Signs of Hot trouble?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
T

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Hmm that fixed it. Now its running at 4018 Mhz. Temps shot up b 7 to 10 Deg overall though.

Moderate gaming is causing 57 Deg which is well below TjMax of 79 Deg hence not bothering. :D
Thanks for the Tip.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ mine also ran at same speed with same amount of cpu vcore but I've decided to run my 955BE at stock speed with 1.25 cpu vcore for the time being - once the summer season is over I'll bump up the clock speed again.

OP
T

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
The 800 Mhz boost is really showing effect in WC III launch speed.

Why Wait you got CM 212 also right?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ yep, but I think the games I'm playing right now ( Kingdom of Amalur ) don't require that much cpu power - so saving some power to see how efficient a cpu can run at stock speed with lowest possible cpu vocre - I was able to successfully run the cpu with only 1.225 cpu vcore at stock speed but as I was facing start up issues I've to se;lect 1.25v - anyway, will experiment with 1.2v cpu vcore only next time ;-)

OP
T

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Well I bumped Multi to 20.5 and not its running at 4118 Mhz.

Anything above this and its BSOD.

Whats the Way forward? or I have hit the wall of Air cooling :p

Changing BUS frequency by 10 MHZ..i.e. 200 Mhz +10 Mhz also giving BSOD.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ only way is to bumping up the cpu vcore but don't go over 1.55v with Air cooling but even 1.55v is risky in this hot summer season ( and cheap mobos don't have VRM heatsink, remember ? ) and don't let the cpu temps cross over 62c/65c.

OP
T

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
I think 4 to 4.2GHz is pretty much the Wall for PH II. Performance boost received so far is enough and I will try to reduce Volts to 1.45v to reduce temps.

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
I think 4 to 4.2GHz is pretty much the Wall for PH II. Performance boost received so far is enough and I will try to reduce Volts to 1.45v to reduce temps.

check how many phases does ur mobo has... gigabyte has an 880g with 3+1 phase if you have that board..... dial down the crazy on the Vcore you could still scale the clocks up with lower temps...

and phenom II's "wall" is ~7GHz...

also check how stryker black e oc'ed his system thats how u should OC too.... only clock speeds dont help in increasing performance...

OP
T

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
I meant to say for air cooling man. Whos gonna pour LN2 24x7 to keep it running at 7 GHz :p

And can you provide the link for that OC thing?

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/hardware-q/156317-maximum-oc-limit-phenomii-x4-955-a.html

Yea, the wall suggests cpu's organizational/architectural wall... 4.1GHz is pretty much the limit on air for Phenom II X4 955...

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I meant to say for air cooling man. Whos gonna pour LN2 24x7 to keep it running at 7 GHz :p

And can you provide the link for that OC thing?

@ OP - continue your OC discussion here :

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/hardware-q/156317-maximum-oc-limit-phenomii-x4-955-a.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom