Search for a serious NAV alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariner_5147

Broken In
I have been using Norton Anti Virus (various versions) for a long time. But it has been a compromise between decent detection performance, popularity, regular updates on one hand and system resources hogging on the other. Recently I installed NAV 2005 on a friend's computer and such was the slow down of system performance that now I am seriously thinking of an alternative. I have tried PC-Cillin, McAfee, AVG, Panda. But I stuck to NAV anyway.

I saw the AV program testing results on www.virus.gr. This site claims to have one of the largest virus collection. There Kaspersky Personal Pro version 4.5.0.58 has the highest rating (99.09% detection) in the most recent tests followed by F-Secure 2004 version 4.71.5 (98.77% detection). McAfee and NAV are ranked 7th and 8th respectively. For detains go to
*www.virus.gr/english/fullxml/default.asp?id=67&mnu=67.

However I have my doubts as Kasperesky and F-secure are really not talked about product.

I would like to know:
1. If the above mentioned site is reliable?
2. Is there any other reliable recent test results available online?
3. Was there any testing reviews in DIGIT recently and if yes which issue?
4. What are your thoughts about Kaspersky and F-secure?
5. Which AV program u think is the best?

Thanks

P.S: If there is any discussion thread like this here, please point me there. I searched but too many results came up (258).

gamefreak14

Journeyman
I'm using NAV 2005 from the past 4 days. It runs exactly the same as before, though start up time has increased by about a whole minute. Anyway, what I did like most about it is that it has 'internet worm protection' which is pretty nifty. Of course it doesn't come upto Zonealarm's standards, but i've found Zonealarm to be better suited for paranoids. So i find NAV presently as the best of both worlds.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Hello,

how about thinking of a serious alternative to your Operating System ??? GNOME - KDE will most surely not let you down....

OP
mariner_5147

mariner_5147

Broken In
GNUrag I know ur a big fan of Linux and i do use mandrake, but rite now i am not in position for changing my computing habbits. So I am stuck with virii, so if u have any good suggession regarding this topic i will very much appreciate it.

thnx

tuxfan

Technomancer
AVG is a nice alternative. Go to *www.grisoft.com or search thru some Digit DVD/CD for AVG. I think it is there in one of the recent ones. Install it and update the virus definitions thru net.

mariner

Ambassador of Buzz
well u see the other threads then the points go to kaspersky. the the one which got the most revs from ppl.

Jatin_T

Journeyman
Hey -I too removed norton coz it just made my PC too slow and the liveupdate on dialup was horrifying-1 hr...

I have McAfee now and i dont know if its really too good-or it doesnt detect viruses at all;coz after i installed it and the McAfee personal Firewall-i just remember having 2 viruses-which it detected of course :p

But if u have dial-up it rocks-coz the updates are soooo fast!!

mAYHEM

Journeyman
Kaspersky and Panda Titanium.NAV 2005 deleted my cr**ks which have norton in their name. :lol: In summary it showed hacking tools..deleted.

G

gxsaurav

All I can say about kesperesky that it made me reinstall Winodws,

I also tried NAV2005, it's as fast as NAV2004, I disabled the internet worm protection cos Sygate is better then that, & it eats a lot of RAM (5 mb), I usually disable my NAV when I m not using net, cos then virus can't come to my system

I have removed NAV 2005 & Back to NAV2004, reason, internet worm protection is the only thing notable new, the interface & UI doesn't means a lot, as I never ssee it on my system. & I disable IWM, without that it's simpley NAV2004 + A new look, so if U have NAV2004 with a firewall software, then going for NAV2005 is useless

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Guess, no one is going to listen what a penguin is saying.... Life is not so difficult friends.... When i was last infected by a virus attack, i completely stopped using crappy virus infested software....

ps: I was infected by VBS.Redlof.A ... i'd created a removal tool myself... anyone wants it ? .... You'll get source code of it also....

VD17

Journeyman
NIS [Norton Internet Security] 2003 here....
never had any problems and doesnt slow my system THAT much...

G

gxsaurav

Although NAV 2004 Pro is eating 18 MB at my system out of 512 MB, but it's not slowing my system, I could'nt find any performance increse in 3D rendering or Gaming with NAV disabled & removed from the task list

demoninside

In the zone
Hey prob isn't about system performence when it's 512mb RAM
but the user on 128 or 256 +(worst of all) on dial up then i don't think NAV is good idea
and on opensystem means linux
it's good for working onbut couldn't cofigure my internal modem for even once so for net got to use Windows

snehal_prabhu

Broken In
i believe there is no need for any present day antivirus softwares.as they are useless and do the work by detecting the virus creating panic in your brains ,eating ur system resources but fail to repair it

whats the useeee!!!!!1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom