Right PSU & RAM for a Core i7

Raziel

Journeyman
Hii,
Can someone suggest me a suitable and less expensive PSU and 8GB RAM (4x2) for this PC Config ?

Core i7 2600K,
GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3,
500GB HDD, 9600GT

Thanks in advance! :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
FSP Saga II 500W or Corsair CX430v2 @ ~2.3k

Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600Mhz @ ~3.6k or G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9S-2x4GBRL @ 3.6k - they are most suitable components I can think for the config you have ;-)

sukesh1090

Adam young
+1 topgear.i think better to go with corsair one if he is not using any big after market cooler.
@Raziel
which cooler you are using?

saswat23

Human Spambot
But 1st of all post your full config and Budget. May be your config require more power than this.
Though topgear has suggested the cheapest and very good combo, but still to get better suggestion post your full config and budget.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
But 1st of all post your full config and Budget. May be your config require more power than this.
Though topgear has suggested the cheapest and very good combo, but still to get better suggestion post your full config and budget.

It's more or less given. ;)

Hii,
Can someone suggest me a suitable and less expensive PSU and 8GB RAM (4x2) for this PC Config ?

Core i7 2600K,
500GB HDD, 9600GT

Thanks in advance! :)

OP
Raziel

Raziel

Journeyman
@Topgear: Thank you for the nice selection!
Actually I was upgrading from an old Pentium D 820 processor and mobo to the new i7 2600K for graphics intensive works, and I saw I had to change almost everything including the PSU. I'm in a tight budget too.

@sukesh1090: I'm having the intel stock cooler..I'm not sure if it's enough if I wanna overclock up to a 4.5Ghz

Processor: Core i7 2600K,
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68MA-D2H-B3,
Hitachi 500GB SATA
XFX 9600GT
Sony DVD Writer
22" Samsung TFT

I have a Mercury Elite 650 PRO UPS. Will that be enough for this PC ? I need just 5 mins backup.

Thanks everyone!:D

OP
Raziel

Raziel

Journeyman
@topgear: Thank you for the nice selection! :)

@sukesh1090: I'm planning to use the intel stock cooler came with the i7. Will that be enough if I wanna overclock up to a 4.5Ghz ?

Well, actually I was upgrading from my old Pentium D 820 to the new i7 2600k for graphics intensive works. I didn't know I had to change the PSU too.

Config is pretty much the same. A normal PSU will be enough for my usage.

Core i7 2600K,
500GB HDD
XFX 9600GT
Sony DVD Writer
22" Samsung TFT

Also I have a Mercury Elite 650 Pro UPS. Will this be enough for this PC ? I need just 5 mins backup.

Thanks everyone! :)

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ For graphics intensive works you need a good and powerful gpu as well and not only a powerful cpu.

Mention the kind of apps you'll be running.

OP
Raziel

Raziel

Journeyman
Thanks Vickybat.
I will be using 3ds Max & Photoshop mostly. Yea I'd like to have a gpu as well, but a less expensive Quadro FX is what I'm looking for.

sukesh1090

Adam young
i doubt that you will be able to overclock with the stock cooler.people facing difficulty in running 2600k with stock cooler even in normal stock speed.you can find these threads in hardware Q&A or cpu and mobo section.

Cilus

laborare est orare
The stock cooler provided with Intel Sandybridge CPUs are actually crap. In Indian condition they are even not enough to run a 2600K in stock speed. And for 4.5 GHz, you definitely need a good aftermarket cooler. Opt for Cooler Master N620, priced @ 2.5 to reach 4 GHz or above.

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ Its not enough for 4.5 GHz overclock. In fact Corsair V series liquid cooling solutions are better for over 4 GHz.

OP
Raziel

Raziel

Journeyman
Thanks Cilus for the suggestion. It's true that the intel cooler is not enough for overclocking needs. I will get a Coolermaster!

Now I'm only worried about the Mercury Elite 650 Pro UPS. Will it be enough for the PC ?

Thanks to all for the great help! :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Its not enough for 4.5 GHz overclock. In fact Corsair V series liquid cooling solutions are better for over 4 GHz.

Air cooling solutions are safe to use when it comes to cpu coolers ;-)

Thanks Cilus for the suggestion. It's true that the intel cooler is not enough for overclocking needs. I will get a Coolermaster!

Now I'm only worried about the Mercury Elite 650 Pro UPS. Will it be enough for the PC ?

Thanks to all for the great help! :)

That UPS will be enough for now.

Get CM V6GT around ~3.8k - it's an awesome cooler IMO ;-)

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!

Correct, but liquid cooling kit can ruin whole motherboard and gfx card (in worst case ram, hdd etc.) in case of accident.

Saw one of these type of issues at hardforum.

Cilus

laborare est orare
I think you guys are getting me wrong. What I was trying to say that for 4 GHz+ overclocking higher middle end coolers are required...not any specific cooler type. The Water cooler suggestion is just an example...CM V6GT is sufficient for 4 GHz+

Top Bottom