Search for a serious NAV alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gxsaurav

This is a file which contains 594 Viruses, & they are for real, I MEAN REAL, DO NOT OPEN OR EXTRECT THE ZIP FILE TO YOUR PC OR THE AFTERNETHS I DON'T KNOW, IT WILL HARM A LOT, ALL THE VIRUS INCLUDED ARE REAL WORLD VIRUSES

Simply download & then scan this file by right clicking on it & selecting scan for virus or something like that, under any circumstances DO NOT OPEN THE FILE

LINK - *fette-toolz.blackworld4u.de/virus/455VIREN.zip

Just download it & scan with your antivirus, and tell the result here, if U can't download it thn also tell that with th reason weather your AV software halted it or some other problem, BUT DO NOT OPEN THE FILE

Wildstyle

Broken In
You know what guys? I am going to break the tradition and abandon NAV. I'll use Kaspersky if it works well.

The reason is I recently upgraded to NAV 2004 from NAV 2003 (woe to me! A dozen techies talk about it everywhere that NAV sucks more than NAV 2003 or 2002 ever did). 2004 has this irritating feature which pops up a 'file is waiting to be scanned' dialogue box right over the clock. Until you click OK, it will prevent access to that file. This resulted in a broken download etc. Grrrrr....

And I do think that it makes my computer slower, even with the ample RAM and CPU I have. Why not save more of it, thinks I?

Now where is that 'wrrrrr**** site' for downloading full software ;-) :p

theraven

Technomancer
wildstyle .. go for it .. kaspersky is amazin ...
i just made the shift .. it found 10 new viri on my system that norton said was clean
just one problem ... some files require a password to scan ... i dun get whats that all abt

medpal

Medic on Call!!
kaspersky is amazing and one of the best around do switch over there.

@the raven : i think the password requirements is for the packages (i mean installers) which are supplied by the companies and they are not allowing the thorough scanning (others did not detected it because they do not scan that deep).

so enjoy.

[deXter]

Journeyman
Indyan, I wouldn't recommend eXtendia to anybody, even if it has seemingly better statistics.. Take a look at my earlier reply, or maybe even the eXtendia website..

theraven

Technomancer
the password requirement comes up and it says " this file was created with a pwd. enter ped to scan"
and they arent zips or rars .. i think one filename extension was like .scn or something ..
anyways i barely have pwd protected files/archives ... the few i have passed thru without a warning ..
weird

theraven

Technomancer
dunno .... its ok tho .... those are files for certain programs that i know .... so they cant be a threat
everything else is scanned perfectly well ...
ive used quite a few AV's .. i was happy with norton till i decided to give kaspersky a shot ...
anyways ...'nuff said ... my contribution to the topic is more than requred :D

tuxfan

Technomancer
May be they r used by some other applications which is password protected or encrypted by da application..

So what if a virus creates a malicious password protected file? Kaspersky won't be able to scan it :(

theraven

Technomancer
@tux
dude its not password protected files ..
it just says this file was created with a pwd
provide pwd to scan
and this happened with a few files ... but of well known programs ..
so i dun think there should be a problem
and this is like a problem only i have as of now .. havent heard anyone else say anything ...
the rest of the guys ..well i can show statistics again .. but like i always say
to each his/her own ! :D

silverTwins

Broken In
hey anyone has tried mks_vir. it is the best antivirus available around which can just whip the a**es of some of the viruses that even nav and mcafee cant even detect!!!!!!

Wildstyle

Broken In
Moving from NAV to Kaspersky, I am beginning to get that familiar déjà vu sort of feeling.... like when moving from Internet Exploiter to Mozilla Firefox :D

G

gxsaurav

true wildstyel, it happens, use it for 1 month, no matter how much your mind tells U to go back to NA, if U have below 256 MB RAM, then NAV2K4 or later isn't for U

tuxfan

Technomancer
theraven said:
it just says this file was created with a pwd
provide pwd to scan
So what happens if you don't have the password? It won't scan it? And who decides which application is reliable and which is not?

Wildstyle

Broken In
@rajat: Agreed, Norton Antivirus is awesome. It has served me loyally for the past 3-4 years and kept my system clean from all sorts of virii. It's just that if I can get the same protection from a slightly less resource-hungry AV at the cost of a few lesser features... mmm I'll take it.
If you open the Windows Task Manager and look at the number of NAV related processes open in the memory, it's a bit scary. Secure but scary. And when you are going to play games, every bit counts.

I also noticed that in all the recent 'new virus found' announcement, most of them are detected by Kaspersky Labs, like the earlier ones were led by Symantec.

Symantec is terrific no doubt but new players have to be given their chance. We can't forget how Firefox stole the show, silently and gracefully. Or how Linux became a significant alternative.

It's all in the spirit of promoting good software, whether it's NAV or Kaspersky or even F-secure (my personal 'old servant, still a pleasant memory' thing)

OP
mariner_5147

mariner_5147

Broken In
Thanks for all these awesome response. Now here is a reversal. Exactly six days back I got hold of NIS 2005 (Full version). As we all know it comes with NAV 2005 bundled and installs it without asking. Now I have seen that this bundled combination (without intenet worm protection as in NAV 2005 Pro) performs better, albeit marginally, than my previous configuration of NIS 2003 (without Antispam) and NAV 2004 Pro. On the other hand I have Kaspersky Personal Edition and Sygate Personal Firewall Pro loaded on Windows Me.

What I have found out, as others have already pointed out, Kaspersky have some issue with archieved files relating to passwords. Otherwise it is so much faster and leaner than NAV. Though I must point out that it didnot detect as many virus in my collection as NAV. I however disregard this result which is against all other results I found elsewhere.

Basically the problem I am now facing is which firewall to chose to go with Kaspersky, as I cannot have NIS 2005 only, without NAV. I somehow, bit illogically, fond of NIS, probably because of its free update feature. But NIS do not give me the ability to see which program is connecting to which IP nad port in real time. I personally do not like ZA. Sygate is nice, and I am willing to try out Tiny Firewall Pro.

Can anyone tell me how can I make NIS to show me the connections that various programs are making in realtime.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom