Safe to buy DSLR from Paytm ?

CRACING

Journeyman
I have attached scanned image of Nikon ad from recently news paper (Vijayavani, Karnataka).

Prices given are MRP for body and kits. Does that mean authorized stores sell at MRP or less? If less then it should be atleast 10% discount to match online stores. I don't think they give so much.

Anyway, see those two prime lenses offer. "Just pay Rs. 10,990 & get one additional lens". Ok fine but see the condition for the offer, "Offer valid with xyz kits only". That means we cannot buy only the lens for that price, even after paying extra then online stores! These same lenses cost atleast 500 less in online stores without any offers (bank, coupons, cashbacks).

Next, 64GB High Speed SD card free, but only for D750 and D810. Worth Rs. 7,700! WOW, that is the cost of 250GB SSD!

Finally all prices are limited period offers so hurry! :laughing_NF:

This is nothing but daylight robbery. Its good that we have knowledge and internet to know the fact but I feel sorry for those who have limited knowledge and get cheated from these local sellers.

Since local stores are losing business after online stores getting popular, Nikon and may be Canon also wants to save them by publishing warnings like e-retailers are not our authorized partners/dealers so don't buy from them. Even though the product is legit and TAX/VAT paid.

I can hardly see any authorized partners/dealers in online stores or if any, have listed products for very high price. I have also seen some stores listed as authorized dealers in Nikon website but are actually photo studios or have limited and old stocks. Especially in small towns and cities.

Attachments

• Nikon_DSLR_Ad.jpg
    Nikon_DSLR_Ad.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 140

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Canon is giving 3% off from MRP from official site. Local store may likely to give up to 6-7% off from the MRP.

It's not day light robbery. The cost of running a store higher than the cost of storing the cameras in a godown and ship when someone buys online. Plus there would be 100 more reasons which we don't know...

CRACING

Journeyman
The cost of running a store higher than the cost of storing the cameras in a godown and ship when someone buys online.

I agree with you but sellers get atleast 10% profit even after giving their best price. Good thing is we get hands on experience with product and we don't mind paying extra but it shouldn't be very high.

Online stores give atleast 10% off on MRP plus 10% bank offers. So from the buyers point of view, purchasing from local stores doesn't feel worth.

Plus there would be 100 more reasons which we don't know...

Another reason could be, not all sellers in online stores are authorized but atleast the main sellers like Cloudtail, WS Retail and etc should have assigned as authorized.

By this, other companies also learn and start to decline e-retailers. Laptops, TVs, Mobiles and etc.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Sooner or later there won't be this much price gap or no price gap at all. Now banks and online retailers are promoting their apps, online banking. When they are done, we won't be seeing this much % off of MRP.

Yeah, already there are other companies too suggest us to buy from their dealers.

sujoyp

Grand Master
I dont know what you guys are talking...I got all new D7000, 55-200, 3100+kit, monopod from physical shop and that guy simply gave me 15% discount on MRP without any bargaining.
Similarly in case of mobiles too I am getting cheaper rates in physical shop then flipkart amazon

And Nikon is really serious about authorized dealers...and it really wont give warranty if not bought from any of them...its strictly implemented in USA...so now bargain deals have reduced in USA considerably :(

nac

Aspiring Novelist
I dont know what you guys are talking...I got all new D7000, 55-200, 3100+kit, monopod from physical shop and that guy simply gave me 15% discount on MRP without any bargaining.
Similarly in case of mobiles too I am getting cheaper rates in physical shop then flipkart amazon
But it's not the case with small towns. SX130's MRP was 10995/- when I was buying, the best deal I could find in the local stores was 10200/- It was same for some other cameras as well. Some months back there was this new shop, was just checking the price of 1200D with 18-55. It got price tag of 31995/-, there was no discount at all. :( So for many of us online deals are enticing esp. when coupled with bank/app deals.

I haven't seen any mid range and higher models (70D/D7100 and higher) physically in local stores. All they have are D3xxx/D5xxx and 1200D/7xxD (only exception is Canon, recently they opened their own store and they have got FF models)

sujoyp

Grand Master
hmm sad to hear..but in real shop have the flexibility to give discount upto 15% without any issue

CRACING

Journeyman
[MENTION=125321]nac[/MENTION]

Yes thats the problem in most of small towns/cities.

Less discount over MRP - Especially authorized dealers. 3rd party dealers give for lesser price.
Old stocks - May be its not a problem in most products but in camera and lens latest is better.
Limited stocks - If the seller has single piece of a model and it turns out to be faulty, then you have to wait until he gets new piece or go for different model.

Next week on Flipkart's Big Shopping Day I wanted buy 35mm 1.8G lens but due to this warranty dilemma, I had to let it go. Instead I'm looking for used one but its hard to find then 50mm 1.8G.

kool

Cyborg Agent
guys,

I am looking for Nikon D5200 from long time on onliine site, unfortunately only "snapdeal" and "paytm" is shipping to my address (PATNA). So right now i am getting Nikon D5200 (with AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55 mm F/3.5-5.6G VR II Lens) for Rs.26k after cashback and Nikon D5200 (with AF-S 18 - 55 mm VR Kit + AF-S DX NIKKOR 35 mm f/1.8G Lens) for Rs.34k after cashback.

So,
Should I buy this model with kit lens 18-55mm only or with additional 35mm lens ? If I buy 35mm lens later it would cost me Rs.10k. Is Rs.34k good deal with additional lens ? Or should I buy later ?

By the way, I am new to DSLR cameras, after doing lots of research online i have shortlisted Nikon D5200 and 35mm prime lens. So kindly hep me to choose what would be best for me ? I m buying from CAMCAT seller, and this seller is from PATNA :winking_NF:

Online Mobile Recharge - Postpaid, DTH & Datacard Bill Payments at Paytm.co

Online Mobile Recharge - Postpaid, DTH & Datacard Bill Payments at Paytm.co

@ujoyp

Last edited:

CRACING

Journeyman
guys,

I am looking for Nikon D5200 from long time on onliine site, unfortunately only "snapdeal" and "paytm" is shipping to my address (PATNA). So right now i am getting Nikon D5200 (with AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55 mm F/3.5-5.6G VR II Lens) for Rs.26k after cashback and Nikon D5200 (with AF-S 18 - 55 mm VR Kit + AF-S DX NIKKOR 35 mm f/1.8G Lens) for Rs.34k after cashback.

So,
Should I buy this model with kit lens 18-55mm only or with additional 35mm lens ? If I buy 35mm lens later it would cost me Rs.10k. Is Rs.34k good deal with additional lens ? Or should I buy later ?

By the way, I am new to DSLR cameras, after doing lots of research online i have shortlisted Nikon D5200 and 35mm prime lens. So kindly hep me to choose what would be best for me ? I m buying from CAMCAT seller, and this seller is from PATNA :winking_NF:

@ujoyp
Hello,

Nikon D5200 is a perfect choice. Comes with all essential options (unlike D3XXX that lacks some important) and easy on pocket then D7xxx.

A starter who doesn't have any lenses, should be going for Body+18+55mm. Next comes 55-200mm or 55-300mm.

35mm F1.8 is a good lens for a 3rd choice but alternative is 50mm F1.8 so you have decide which fulfills your requirements. I don't know if you have experience with focal lengths but if you don't then I would suggest you to get 18-55mm now and in that lens see which focal length suits you, 35mm or 50mm. Also dual lens kit that includes 35mm lens doesn't look like a best offer to me. 35mm costs 10k if you buy the lens alone and now I see DL retail seller giving for it for 8.8k (20% cashback).

Now to buy camera and lenses, first choice would be local stores because you can be very sure about warranty. As per Nikon India website, there are so many dealers in Patna. You can call and ask for prices. Choice whoever gives best price, even if they quote 1-2k more then online stores.

Ok let me tell you about sellers in online stores:

Paytm - 99.9% sellers do not give invoice of them or of their shop but Paytm generates it for us, with the info provided by seller to Paytm in the time of registration and phone number will be of Paytm and not sellers. I doubt this info is verified by Paytm (May be only those sellers tagged as authorized). i.e Shop name, Address, Tin no., Pan no. Hence we cannot be sure whether the invoice is valid or invalid. Another problem is, sellers do not put their seal on warranty card.

Since from few days, Paytm's Android app is showing address of sellers. I researched some sellers addresses in Google to verify them but I couldn't find proper info of most sellers. Only those that sell products for high price. i.e CAMARENA

CAMCAT is from Patna but his shop is not listed in Nikon India website. Also we cannot be sure about the name "CAMCAT" is the actual name of the shop so you may receive invoice with different seller/shop name.

Ebay - Sent message to many sellers to ask whether they are authorized Nikon dealers and their actual shop name. None gave me shop names but said they are sub dealers and assured me there won't be any warranty issues. Well how can we be sure!

Amazon, Flipkart, Snapdeal are just like Paytm. Invoice is generated by the websites with the info provided by seller. There might be no issues with seller name and address but the name of online stores is the problem. Service centers may refuse to take warranty claims when they see "Amazon, Flipkart, Snapdeal, Paytm" written in the invoice.

Finally its you to decide whether you care about warranty or not. Nikon, Canon and etc make solid products and they less likely cause issues.

I'm thinking to buy 35mm F1.8 lens since long time. In my city only one shop is authorized Nikon dealer and he quotes me 16.5k for the lens. That is MRP price and even if I negotiate, he would reduce 1k max, At-least costing 5k more then online stores so it isn't a fair price. Now I have decide to go for online store, DL retail in Paytm. He is authorized Nikon dealer and actual shop name is Surana Traders located in Pune (Address is correctly mentioned in Google, Nikon India website and Paytm). He is also making personal online store website named MerchantStatus and I guess its long form of DL retail.

Thanks...
Best Regards

sujoyp

Grand Master
I agree to what CRACING said ...dont rush to buy a 35mm right now...I bought it used for 6k and it looks as good as new :D you too can go to same path afterwards

Get a body+kit now..play with it..then see what restricts you..and what u love most ...if its zoo, flowers, birds then its 55-200 or 55-300 or 70-300 as per your budget...if you love to take family shots more and indoor most times then investing in a simple flash is the next thing...if you crave for blur bg in portraits and wants to take artistic shots then comes 50 and 35mm...lastly if you tried all cheap ideas for macro and want a good macro lens then get 90mm

long way to go bro...first start :)

also see that you get from authorized dealer...I buy all new item from local shops and used from jjmehta forum.

kool

Cyborg Agent
Hello,

Nikon D5200 is a perfect choice. Comes with all essential options (unlike D3XXX that lacks some important) and easy on pocket then D7xxx.

A starter who doesn't have any lenses, should be going for Body+18+55mm. Next comes 55-200mm or 55-300mm.

35mm F1.8 is a good lens for a 3rd choice but alternative is 50mm F1.8 so you have decide which fulfills your requirements. I don't know if you have experience with focal lengths but if you don't then I would suggest you to get 18-55mm now and in that lens see which focal length suits you, 35mm or 50mm. Also dual lens kit that includes 35mm lens doesn't look like a best offer to me. 35mm costs 10k if you buy the lens alone and now I see DL retail seller giving for it for 8.8k (20% cashback).

Now to buy camera and lenses, first choice would be local stores because you can be very sure about warranty. As per Nikon India website, there are so many dealers in Patna. You can call and ask for prices. Choice whoever gives best price, even if they quote 1-2k more then online stores.

Ok let me tell you about sellers in online stores:

Paytm - 99.9% sellers do not give invoice of them or of their shop but Paytm generates it for us, with the info provided by seller to Paytm in the time of registration and phone number will be of Paytm and not sellers. I doubt this info is verified by Paytm (May be only those sellers tagged as authorized). i.e Shop name, Address, Tin no., Pan no. Hence we cannot be sure whether the invoice is valid or invalid. Another problem is, sellers do not put their seal on warranty card.

Since from few days, Paytm's Android app is showing address of sellers. I researched some sellers addresses in Google to verify them but I couldn't find proper info of most sellers. Only those that sell products for high price. i.e CAMARENA

CAMCAT is from Patna but his shop is not listed in Nikon India website. Also we cannot be sure about the name "CAMCAT" is the actual name of the shop so you may receive invoice with different seller/shop name.

Ebay - Sent message to many sellers to ask whether they are authorized Nikon dealers and their actual shop name. None gave me shop names but said they are sub dealers and assured me there won't be any warranty issues. Well how can we be sure!

Amazon, Flipkart, Snapdeal are just like Paytm. Invoice is generated by the websites with the info provided by seller. There might be no issues with seller name and address but the name of online stores is the problem. Service centers may refuse to take warranty claims when they see "Amazon, Flipkart, Snapdeal, Paytm" written in the invoice.

Finally its you to decide whether you care about warranty or not. Nikon, Canon and etc make solid products and they less likely cause issues.

I'm thinking to buy 35mm F1.8 lens since long time. In my city only one shop is authorized Nikon dealer and he quotes me 16.5k for the lens. That is MRP price and even if I negotiate, he would reduce 1k max, At-least costing 5k more then online stores so it isn't a fair price. Now I have decide to go for online store, DL retail in Paytm. He is authorized Nikon dealer and actual shop name is Surana Traders located in Pune (Address is correctly mentioned in Google, Nikon India website and Paytm). He is also making personal online store website named MerchantStatus and I guess its long form of DL retail.

Thanks...
Best Regards

Thank u so much for your valuable input here, today i went to CAMCAT shop (address given on PAYTM ) and its a nice big exclusive showroom of CANON by name of "CAPITAL PHOTO, Patna" authorized dealer of CANON brand. He doesnt sell NIKON cameras in showroom, i asked how u r selling NIKON series theu paytm ? He replied Nikon products are in godown and they give proper invoice by name of "CAPITAL PHOTO". But on NIKON site there is no name of such shop. :(

And i enquired about D5200 in more than 8 shops in patna, and minimum price they are offering Rs.29k. So its better I buy from online at Rs.26k. By the way today i saw, Amazon CLOUDTAIL seller is now shipping to PATNA at Rs.27k. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I agree to what CRACING said ...dont rush to buy a 35mm right now...I bought it used for 6k and it looks as good as new :D you too can go to same path afterwards

Get a body+kit now..play with it..then see what restricts you..and what u love most ...if its zoo, flowers, birds then its 55-200 or 55-300 or 70-300 as per your budget...if you love to take family shots more and indoor most times then investing in a simple flash is the next thing...if you crave for blur bg in portraits and wants to take artistic shots then comes 50 and 35mm...lastly if you tried all cheap ideas for macro and want a good macro lens then get 90mm

long way to go bro...first start :)

also see that you get from authorized dealer...I buy all new item from local shops and used from jjmehta forum.

I am not interested in bird, zoo photography. I love to click closeup, people faces, blurred background, bookah affect, low light photography etc.

something like this :::

*aflenses.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/8475980364_0a92b727df_o.jpg
*cdn.photographylife.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Nikon-35mm-f1.8G-Sample-Image-1-960x639.jpg

--------------------------------------

Guys , have u read this :) :::

Nikon, Flipkart's case over warranties resolved

PTI | Aug 27, 2015, 06.48 PM IST

BENGALURU: Japanese camera-maker Nikon has informed the Karnataka High Court that it has withdrawn the names of Flipkart, Snapdeal and other e-commerce portals from a notice on its website that cautioned customers to check warranty entitlements while buying its products from them.
Following the submission by Nikon India, Justice B S Patil disposed of a petition by Flipkart against the caution notice.
As the hearing resumed, the judge sought the opinion of Nikon as to whether they were ready to withdraw the names of the portals from the notice.
In response, the defense counsel said "the company's website has already withdrawn the names of Flipkart and other e-commerce portals from the caution notice hosted on its website."
Seeking the opinion of petitioner Flipkart, Justice Patil asked whether it was content with the Nikon's submissions.
Flipkart counsel said "if the defendant has already withdrawn the names, we don't have any difficulties with that," following which the Judge said the "case doesn't stand merit for further legal battle" and disposed it of.
Justice Patil had suggested Nikon to withdraw the names of Flipkart and Snapdeal from a caution notice so as to avoid prolonged legal battle.

source:: Nikon, Flipkart's case over warranties resolved - Times of Indi

Attachments

• Nikon-35mm-f1.8G-Sample-Image-1-960x639.jpg
    Nikon-35mm-f1.8G-Sample-Image-1-960x639.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 138

CRACING

Journeyman
Thank u so much for your valuable input here, today i went to CAMCAT shop (address given on PAYTM ) and its a nice big exclusive showroom of CANON by name of "CAPITAL PHOTO, Patna" authorized dealer of CANON brand. He doesnt sell NIKON cameras in showroom, i asked how u r selling NIKON series theu paytm ? He replied Nikon products are in godown and they give proper invoice by name of "CAPITAL PHOTO". But on NIKON site there is no name of such shop. :(

And i enquired about D5200 in more than 8 shops in patna, and minimum price they are offering Rs.29k. So its better I buy from online at Rs.26k. By the way today i saw, Amazon CLOUDTAIL seller is now shipping to PATNA at Rs.27k. :)

If any one of 8 shops are authorized then I think its good to paying 3k more for piece of mind warranty. Try to negotiate more and they may reduce to some extent or ask for freebies.

I bought my D3200 kit from Cloudtail for 19k. Only faced delay in dispatch but he sends good products (No issues like old, lack of freshness, damaged box, broken seal) and I trust the seller but I doubt my camera is valid for warranty.

I am not interested in bird, zoo photography. I love to click closeup, people faces, blurred background, bookah affect, low light photography etc.

Such photos can be taken with 50mm because its made for your requirements.

35mm is good for streets, indoors, tight spots, full portraits, travel shots, landscapes, cars, buildings, products and etc. You can get closeup and people face shots but you need to go very close (Checkout min focus distance too). Also Bokeh will not be as good as 50mm.

Guys , have u read this :::

Nikon, Flipkart's case over warranties resolved

PTI | Aug 27, 2015, 06.48 PM IST

BENGALURU: Japanese camera-maker Nikon has informed the Karnataka High Court that it has withdrawn the names of Flipkart, Snapdeal and other e-commerce portals from a notice on its website that cautioned customers to check warranty entitlements while buying its products from them.
Following the submission by Nikon India, Justice B S Patil disposed of a petition by Flipkart against the caution notice.
As the hearing resumed, the judge sought the opinion of Nikon as to whether they were ready to withdraw the names of the portals from the notice.
In response, the defense counsel said "the company's website has already withdrawn the names of Flipkart and other e-commerce portals from the caution notice hosted on its website."
Seeking the opinion of petitioner Flipkart, Justice Patil asked whether it was content with the Nikon's submissions.
Flipkart counsel said "if the defendant has already withdrawn the names, we don't have any difficulties with that," following which the Judge said the "case doesn't stand merit for further legal battle" and disposed it of.
Justice Patil had suggested Nikon to withdraw the names of Flipkart and Snapdeal from a caution notice so as to avoid prolonged legal battle.

Yes but its not clear. Nikon did remove the names but warning is still present. Check out the news paper scanned copy I have attached in my previous post.

Do one thing, call authorized service center in your city and ask them about products purchased in online stores (eg. Amazon's Cloudtail) and if they are ok with it then you are good to go. :smile_NF:

kool

Cyborg Agent
I also went to NIKON service centre and they said.. warranty doesnt covers on accessories if i buy from online.

sujoyp

Grand Master
those kind of pics can be taken with 35 as well as 50mm ...actually I have both :D but I am not sure if newbie can handle that big aperture from start as it produces really soft pics if not used correctly...improper focus, soft pics, too much expectation with low light pics are major issues

kool

Cyborg Agent
those kind of pics can be taken with 35 as well as 50mm ...actually I have both :D but I am not sure if newbie can handle that big aperture from start as it produces really soft pics if not used correctly...improper focus, soft pics, too much expectation with low light pics are major issues
wow, u have both lenses. So which one is good ?

same discussion is going on here... and most of people are suggesting 35mm.

*www.quora.com/Which-prime-lens-35mm-or-50mm-should-I-get-for-my-Nikon-D5200

sujoyp

Grand Master
yup I too will suggest 35mm ...its the right angle of view for cropped sensor dslr like mine and urs. 50mm is like 85mm on our cam and its just too tight..you cant even take a pic of two person togather. 35mm also produces nice bokeh..will post a sample although I have not taken many artistic with that

CRACING

Journeyman
I also went to NIKON service centre and they said.. warranty doesnt covers on accessories if i buy from online.

Accessories are not at all covered by warranty, even if you buy locally. Checkout warranty policy on Nikon India website. It says warranty does not apply to "Accessories, including batteries and AC adaptor, and other consumables.".

Anyway, its good to hear that they accept warranty claims for products bought online. I think you can go ahead and buy from Amazon now. :)

wow, u have both lenses. So which one is good ?

same discussion is going on here... and most of people are suggesting 35mm.

*www.quora.com/Which-prime-lens-35mm-or-50mm-should-I-get-for-my-Nikon-D5200

He also has Tammy 17-50 f2.8 for versatile photography in low light. Lenses are personal choice and one cannot assume its goodness or badness till he tries it.

35mm is good choice and it helps to take different kind of pictures. However, its better to check the same focal length in 18-55mm to see if it suits your needs.

Incase you don't like fixed focal length then you can go for 17-55mm

[MENTION=39722]sujoyp[/MENTION]

How is Tamron XR Di II SP AF 17-50mm F 2.8 ?

I see one used lens listed in ebay.in for 11.5k. Seller says its is excellent condition. I will contact him for warranty details.

Now I'm thinking whether it would be better to go for it then Nikon's 35mm. What I have found is, at f2.8 35mm lens takes sharp pictures and Tammy 17-50mm takes sharp pictures at f5.6. That means I need 2 stops more light for 17-50mm. If I choice this then I'll have to sell kit lens since this would replace it. Lacking VR wouldn't be a problem I hope. Please input your views on Tammy 17-50mm.

Last edited:

HTBR

Broken In

something like this :::

*aflenses.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/8475980364_0a92b727df_o.jpg
*cdn.photographylife.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Nikon-35mm-f1.8G-Sample-Image-1-960x639.jpg

SIGMA 18-35mm 1.8 and you are set for the rest of your life :grin_NF: What a brilliant lens :smug_NF:

Just like you i also prefer close up portraits with a normal lens (FOV 35mm on a full frame) unless the lens is the 135mm F2 which is one of my favourite lens. I also like the Sigma 28mm 1.8 but it has some nervous bokeh issues.

sujoyp

Grand Master
[MENTION=322858]CRACING[/MENTION] ..I bought 17-50 2.8 to replace my 18-55 ...and initially thought the same that I would take advantage of big aperture in low light.. but to tell you the truth 17-50 cant be compared to a 35mm prime ....they are wayyy different.

17-50 2.8 is a versatile lens...you can take it to party and take group pics as well as portraits ..but what 35mm prime can produce is much better
35mm will be sharp even at f2 or f2.8 and its low light performance is unbeatable..
17-50 is a compromise ..at f2.8 its not sharp enough for portraits ...but yes it can take nice wide landscapes...and bigg group photos with 10 people standing side by side :D which 35mm cant

18-55 is a very simple lens and its just good for a start ...but remember 18-55 have VR so you can shoot even at 1/15 shutter speed without issue...17-50 dont have VR and you have to keep the shutter speed to at least 1/30 all the time to hand hold.

Now its upto you...what you want.

Top Bottom