Search for a serious NAV alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

[deXter]

Journeyman
Yep. Stopped using A/V software myself too. Im just too much into virtualization these days that it seems pointless to use an a/v software.. (although I do use a firewall)

Its sad that I finally failed the need to use NAV and McAfee.. Duing the DOS days - couldnt have survived without them.

There was this brand new a/v program called as eXtendia AVK pro. This a/v used 2 scanning engies- Kaspersky and RAV. The results apparently were so good that it beat each and every a/v in ALL the tests (thanks to the dual scanning engine). According to one of the tests, the program used extremly (I mean extremly ) less resources (ram/cpu). It detected ALL the virii (compressed/multi levels) in just a few seconds, no false detects, and daily updated defs, plus it was so fast and so good that it was literally unbelieveable. I was convinced too, so I decided to give it a try. Catch was that the trial version couldnt be updated, so I couldnt check for its effectiveness. And when I went onto the site, it looked as if the manufacturers were only interested in getting ppl to BUY the program (no proper links to try the program). Plus they were offering the program at an extremly less price. But if their program was that good, why didnt they mention some of those amazing results on their own site (those tests were carried out by some third party groups/teams). Not only that, the website also mentions nowhere that its buying site has been securely signed (no verisign)- How can I trust my credit card info to some highly suspicious company? I knew it was too good to be true, so I moved on...

--

I would recommend Kaspersky, but if you want a commercial alternative, then go for Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 9. Its basically meant for networks/networked comps, but its damn good for home PCs, as its fast, and uses very less resources.

Wildstyle

Broken In
GNUrag: You LinuGeeks rule and we'll all be getting into the realm eventually but most have to stick to Windows for the sake of habit. For now. Well done in creating the Redlof removal tool, a rather simple concept actually and it was time someone executed it.

I use NAV 2004 (used 2003 earlier but upgraded hoping to get a better handling of worms). The case is there aren't too many virus occurrences, but I am paranoid and would rather forsake some performance in exchange for peace of mind. Before NAV, I was a dedicated and loyal user of F-secure, which I think is one of the best antiviruses out there. There was a time when F-secure (then known as F-prot) ruled the DOS world and helped clean my system of the classic 'wild' viruses in India like Die Hard 2. They also have the most elaborate (and even interesting) encyclopaedia on all viruses ever written.

AVG is supposed to be very good, but I dropped it when one day I discovered that my system had MS Blaster but even with the latest updates, it had failed to notice any suspicious activities. Right now it's NAV for me.

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
Agree with Dexter.... We'r running Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 9 in our hostel network... and it works fine...

G

gxsaurav

Well, if U think on Dial Up NAV 2k4 or 2k5 is bad then don't use Mcafee, it's even worse on dial up

OP
mariner_5147

mariner_5147

Broken In
McAfee is considered bad because of its update problems. Otherwise its virus scanner is a good one , at least better than NAV.

After going through this thread and seaching for info in other forums and test sites, I have decided to try Kaspersky Personal Pro, then Symntec Corp. and then Mcafee virusscan Enterprise and may be F-Secure too (just need to get my hand on a full working version). Hope i will find the alternative I was looking for.

BTW @ Indyan: I am not very sure about MKS_Vir and Extendia. Very few sites actually tested them and on others, they are ranked very low( e.g virus.gr).

Anyway thanks to all the people for your valued inputs.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Oh my gawd. !!!!! I never knew so many Antivirus products ever existed !!!! I'd heard about norton, mcafee and avg only till now....

Wildstyle

Broken In
I have been a NAV loyalist for the past 2-3 years but I think I'll go give Kaspersky a try. I knew it was good but I was feeling lazy about the migration.

theraven

Technomancer
yes u will ..
zonealarm security suite antivirus is not that good ..
infact it pretty much sux
its a good backup to have ard thats for sure. .
i just made a shift to kaspersky from that crappy NAV myself. ...
finally got tired of the slow system and activation headaches ...
and i use the zone alarm virus too in the background
u need a good strong front AV first. .. not even AVG cuts it anymore

OP
mariner_5147

mariner_5147

Broken In
Tell me guys if i can have more than one av program loaded. i hav problem with having NAV and Mcafee or other combinations. Can anyone tell me some safe and easy combinations. Of course i will use only one for online scanning and the other for manual scanning.
thanks

G

gxsaurav

mariner it is not recomended to use two antivirus at one time,

All the antivirus products have better enigne & rock solid engine, they all do the work weather it is NAV , kesperesky or Mcafee, it's just the users choice what he is comfortable with

NAV has long histry so it has become the standerd of Antivirus, even Kasperesky made me reinstall Windows, but I don't think it is bad, I mean Indyan is using it fine, besides they know NAV is already domination the market, so their product is if bad then it will be only 10% bad then NAV2005, which they will eventually catch in software level, but they need to do a lot of work when it comes to reputation

G

gxsaurav

Hey, everybody I got an idea, Y not everyone writes here, the antivirus they are using, with the names of the services it is running & the RAM each service is using in task manager like this

I M Using NA 2004 Pro, made non Pro so I m running these services

ccapp.exe = 10752 KB
ccevtmgr.exe = 1936 KB
ccsetmgr.exe 3436 KB
NAVAPSVC.exe = 908 KB
symlcsvc.exe = 766 KB

I m not using the norton protected recycle bin things, so I don't have Nprotect.exe running, also I have disabled real time archive scan savscan.exe, cos archive untill extracted don't cause any harm, & if I dwonload or bring archive from somewhere I simply right click on it & Scan, I also don't need password protection, no Symantec password protection service is also off

I M getting no slowdown on my PC with 512 MB RAM, I disable the antivirus when I m not using the internet, it just frees RAM nothing else, no performance CPU wise is incresed, but again even if it is running I get about 345 MB RAM free all the time

This process will clear the confusion of resources usage with each antivirus, now we can find easily how much RAM each Anti virus is using & based on that we can made decision on which antivirus to go for.

If U guys remember I gave a link to 491 Viruses zip file somewhere in the forum, they are real life viruses, so don't extract the zip, U can also check that thread to find how much effective a particular Antivirus as we already posted there with the screenshot

saROMan

QA Juggler
i have tryed ....NAV ,Mcafee , AVG, KasperSky, quick heal , Panda , eScan , etc .........i belive that Kaspersky is my choice .........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom