showing less vram

akash22

Journeyman
guys previously i had win 7 32 bit with 1 gb ddr5 graphics which used to show 2.3gb in dxdiag but lately when i upgraded my ram and installed win 7 64 bit, i noticed that now it's showing 721mb ram in dxdiag. why? and is there any way to free my vram. i even tried by switchng to low visual effects from os but no gain!!! and also after instaling free ram xp why it is showing 4095mb(100%) ram free, even though i have 8 gigs of ram installed????

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Well the the VRAM I guess is shared by the OS and it hence shows the ammount usable. Is there any problem with graphics or gaming which makes you want to free more VRAM?
Check if a 64 bit of the program is available :wink:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
what shared by OS? irrespective of how many OS you install, 64bit Win7 should show full amount.

@OP, check in bios if any option is there which caps the max memory available to OS. also check if CPUZ shows full ram & GPUZ shows correct vram.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Sam said:
what shared by OS? irrespective of how many OS you install, 64bit Win7 should show full amount.
I mean this-
*i.imgur.com/8IO6Y.jpg

My 1 GB card shows Total 2 GB. But 1 Gig is shared.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
my bad. i thought you were talking about sharing between OSs :oops:

but the strange part is his GPU. its showing less than 1Gb memory.

OP
akash22

akash22

Journeyman
YA in gpuz it's showing full but in dxdiag is showing 721mb. and yes previously in 32 bit it used to show 2.3gb memory. and m using 64 bit drivers only!!

mine too used to show 2gb in 32 bit but now in 64 bit it is showing less. and nothing in bios.and now i can't find my snipping tool too. strange!!!!!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update your gfx card drivers and install the latest DirectX Run Time package and post feedback.

OP
akash22

akash22

Journeyman
i already have 11.11 catalyst drivers and installed d latest runtime package. but still d same and now for some reasons i can't find snipping tool in my accessories folder

008Rohit

Broken In
Its normal that its showing 24xx MB total VRAM. 1GB is inbuilt and another 1GB is shared.

XP shows 4096MB total because its a 32bit OS and it only supports memory upto 4GB. Your Windows 7 x64 shows total 8GB memory as its a 64bit OS.

Top Bottom