to this statement to sound like an insult)

I completely agree with the fact that SM was not the best film of the year (TCCOBB, Milk or Frost Nixon were the only contendors IMO)

Its an above average film, (refer to my previous post on this thread :wink: )

Swades, Lagaan 's music (whom you are comparing to Ringa Ringa) was composed by A R Rahman, who truly desreved the Oscar despite the fact that SM was an average album (he deserves it for all that he has done till date, SM was merely his ticket to US after Bombay Dreams)

Dont keep saying "White guy/American Guy(Danny Boyle is British BTW :p) /bad taste/shows slums in India"
Face it, such slums do exist, unless we accept it, they will continue to co-exist with us and will not develop.

And compare TZP with the other contendors in Foreign Category (posted Wikipedio links earlier) and you will realize that TZP is not "that" extra-ordinary"

Instead, laugh and be happy that the West is now dancing (finally) to Rahman's tunes, something which we have been doing since '93 :D

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
Mahatma Gandhi never won The Nobel Peace Prize. even though he won our freedom with peace. Why? Indians will never get recohnised in the world stage :p David Boyle being an Americano, won the oscars but had the same movie being directed by an indian, would just get some nominations. How blatantly the Oscars went to this stupid movie is beyond my level of thinking.

I think you know that but in case you dont....
*timesfoundation.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1259859.cms

Anyway...40 years ago Oliver! won best film award!! Who cares about that? Everyone knows 2001: A Space odyssey is the film of '68!!

30 years ago Kramer vs. Kramer won best film award!! Who cares about that? Everyone knows Apocalypse Now is the film of '78!!

20 years ago Driving Miss Daisy won best film award!! Who cares about that? Everyone knows Mississippi Burning is the film of '88!!

In 1998 Shakespeare in Love won won best film award!!Who cares about that?It's a joke that Shakespeare in Love was even considered above Saving Private Ryan!!Biggest mistake ever!!!

Today, Slumdog millionaire won!! 10 years from now and no1 will care about this mediocre drama!!It's the year of THE DARK KNIGHT!!!!!The fact that Academy members fail to see it as an achievement in film making and the fact that it's hardly a comic book film is sad!!!

Last edited:
I really don't understand what the big deal here is.

An Indian diplomat wrote a book which was made into a movie by a British Director with some British NRIs and some Indians as actors and it was a bilingual movie - with a third of the movie in Hindi and two thirds of it in English. A well known multinational music composer who happens to be an Indian composed music for the movie.

And you guys are fighting whether its an Indian movie or an American movie.

Grow up guys, its an international film about an international issue - POVERTY.

If you want TZP, Lagaan and all other favorite movies of yours to get Oscars, start your own award show and present awards to them. The world has enough space in it for ALL of us.

An Indian diplomat wrote a book which was made into a movie by a British Director with some British NRIs and some Indians as actors and it was a bilingual movie - with a third of the movie in Hindi and two thirds of it in English. A well known multinational music composer who happens to be an Indian composed music for the movie.

If you want TZP, Lagaan and all other favorite movies of yours to get Oscars, start your own award show and present awards to them. The world has enough space in it for ALL of us.
Well said :twisted:

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
^^you seriously need to watch some good Indian movies dude. I have seen many movies including other language ones with subtitles but this movie was merely a hollywoodish presentation of an Okish Bollywood movie.

Grapes are not sour but you are on the wrong ivy.

You got me all wrong (cause you suck lol :D). I never said SM was a great movie. All I'm saying is that had it been an Indian film people wouldn't be complaining so much (and by people I mean Indians). They would have just been happy that an Indian movie won an award, regardless of whether it deserved it or not.

krates

Be CoOl rAp RuLeZ !!!

+1

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
krates said:
You got me all wrong (cause you suck lol ). I never said SM was a great movie. All I'm saying is that had it been an Indian film people wouldn't be complaining so much (and by people I mean Indians). They would have just been happy that an Indian movie won an award, regardless of whether it deserved it or not.
I doubt that. :neutral:
If it's about happiness, people are still happy, many of'em.

OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
I am not judging a movie by its songs but SM's music is pretty mediocre as compared to Swades and Lagaan..I have seen SM before it has won any award and I was surprised why ppl are gng GAGA over it

Regd Best film I have seen TCCBO and its a beautiful film ...It must have won OSCAR..

I will see "The Reader shortly"..but SM doesnt deserve a piece of OSCAR

Highly partial awards OScars are !

anurag_bhd

May the Force be with you

Very well said.

foruamit2004

Broken In
I read the first post when no one had replied, but didn't bother to post at that time, but for the people saying that swadesh's music was better then SM then its just your personal taste,the very same way the original post is, I never liked swedesh's music to be good enough but loved the lagan music so what??

Atlest care to compare SM with movies launched in 08,for example if in any class everyone is scoring above 80% then offcourse topper will have above 80% marks, but the next year if everyone is getting below 80% then topper will also be getting less then 80%, now you start crying that this years topper is no better then anyone of the last year batch...

people telling about "curios case of.." that the concept was great, then its not true at all, you should say it was different, different in a way which disturbed you or affected you..but their are no of people who got damn fracking bored while watching that movie including me... academy decided what they felt right that time, offcourse sometimes decisions are affected by personal views, but still they are not noobs like most of us, eg. when some emotional scene comes in the moive which manages to get some water in ur eyes and you have decided that this is the best movie(based on how much water you got in ur eyes)..their are many similar type of examples like that...

SM was an international movie, people here knows that its not an indian movie, but they only knows to compare it with hindi movies+ some 2-3 english movies... look around, try to understand what non-indians wud have thought/felt after seeing SM, for them it was not a indian movie..they didn't like it because they were slums of india, they liked it for what movie had offered to them..

Also i'm 100% sure that the first post only wud have managed to change the views of many around here, because the writing is tad emotional, no facts nothing at all, just the personal writing, like what i'm writing now...

Last edited:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Its sad that technicians of the calibre of Resul have to win something as stupid as an Oscar to gain recognition. There are so many people behind the scenes who'se work is as technically brilliant. This episode has convinced me that the Oscars are a hack.

^^Exactly, but you forget that Oscars are mainly catered towards a different section of people - the mainstream pop-culture following movie buff.

Yes we have great techies working behind the scenes in movies, but Oscars are definitely not the place they should look at to be recoganised. I know several great soundtracks and mixing done for movies which haven't even been nominated. Take a look at Fast And Furious Tokyo Drift's theme song for example. A splendid work on a bilingual track which has been completely ignored by the oscars.

I am not judging a movie by its songs but SM's music is pretty mediocre as compared to Swades and Lagaan..I have seen SM before it has won any award and I was surprised why ppl are gng GAGA over it

Regd Best film I have seen TCCBO and its a beautiful film ...It must have won OSCAR..

I will see "The Reader shortly"..but SM doesnt deserve a piece of OSCAR

Highly partial awards OScars are !

Plz read my previous post :p

Oh god.
Firstly, stop trying to enforce your thoughts on others with ":mad:" and caps (dont want to this statement to sound like an insult)

I completely agree with the fact that SM was not the best film of the year (TCCOBB, Milk or Frost Nixon were the only contendors IMO)

Its an above average film, (refer to my previous post on this thread :wink: )

Swades, Lagaan 's music (whom you are comparing to Ringa Ringa) was composed by A R Rahman, who truly desreved the Oscar despite the fact that SM was an average album (he deserves it for all that he has done till date, SM was merely his ticket to US after Bombay Dreams)

Dont keep saying "White guy/American Guy(Danny Boyle is British BTW :p) /bad taste/shows slums in India"
Face it, such slums do exist, unless we accept it, they will continue to co-exist with us and will not develop.

And compare TZP with the other contendors in Foreign Category (posted Wikipedio links earlier) and you will realize that TZP is not "that" extra-ordinary"

Instead, laugh and be happy that the West is now dancing (finally) to Rahman's tunes, something which we have been doing since '93 :D

spironox

Booting Nicotine!!
what ever the movie was... i dint understand what it was about but hey 8 Oscars

idiots like me would rush to see and understand again what it was

about satyam <>maytas movie i am ready to book tickets from now itself .. provided there are no songs !! heheheh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom