Samsung expected to sue Apple over iPhone 5

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Late last month in a California court, Samsung was ordered to pay Apple over $1 billion as part of a patent lawsuit in which an American jury concluded the Korean company copied the American company, news which Apple CEO Tim Cook was quite pleased about. Given Apple co-founder Steve Jobs’ comments on Android before his passing, he probably would have been delighted too. His counterpart, who is still alive, isn’t.

In fact, Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak hates the result, doesn’t agree with it, and thinks it will be overruled. Samsung will of course appeal, and this case will go back and forth for months still, but Wozniak just wishes everyone could get along.

“I hate it,” Wozniak told Bloomberg in Shanghai today, referring to the patent battle. “I don’t think the decision of California will hold. And I don’t agree with it — very small things I don’t really call that innovative. I wish everybody would just agree to exchange all the patents and everybody can build the best forms they want to use everybody’s technologies.”

The famous engineer also had some comments about the just-announced iPhone 5, although he hasn’t bought one yet and is waiting till he plays with it before giving his opinion and before he compares it to the competition. Wozniak does have one hope though: that the new iPhone 5 will take better photos than its Android counterparts: “A better quality on the pictures will mean a lot, because when I show people pictures on my iPhone 4 and my Galaxy S III, they always say the Galaxy S III, or even the Motorola Razr, pictures look better.”

Even if it does, I’m sure the Galaxy S IV will top it, and the cycle will continue.

Apple Co-founder Steve Wozniak Hates The Samsung Patent Verdict

Sarath

iDota
I think Sammy is upset that the iPhone 5 is not a very radical design. Just an elongated iphone 4s. Times are tough for Sammy.

lovedonator

Ambassador of Buzz
Apple Co-founder Steve Wozniak Hates The Samsung Patent Verdict

I've kept an eye on Wozniak for the last few years and he is a true tech geek and a very nice man. He went and used a Lumia 800 on it's launch and wholeheartedly praised it and he has always been against the stupid things these companies do to survive. I read Steve Jobs biography by Walter Issacson and no doubt he was a remarkable man but he is more popular because he was a show man and had amazing marketing skills. Wozniak on the other hand does not bother with spotlight but is as brilliant as Jobs if not more.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not entirely OT, the other side of Google:-

Acer cancels Alibaba smartphone due to Google threat by VR-Zone.com

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin

Dafuq did I just read!?

If Samsung can make its own Windows phones or Bada phones, why can't Acer make a phone with their own OS?

I've kept an eye on Wozniak for the last few years and he is a true tech geek and a very nice man. He went and used a Lumia 800 on it's launch and wholeheartedly praised it and he has always been against the stupid things these companies do to survive. I read Steve Jobs biography by Walter Issacson and no doubt he was a remarkable man but he is more popular because he was a show man and had amazing marketing skills. Wozniak on the other hand does not bother with spotlight but is as brilliant as Jobs if not more.

Is there any blog or twitter by Steve Wozniak? I would like to follow him :D

amjath

Human Spambot
Dafuq did I just read!?

If Samsung can make its own Windows phones or Bada phones, why can't Acer make a phone with their own OS?

Is there any blog or twitter by Steve Wozniak? I would like to follow him :D

I say its a pure marketing by acer. They did some stupid things before too.
*m.techradar.com/news/mobile-comput...oft-to-think-twice-over-surface-plans-1091337

Follow Steve Wozniak: twitter.com/stevewoz

lywyre

Cyborg Agent

Acer is a member of OHA and as such they should not involve in another fork of Android, but are free to release any other competing OS (windows, symbian etc). What Acer was about to release was a twisted version of Android (by Alibaba) which leads to fragmentation of Android.

Amazon also released Kindle with forks of Android, but they are not members of OHA.

amalasarin

Right off the assembly line
Hey a good read for this topic:

The smartphone comparison - iPhone 5 does not set new standards: iPhone 5 vs. Samsung Galaxy S3: Will new Apple iPhone 5 features be able to win? - Jacksonville Gadgets | Examiner.com

amjath

Human Spambot
2 million iPhone preorder in 20 days everyone are carrier bounded phones (locked to carrier) I think is it?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
oh more of this lol. yeah most of the 2 mil are tied in with offers.

apple didnt have to do anything new, it didnt have to set any new standards they could have just written 5 on the box instead of 4S, and it would still be a legendary device
now the new standard is a loss at the lower end of the spectrum - because this is how ecosystems work... for lower end devices, you can expect the existing lineup of sub 15K iOS and Droids to stop supporting more and more apps and games now - in any case they stopped being efficient because of the software bloat for higher powered devices (read latest iOS SoC). This is one way how the 5 release directly affects droids.
it's very tough to make any money in the app store for iOS, forget about any other "competition"

don't see anyone saying sammy is being greedy now, how come diff logic applies to diff companies

Top Bottom