Revival of the Dead (P4 System)

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Hello Guys, Greetings!
I have a six year old desktop at home, which died a few days back (Oh! sorry to say before completing its 7th year). The Configuration was:
Motherboard: MSI 915GLM-V
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 EE (516 or 517) with HT
RAM: 1.5 GB DDR 400
HDD: 580 GB (80 GB WD IDE - Which houses my OS'es + 500 GB Seagate SATA II which has everything containing my Program Files, Software backups, Movie & Music Backups etc...)
PSU: 450 Watt Zebronics (which I swapped for the stock 250 Watt PSU at the time of purchasing)

Now the issue is that I want to revive my PC. As far as I've understood, the culprit behind the death of my PC is the PSU (as it killed another motherboard I connected to it). After days of searching for a compatible motherboard, I came across the Intel 965 chipset based motherboards, which were the last chipset supporting the Pentium 4 processors (I found this out at intel's website in compatible products list of the Pentium 4 517 processor's support page Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 517 supporting HT Technology (1M Cache, 2.93 GHz, 533 MHz FSB). But when I searched the Wikipedia's page of Intel Chipsets (It didn't list Pentium 4 supported by Intel 965 chipset.
Now I'm totally confused, whether I should go on searching the Motherboard Intel 965 chipset based or should consider Intel 945 based Mobo's. It is evident that both are not readily available, but I'll still try as I feel that there's enough firepower still left in my proccy (which is an Intel Extreme Edition processor, thus capable of being overclocked upto 3.6 Ghz). I'll need to buy the DDR2 RAM modules also, as my current DDR1 modules are not compatible with my system.
Although I intended to eventually upgrade my system in a few months to an core i7 based one, but didn't expect to do it so soon. In order to keep things going, I'd like to revive this one for now. As of now I intend to make a sustainable purchase decision, which will be helpful in my future planned upgrade (the current SATA II HDD and the new PSU which I'll need to purchase will be used in the new system).
I'd like help from the forum members to please suggest whether I should go in for the 965 based Chipset (if any one is using such a config). I'm expecting to spend anywhere between 8 to 10K (for the Mobo, DDR-2 Ram and the PSU. Please guys don't suggest me to save for the planned upgrade (as I'm planning to do the upgrade early 2013). and need something till then.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Go for a G41 based mobo, it will support your P4.

And go through this one *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/power-sup...89-power-supply-blacklist-thread-newbies.html

OP
CyberKID

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Go for a G41 based mobo, it will support your P4.

And go through this one *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/power-sup...89-power-supply-blacklist-thread-newbies.html

Thanks for the suggestion, dashing.sujay. I too was just browsing Flipkart after visiting MSI website, which suggests that their G41 series of mobo's are compatible with my processor, and with the added advantage of the support for DDR3 RAM's. But I'm still confused, as the Intel site does not show the G41 platform supported for my processor.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
It will support, I have self purchased MSI G41 P26 board and coupled it with a P4 processor. But your processor won't support DDR3 RAM. You will have to stick with DDR2.

OP
CyberKID

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
It will support, I have self purchased MSI G41 P26 board and coupled it with a P4 processor. But your processor won't support DDR3 RAM. You will have to stick with DDR2.

.... and here comes the problem. The MSI G41M-P26 motherboard supports just DDR3.:shock:

I've just got it confirmed it's the Intel Pentium4 516 processor.

Last edited:
OP
CyberKID

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Intel_P4_516_MB_Support_List | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
*www.flickr.com/photos/63248744@N03/7168829219/lightbox
I don't know why this image is not being shown.
List of MSI motherboards which support my processor (Intel P-IV 516)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I had P4 630. Don't worry, whatever LGA775 it is, it will support.

And use this link *farm8.staticflickr.com/7103/7168829219_8692cb547c_b.jpg (for above pic) in
tags to add iamges.

OP
CyberKID

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
I had P4 630. Don't worry, whatever LGA775 it is, it will support.

And use this link *farm8.staticflickr.com/7103/7168829219_8692cb547c_b.jpg (for above pic) in
tags to add iamges.

Thanks for help Sujoy.

Guys! Your suggestions on this please.
For the Above discussed Processor (Intel Pentium IV 516 ~2933Mhz, 1 MB L2 Cache)
I've zeroed in at:
MOTHERBOARD: MSI G41M-P26 from Flipkart @ 2518
PSU: Corsair CMPSU-500CXV2UK 500 Watts from Flipkart @ 3611 or otherwise will check locally @ Nehru Place | Changing the PSU to Seasonic 520W Power Supply (S12II-520) for just about 300 bucks more from theitdepot.com, as suggested by dashing.sujay.
RAM: 4GB Kingston DDR3 from CosttoCost @ 1266 + taxes
Thus from future upgradability point of view, I'll just be wasting Rs. 2518 for the motherboard. All other things will possibly be used up in the new system.

Last edited:
OP
CyberKID

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Instead of buying a new motherboard, better use the opportunity to upgrade the whole rig to a modern day entry level machine.

Thanks for the suggestion. But can't do that. I've planned for a high end system in near future (I'm a bit of performance freak), moreover I don't have the funds for the whole system overhaul as of now. Only the processor I've planned will cost double the whole cost of this upgrade.

Thanks for the suggestion. But can't do that. I've planned for a high end system in near future (I'm a bit of performance freak), moreover I don't have the funds for the whole system overhaul as of now. Only the processor I've planned will cost double the whole cost of this upgrade.

If you intend to upgrade in the near future, a better option is to go second hand.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Also tell that the PSU which you are buying now is for current system or new system ? If for new, what probable config you're gonna buy?

OP
CyberKID

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
If you intend to upgrade in the near future, a better option is to go second hand.

Yes indeed it seems to be a better option, but we have no guarantees in second hand. Also, I have a bitter experience with second hand electronics & mechanicals, so as a rule of thumb, I go with newer ones only.

OP
CyberKID

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
Also tell that the PSU which you are buying now is for current system or new system ? If for new, what probable config you're gonna buy?

I thought of buying this PSU thinking I might not have to purchase a new one.
Thinking of an overclockable Intel Core series processor from the Ivybridge stable, which will be the mainstream by that time and pretty affordable too. With a decent graphics card (As I'm not too much involved in gaming). Will be using two hard disks (and the third one if my IDE HDD lives on and the new system supports IDE.
I used the Recommended Power Supply Wattage Calculator available on the Asus Website *support.asus.com/powersupply.aspx?SLanguage=en, seems like the 500 watts is insufficient for the future upgrade(given that this one has an efficiency of 80% thus will be capable of giving around 400 watts) . I might consider converting this machine into a media server/download rig.

Last edited:

the_conqueror

Ambassador of Buzz
I thought of buying this PSU thinking I might not have to purchase a new one.
Thinking of an overclockable Intel Core series processor from the Ivybridge stable, which will be the mainstream by that time and pretty affordable too. With a decent graphics card (As I'm not too much involved in gaming). Will be using two hard disks (and the third one if my IDE HDD lives on and the new system supports IDE.
I used the Recommended Power Supply Wattage Calculator available on the Asus Website ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Recommended Power Supply Wattage Calculator, seems like the 500 watts is insufficient for the future upgrade(given that this one has an efficiency of 80% thus will be capable of giving around 400 watts) . I might consider converting this machine into a media server/download rig.

80% efficiency doesn't mean that a 500 W psu will give 400 W. Efficiency is a different thing.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
80% efficiency doesn't mean that a 500 W psu will give 400 W. Efficiency is a different thing.

Efficiency is actually the ratio between the output power to the input power of a psu. Consider a 500w psu having an efficiency of 50%. It actually draws 1000w of ac power from mains and the remaining 500w is wasted in form of heat and other forms of energy. But the same psu having an efficiency of 80% will draw 625w of power from mains and thus only 125w is wasted and thus reducing electricity bills greatly.

Higher efficiency means less power is wasted. I hope this explains everything.

Last edited:
Top Bottom