Silent Hill: Homecoming Discussion

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Mine fav instumental is Cold Blood :p Gives the most chilling after-war feeling.

Mary Elizabeth Glynn has sung some awesome vocals too :p One More Soul to the call.

I had listened to Akira Yamaoka compositions like crazy :D
*www.last.fm/user/visio159

I no more use lastFm now . I think I should start updating it now :D

Last edited:

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
The intro instrumental track for SH5 is bloody brilliant. It has a very soft symphony & the piano work is composed flawlessly.

T, do you know anything about the Pyramid Head's appearance in earlier SH series?

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
yup it was first time in Silent Hill 2, and there Pyramid Head played the most crucial part. It is immortal, you can't kill it. I was so freaked out everytime when I saw it, but it was not that bad afterall.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
I thought he would be the end boss in this installment but sadly it was Amnion. What exactly is his role in this game?

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I don't think he plays anything important in Homecoming. I haven't played it yet though.

In SH 2 he was the second last boss (but there is some twist too), the main one is a surprise you better unravel yourself. I encountered it more than 4 instances and he was with different weapons. I got late his great knife too :D

*images3.wikia.nocookie.net/silent/images/a/a8/Pyramid_head.jpg
This painting in historical society level (SH 2) reveals a lot about him.

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
ZOMG the sound quality of ogg files in the music folders is awesome !!! Crystal clear :D

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
yep, but will be able to play it after I get HDD RMAed. I don't want to install XP on the same HDD with Linux.

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Couldn't resist, installed it on the HDD reserved for Fedora 10.

So far I have reached till second save. Graphics are awesome, Alex is much more capable in fighting nurses :p Shadow and lights effects are top notch. But still I haven't found a Silent Hill touch apart from menu navigation. May be subsequent playthrough will prove me wrong.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
^lol so you atlast installed it. The game is great but remember only start playing it when you have a loot of time as the saves are few and far apart.

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^yup

I tweaked the config file and found that physics is disabled by default, also set the frame limit to 40 from 30. There is one value which when edited makes AI lifeless, they won't attack you...pretty funny to look around nurses then. I reached at Alex's house, now there is something in the basement :p I will checkout next time.

Here are some more thing I noticed, for bad. Cutscenes sometimes stutters and the sound gets mono, some problem with port. The display settings in menu are too basic...lolz.

As for graphics, they aren't better than previous SH games (essentially SH 4). I can see low res textures on objects obscured by blur and other shading techniques. But the lights and shadow effects are just amazing and adds to the atmosphere.

Alex's model is detailed but everyone else's is not given much attention (see judge Hollaway).

EDIT: Oh btw I forgot to add that I died while getting that bunny doll from the hole, hand was amputated. It felt so numb. Btw that hole is a trademark of SH series, it was in SH 2, 3 and 4 :D

Last edited:

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
^The 30 frames cap won't budge even if you tweak the file for getting 1000 frame rates. It's just locked. I tried with both MaxFps & just FPS but nothing worked.

The sound like I mentioned before is very low. The vocals are almost non-existent. If it weren't for the subs I wouldn't get a head or tail of the storyline. The music during boss fights are fantastic. Especially the Scarlet boss.

You should check out Elle & Detective Wheeler's character models later on in the game. They have been given a good detail albeit being NPC's. The whole town has a foggy look, that's a traditional SH look I believe. I didn't have any complaints about the graphics as long as that fear was invoked with a good environment setup. The Rosemary Cemetery is something which really look creepy not to mention the grand hotel's lifts. The level design is just amazing.

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^yeah that 30 fps cap can not be overridden by editing that file. I just got to see some lurkers (funny thing is that they look like leapers from Dead Space).

Have been away from gaming for a week now. Feeling so deprived of it:(
Allowed to play only on weekends now..Damn! Will start the game from Friday. Will I be able to finish this game by Sunday?
I am stuck somewhere when we have to find someone who can fix the gun. Any hints?

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Depends on how fast & for how long you'll play it. It took me roughly 3-4 days to complete it with 2 hours session per day. The puzzles would only be the trickiest part. The boss fights and the rest are very easy.

I am stuck somewhere when we have to find someone who can fix the gun. Any hints?
Have you reached the Rosemary Cemetery? If not then you'll first have to make your way through it then back to streets of Shepard Glen. After you get your walkie talkie a cut-scene will trigger then from there you'll need to make your way to Curtis's shop which is somewhere in the Junkyard. Use the map, it might have some direction in there. AFAIK that objective never gets completed. I have noticed it to remain all throughout the game.

OP
Faun

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
K I reached upto Curtis and got the gun :p But I have to restart from cemetery checkpoint. Cemetery was not scary as I thought but sure was feeling very lonely.
Ferals are so easy to kill !

To my surprise the older drivers stopped the stuttering of cutscenes and the game is now much smooth.

Here are 2 glitches :/ lol
*i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/silenthillhomecoming/physicsglitch.jpg
This one is OMGWTFBBQ type, Alex was almost like voo doo doll :D

*i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/silenthillhomecoming/eternalcutscenegameplayglitch.jpg
This is infamous eternal cutscene gameplay glitch, Even after cutscene with Curtis ends I am still in curscene and can even fire weapons move outside but couldn't get out as the camera was constrained. Guess I will have to complete it from Rosemary Cemetery check point again.

I'm impressed with the Elle cutscene, it was so fluid and nicely animated. I remembered old silent hill games (Silent Hill 3). But why the hell Elle was mad so ordinary looking, no seduction no hotness factor...lol. It was a tradition in SH series.

Got 2 serums too, I like to explore areas :p

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
I hate to admit it but all that button mashing combos on my mouse just made it's right & left taps a bit weaker after this game. God I hate those tapping combos. :mad:

Top Bottom