Say bye bye to privacy: Facebook Home

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
well, TBH, the first time i read the header, i read: Say bye bye to piracy
and i was... sad. :(

then i reread Privacy, and i was, wtf, so what? :D

Vignesh B

Youngling
Facebook Home doesn't use location in any way that's different from the Facebook app you already have on your Android phone.

Like other parts of Facebook, Home collects information when you interact with the service, such as liking or commenting on a post or sending a message. Home also may collect other information about how you use it. For example, Facebook maintains a list of the apps that you have in the Home app launcher. We store this information in identifiable form for 90 days and use it to provide the service and improve how it works.

Q: Can I turn off location services altogether?

A: Yes, just as with any other app, you can control the location permission in your phone's settings.

Its a known thing that facebook and privacy are as far apart as the earth and the sky. But I don't think that Facebook home is changing anything. You can always tweak the settings to your privacy taste.
Disclaimer : Anything posted online is never private.
Personally, I don't think home will suit me. Facebook's marketing shows beautiful images in its ad of Home. As a normal user of FB, I won't be surprised to find cat pics, some random suicidal posts on my home screen. The lock screen is the first and the last thing that I see in a day. And I don't want to spoil my mood on that.,

pratyush997

Inactive
In a single word - HTC first is for Facebook-addicts.
lol? It's just a Android smartphone (runs on stock android) and got a launcher called "Facebook Home" pre-installed! That's it.

Just in case! *forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2232212

Flash

Lost in speed
lol? It's just a Android smartphone (runs on stock android) and got a launcher called "Facebook Home" pre-installed! That's it.

Just in case! [APP]Facebook Home 1.0[TUTORIAL][ROOT/NON ROOT] - xda-developers

In a single word - HTC first is for Facebook-addicts.
Facebook Home: Perfect for addicts, possibly a hindrance for light users - NY Daily News

theterminator

Wise Old Owl
Its a desperate attempt by fb to be active in the market place. Teens in the US are already switching from fb to snapchat nd others.
I also agree with above embers that they should improved the existing app.

sameer.pur

The Chosen One
Seriously, I don't understand the privacy skepticism.

All points I read so far about GPS tracking and habit-based info. gathering can already be done by any other app. (FB app in the case).

So if you mean that FB Home can in any way gather more info. about yourself than a FB App, you are mistaken.

I am a Mobile App Developer (mostly Android and some iOS) and I do this for living. And in my understanding, I don't know any difference between a Launcher App and a normal App which allows a developer to gather some more private information.

I am not saying that FB Home is not a privacy concern. My point is - Using FB App on phone is also same.

quagmire

Allllright !
Ignore your dull family, says new Facebook Home ad

You know those self-centered, self-regarding people who just have to look at their cell phones during dinner?
Facebook loves them. Facebook admires them. Facebook wants to promote them.
This thrust toward spiritual progress is the company's latest ad for Facebook Home, its attempt to turn your Android into something from Redmond.
In one recent ad, we saw Mark Zuckerberg's loyal troops ignore his dull corporate ra-ra in favor of a screeching goat.
Now, we can see a young woman ignoring her family.

Oh, all families are awful, aren't they?
They insist on imposing emotional control upon you. They tell you what to do, what to think, what to believe, and which lover to toss down the chute of despair.
And what do you get in return?
Food, that's what.
Yet Facebook wants you to believe that your Facebook friends are your real family. Yes, those people whom you hardly talk to, hardly remember, or hardly even know.
Don't listen to your mom, dad, aunts or uncles. Their pain is just a pain. Instead, swipe through Facebook Home and see which friends are attending the ballet.
Those friends who are not at the ballet are having snowball fights. You see, that's what life's really about, not communing with your kin.
Many will find it deeply refreshing that tomorrow's world power is revealing its priorities.
Let your mom feed you. But then sustain yourself with your marvelous Facebook friends.

- Cnet

-Source

OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan
^^ Wow. Just wow. I'd expect them to show FB home as useful for getting instant updates whenever you open up your mobile when alone/commuting/before you go to bed etc. but not this.

Flash

Lost in speed
Soon, we will have "Facebook S*x"

- Place your facebook-home enabled phone in a corner of your bedroom.
- Let your friends know what you're doing currently and get liked.
- Let our geo-targeted marketers, recommend products for you.
- Get featured in "Sponsored stories" freely, with a favorite position of yours.
- Be open. What are you waiting for?

They just use USERS as a input parameters for a PROFITABLE PROCESS.
Why the hell one wants to share everything on facebook? They're just pushy..

sachiv

Broken In
I don't understand when face book will start work on simple, granular and easy to understand privacy and data collection policies? I am looking for a place where we need to be private.

Top Bottom