Revival of the Dead (P4 System)

the_conqueror

Ambassador of Buzz
Efficiency is actually the ratio between the output power to the input power of a psu. Consider a 500w psu having an efficiency of 50%. It actually draws 1000w of ac power from mains and the remaining 500w is wasted in form of heat and other forms of energy. But the same psu having an efficiency of 80% will draw 625w of power from mains and thus only 125w is wasted and thus reducing electricity bills greatly.

Higher efficiency means less power is wasted. I hope this explains everything.

I knew that already bro. Was explaining to OP that he was misunderstanding the term 'efficiency'. I was posting from mobile, so it was difficult to type it all.

OP
CyberKID

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
80% efficiency doesn't mean that a 500 W psu will give 400 W. Efficiency is a different thing.

Yes. I'm sorry that I misunderstood the 80% efficiency factor. It's described in terms of energy efficiency. But, still that figure is somewhat relevant as most good PSU's offer between 80 to 90% Efficiency on Load, which in real terms denotes the real power capacity of the PSU.

OP
CyberKID

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Guys have ordered the MSI G41M-P26 Motherboard from Flipkart @ Rs. 2518.
Will go searching for the Seasonic S12II-520 PSU & Kingston DDR3 RAM sticks locally from Nehru Place. The prices of the RAM sticks have a difference of about Rs. 100 each for 4GB (DDR3 - 1333) sticks for both Kingston and Corsair ones. Expecting to pay far less for the PSU (if I'm able to find one locally). Most stores there, for I don't know what reason do not stock branded PSU's and insist you to buy an unbranded one.:lol:

AVT

Clueless Noob
Guys have ordered the MSI G41M-P26 Motherboard from Flipkart @ Rs. 2518.
Will go searching for the Seasonic S12II-520 PSU & Kingston DDR3 RAM sticks locally from Nehru Place. The prices of the RAM sticks have a difference of about Rs. 100 each for 4GB (DDR3 - 1333) sticks for both Kingston and Corsair ones. Expecting to pay far less for the PSU (if I'm able to find one locally). Most stores there, for I don't know what reason do not stock branded PSU's and insist you to buy an unbranded one.:lol:

Please do mention the price of Seasonic S12II-520 PSU if you do end up getting it in Nehru Place.

OP
CyberKID

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
FINALLY! Got my dead system up and running.
After some serious research on the internet and some valuable suggestions from TDF members, was able to collect all the correct bits and pieces.

Got the MSI G41M-P26 Motherboard from Flipkart @ 2518, Corsair VS450, 450 PSU & Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333 Mhz RAM from Computer Empire, Nehru Place @ 2300 & 1300 respectively.

Please do mention the price of Seasonic S12II-520 PSU if you do end up getting it in Nehru Place.

I'm sorry buddy, wasn't able to find the Seasonic S12II-520 PSU in Nehru place. Those whom I thought, were leaders in trading computer components have again disappointed me (talking about Cost to Cost and Computer Empire). people at both the shops haven't heard of Seasonic (as what I could make out from their expression after hearing the name). The guy at Cost to Cost was very gladly selling me GSM 500 watt PSU saying they don't have any other branded PSU.

Anyhow, my system is up and running and many thanks to TDF members, esp. dashing.sujay for his valuable suggestions.:-D

AVT

Clueless Noob
I'm sorry buddy, wasn't able to find the Seasonic S12II-520 PSU in Nehru place. Those whom I thought, were leaders in trading computer components have again disappointed me (talking about Cost to Cost and Computer Empire). people at both the shops haven't heard of Seasonic (as what I could make out from their expression after hearing the name). The guy at Cost to Cost was very gladly selling me GSM 500 watt PSU saying they don't have any other branded PSU.

Thanks dude. Looks likes I'll have to go to another shop then. But from what I saw online Seasonic is hard to get at NP (also NXZT cabinets, wonder why is that ?)

GSM 500 watt PSU ? Man, those guys know their stuff. :-D

Best of luck with you jugaru build. I wish I was so adventurous but will be going for a new build in future.

Last edited:
OP
CyberKID

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Yeah, got it all right.
Yes, you're right. we have no other option but to go shopping online for such tech stuff. Holy s**t just a few days back, I saw the Seasonic S12-II 520 watt PSU at around Rs 3790 at theitdepot.com Seasonic 520W Power Supply, now it's 4305 + 154 shipping. I'd suggest you go to flipkart.com Seasonic S12II-520 520 Watts PSU. They have reduced the price by Rs. 78; earlier it was 4050. that's the best option I've found online. Offline, it's pathetic out there (GSM 500 WTF).

Last edited:

AVT

Clueless Noob
Check the costtocost price list. It is advertising SMPS CORRSAIR 450 WATT for Rs. 1990 and NVIDIEA 430 4GB DDR3 for Rs. 4490. :twisted:

Wonder how many people they dupe everyday. And technically you can't fault them as you should know the correct spelling of Corsair and Nvidia.

As a prospective 1st time builder this cools off my enthusiasm for shopping for parts at Nehru place as I m sure these guys can make mincemeat out of noobs like me.

AVT

Clueless Noob
^^ About PSU it must be Corsair VS450.

My bad. Mybe I m too suspicious. But sometimes it pays to heed to Luke Cage's philosphy:" just assume everyone's a piece of crap and then be pleasantly surprised if you find anyone who ain't."

OP
CyberKID

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Check the costtocost price list. It is advertising SMPS CORRSAIR 450 WATT for Rs. 1990 and NVIDIEA 430 4GB DDR3 for Rs. 4490. :twisted:

Wonder how many people they dupe everyday. And technically you can't fault them as you should know the correct spelling of Corsair and Nvidia.

As a prospective 1st time builder this cools off my enthusiasm for shopping for parts at Nehru place as I m sure these guys can make mincemeat out of noobs like me.

This seems like they had some typos (which are featured regularly in their price lists). It's not likely that they are duping people into buying fake products. When I inquired about the Corsair VS450 (asking for corsair 450 watt PSU) the reply was a no. Moreover, since we are getting bill with every purchase, it's rather rare for someone to cheat you.
You can visit Nehru Place (with confidence) and visit reputed stores like Cost to Cost and Computer Empire (can't say about others), but the only thing is, whatever you want to purchase, just go there with good amount of knowledge about that product or atleast your requirements.

OP
CyberKID

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
A little Update.....

After putting in extensive research online, followed by some shopping, both online as well as offline, I finally upgraded my whole system except the Processor, the HDD's, the ODD and the cabinet.

What I got for it were:
1. The much needed motherboard - MSI G41M-P26 for Rs. 2518 from Flipkart
2. Since the motherboard supported DDR3 RAM, I had to change it too. Got a Kingston Value RAM 4GB (1333 Mhz) for Rs. 1300
3. The cause of all this - the PSU had also to be changed. So I got a Corsair VS 450 for Rs. 2300.
4. Got a Cooler Master CPU cooler from Flipkart for 281 alongwith the motherboard. But, its cooling was not so good, and moreover, it had just a 3 pin connector as against the 4 pin connector on my stock cooler, which helped in adjusting the Cooler Fan RPM when the CPU temperature rose above a limit (60 degrees in my case). One fine sunday, thought to swap the internal coil and circuitry of my older CPU cooler (whose one of the fan blades broke and was fixed by me using feviquick) with the one in the new one. In this process, I just got both the CPU coolers non functional. Though, I was somewhat successful in getting it done, but, then the resulting cooler didn't rotate when my cabinet stood upright. So, finally thought of changing the CPU cooler again. This time, I again searched online and offline, and finally ordered Cooler Master TX3 EVO from Flipkart for Rs. 1411.
5. My CRT monitor has also aged and had become a hub of problems. SO, I changed it too with an AOC 2243Fw2k LED backlit LCD monitor for Rs. 8610 from Cost to Cost, Nehru Place.

Long story short... So, in the last 1-1.5 months, I've spent around 16.5K to revive my 7 year old Pentium 4 machine, that too with most of the components, future proof, which can be used again when I'll be upgrading in a year or so.

OP
CyberKID

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Guys, I need a basic Graphics card within 3.5K. Since, I'm not into serious gaming, and moreover, I don't find any time to do that on the PC (my Core i5 based laptop does the occasional thing), I'd like to invite suggestions for a basic graphics card. Also, please note that, my mobo MSI G41M-P26 has PCIe x16 v1.0 slot, which could possibly cause compatibility issues with the latest graphics cards (though most of articles online on sites like toms hardware (forum)etc, suggest otherwise). Also, referred to the Graphics Card Heirarchy on Tom's Hardware for the Best Bang for the Buck.
My research suggested a few:

NVIDIA GeForce Cards
  • GeForce GT210 - will be too basic.
  • GeForce GT 520 - considerable
  • GeForce GT 620 - considerable

AMD/ATI Radeon
  • AMD Radeon 5450 - Not considerable as there's 6450
  • AMD Radeon 6450 - considerable

The thing I'm considering for this upgrade is that I wouldn't be involved in serious gaming, and considering this upgrade to ease off load on the IGP (GMA X4500) + Processor (Pentium 4 - 2.93 - OC'd to 3.5GHz) -which itself is too aged.

Suggestions....

saswat23

Human Spambot
See if you can get HD 5570 or GT-240 1GB DDR3 for 3.2k. Far better choice than those you have mentioned.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
If you are open in buying 2n hand cards, then you can find some good deals in 3.5K. Otherwise, 5570 would be the best card <3.5K range.

OP
CyberKID

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Thanks @ saswat23, d6bmg. I should add 5570 to the list.
@ saswat GT 240 is a DX10 based card. Why should one consider it if one could get a DX11 based card in the same price?

saswat23

Human Spambot
Even then performance of both is almost equal.
Get the one which you find coz finding any of these is hard now.

OP
CyberKID

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Yes, that's true and is evident from the Tom's Hardware GPU Heirarchy. BTW, 5570 is available at FK for ~3600

Top Bottom