Review : Samsung Galaxy R I9103

PurusH

The LeO
MHL adapter doesn't work with SGR(checked by some xda members)...... but it does support the USB-OTG feature
i'm gonna try tht soon......

@ ofabhishek: I bought SGR on 31/12 based on your review/recommendations & thanks for the same. It is a wonderful phone, Im just loving it. I bought OTG cable for Rs.250/- SP Road, Bangalore and it is working fine. Connected 4gb pendrive with songs and movies and we can watch movies on the go......... nice feature. :grin:

Tried connecting OTG cable for my cousin's SGS plus, it did not work:shock:

Hi,

Good to note that you are happy with the performance of you SGR. How do you compare it with S Plus ?

Im proud owner of SGR for just 12 days, it is very quick in processing as it has dual core. My cousing has S Plus and hence below are few noticed things.
Display: S plus has 4" AMOLED display, colours are bright, good visibility in sun light, comsumes less battery, so longer battery life. SPlus has gorilla display, strong and scrach resistant. SGR has 4.2" SLCD which is bright and equally comparable display quality. SGR does not has gorilla display.

CPU: S plus has 1.4GHz Qualcomm chipset but has 512 RAM, GPU:Andreno. SGR is Dual Core 1Ghz Nvidia Tegra chipset, good for gaming has 1GB RAM. GPU:Geforce. Both are 2GB ROM and 8GB internal storage.

Camera: Both are 5MP 720p video, but SGR has flash. Surprised SPlus has no flash.

Others: Both plays all type of media files. S plus is lighter in weight with all plastic, SGR bit heavy with all pastic, but behind looks like brushed alluminum cover with up market feel. SRG shape is very similar to SG II. S Plus has TV out, SGR does not have, but can connect to TV if TV has DLNA. Also, SGR can be connected to pendrive with OTG cable and watch movies on pendrive. You cannot connect pendrive to S Plus.

Hope this helps you to go for SGR

Sirji,

If i update to ICS as (samsung has announced) then will still be left with 3.75 GB of internal memory?

and

If i get to use so less memory then i guess i wont be able to play any HD games coz those games are almost 4 GB in size?

Should i go in for SGR ??

I donot know how much ICS will eat memory, but for HD Games, you can download it on SD card, Get a 16gb card. Also, SGR can be connected to USB pendrives also via OTG cable.
I recommend to go for SGR, if you have 7K more, then go for SG2:youwish:

R2K

In the Zone
@ ofabhishek: SPlus has gorilla display, strong and scrach resistant. SGR has 4.2" SLCD which is bright and equally comparable display quality. SGR does not has gorilla display.

No gorilla glass display ? ....So its not scratch resistant?*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_cry.gif

PurusH

The LeO
No gorilla glass display ? ....So its not scratch resistant?*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_cry.gif

Galary R does not come with Gorilla Display..... It is not tough as Gorilla Display and I do not know whether it will resist minor scratches. Im planning for a screen guard

amit3987

Broken In
@ galaxy r users : what is the battery life that you getting from the Galaxy R when connected via 2G/3G and when not ??

I kinda seem to get very less battery (on an average 8 hrs when connected via 2G and about 9-10 hrs when checking mails intermittently) while doing the normal tasks like call/checking mails/ music(maybe for an hour).I have the display set to just above min. brightness but still feel the battery life is somehow less. Also, another thing I noted was that I usually saw a drop of 30% battery level during the night(1-8 my sleeping time) when there is minimal to no calls as well no 2G connections.

Just wanted to know if other users too facing the same battery life or am i the unlucky one :-|

OP
ofabhishek

ofabhishek

║ Green World ║

it has some scratch resistant display instead of gorilla glass, although its not mentioned on samsung india site...
but its better to get it protected with screenguard..

abhi0270

Right off the assembly line
I am looking for some queries regarding the SGR features. Could somebody confirm/deny/answer these
--> At many owebsites the phone has been shown as only 3G(EDGE) enabled and not 3.5 G(HSDPA) which means slower browsing/download speeds when using 3G.(EDGE is an older technology as compared to HSDPA/HSPA)
-> HD Recording available is only 720p
--> This phone has serious battery Issues

Can anybody help me whether the above facts are true or not?

PurusH

The LeO
@ galaxy r users : what is the battery life that you getting from the Galaxy R when connected via 2G/3G and when not ??

I kinda seem to get very less battery (on an average 8 hrs when connected via 2G and about 9-10 hrs when checking mails intermittently) while doing the normal tasks like call/checking mails/ music(maybe for an hour).I have the display set to just above min. brightness but still feel the battery life is somehow less. Also, another thing I noted was that I usually saw a drop of 30% battery level during the night(1-8 my sleeping time) when there is minimal to no calls as well no 2G connections.

Just wanted to know if other users too facing the same battery life or am i the unlucky one :-|

Good Battery backup on Android phones is a Dream, however on SGR, it seems battery backup is a bit low on moderate usage also.

I do set brightness just above min, have daily calls (2G) on an avg 1-1.5 hrs, internet/emails/FB app (2G) 20-30 minitues, maps 10minutes. Music very little. For all the above usage, I get battery goes down from 100% to 20% in 12-14 hrs, so every day morning and night, I do charge battery. But its ok to compromise on battery for such a great phone for the price of just 21K. SGS2 has AMOLED display which mininimes the power consumption to great extent.

Tips: The white & blue screen display consumes more battery. So better to have green or orange coloured wallpapers, also when you stop activities on your mobile, just click on/off button to close the display.
Also, turn off the vibrator which is power hungry.
Close the background data to off as internet will be active even if you donot use (settings>accounts & sync> background data> off. Try disconnecting data network mode at Off, whenever you use mobile for internet, turn it on. deep press on/off side button>datanetwork mode>press to off or on.
Make a habit to listen music from earphones which is crystal clear and also reduces battery consumption by external speakers.
3G mode consumes lot of battery. If you have 3G, turn on to 3G mode only for videos calls and internet usage. For daily emails, read in 2G mode only as GPRS/EDGE if enought for emails.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mine is just a week older. Currently on 2G. Except battery life there's little to complain. Yet to experience any lag.

mitraark

Decrepit
Mine is just a week older. Currently on 2G. Except battery life there's little to complain. Yet to experience any lag.

Did you buy online or from a Shop ? Street PRice ? [ Sorry for asking and even more so if you;ve already mentioned it previously but i'm on a very slow connection right now :( \]

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Online from Letsbuy @ 21k minus some cashback. Local shops were asking 3-4k more. :(

colin

Have you tried installing games from the market which run only on Tegra2 devices or any other high end big game. Because these games
(specially gameloft) makes a directory in the phone memory..Some games require more da 1gb space(eg. back stab)..some require 500-700mb...So i needed to know if you are facing any problem installing such games in your phone as you hv only 2gb for the internal storage...

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have installed one, Real Racing. On running it says it will download another 600MB data. Yet to try out.

sumit269

Broken In
Would you recommend this over Sony Erricson xperia arc s which i am getting in the same price from ebay US ?? please reply asap as i have to order it by today if needed.

gmaravind

Hello, I would like to know about the audio quality when connected with headphones. I currently have an in-ear sennheiser headphones. Will that provide good quality. Also please mention what headphones u r using with it right now .. Thanks in advance :)

Top Bottom