Review : Samsung Galaxy R I9103

ofabhishek

║ Green World ║
I was looking for a fast,well capable phone having a large display covering almost every feature a smartphone can have. But i was not willing to spend more thn 20k on a phone.My requirements were atleast 1Ghz Procc, 512MB Ram, 4" display & all other usual things. I was considering Galaxy SL & Neo V(skipped O2x coz of smaller screen & less RAM thn SGR) but then price of Galaxy R dropped to 20k and i bought it.
*i40.tinypic.com/ws18k.jpg

Design - I love the design of SGR more thn other galaxy phones out there. Its looks so sleek & shiny from both front and backside. Its much slimmer thn i imagined by seeing its picture earlier on the net. It easily fits in my shirt's pocket although its a bit wider.

Package contents
- I got main set, 1650mah battery, charger, data cable, an earphone, a leather pouch (I really loved the pouch, need not to purchase other), No Kies CD(although it can be downloaded)

Memory shown - RAM - 724MB, System storage - 1.97GB, USB storage - 3.75GB(although its printed 8GB on the box... lots of space is system reserved), and a microSD card slot
*i44.tinypic.com/20z3ddy.jpg

Multimedia - It played every audio format it tried. But the stock video player failed to play some 720p video.. I tried flv,avi,mp4 format of different size & resolution. Later i installed Mobo Video Player, MX Video Player, Real player & some codecs with them which almost fulfilled my need. But still searching for a good video player app which can handle every format without any hitch.

Browsing - Browsing is a fun on SGR believe me. I never worried that i'm browsing on a mobile phone. It always felt that i'm on PC having a bit smaller screen. Opening webpages and switching between pages & sites is very convenient. It never lagged, crashed, hanged or whatever till now. (paisa vasool for me bcoz its one of my primary requirement). I tried stock browser as well as Dolphin HD, Opera & Skyfire. Opening multiple webpages doesn't make it operate slow.

Apps & Games - Till now i've installed more than 50 apps on my phone. It handles running multiple apps simultaneously without any lag. I not much into games so hvn't tried any of them yet.

Battery - With medium to heavy usage it easily lasts whole day while on 3G. I have to charge it daily(as in the case of maximum android phones). No complain.

Camera - This 5mp camera is sufficient for all casual needs. but i'm not satisfied with video recorded with it maybe i'm comparing it with my digital camera's video quality thts why.... Although it shoots nice quality pictures. Front camera is the added benefit.

Conclusion - I'm happy with the money i spent. it's totally worth.... Its the best one around 20k.
*i41.tinypic.com/11l7p91.jpg
*i44.tinypic.com/b7ng5k.jpg

If the fellow members have any doubt or query regarding this device which they think i can answer thn pls post them here. i'll be happy to help......

- Abhishek

Last edited:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice. Will get one next month. btw, how much internal memory it has? Flipkart's site shows 8gb.

reddead

LoSt!
what about hdmi connectivity?
are you facing any "deep sleep" problems as stated here *forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1385767

Last edited:
OP
ofabhishek

ofabhishek

║ Green World ║
Nice. Will get one next month. btw, how much internal memory it has? Flipkart's site shows 8gb.

Actually, its also mentioned over the box(8GB... as u can see in pic) but the actual memory available is
System memory - 2GB approx(for installing apps)
Inbuilt storage - 3.75 GB
& a microSD card slot which cn take upto 32GB
(see the pic in my first post)

what about hdmi connectivity?
are you facing any "deep sleep" problems as stated here [Q] Galaxy R I9103 Deep sleep problem!!! - xda-developers

No... no such 'deep sleep' problem... its working fine

---------

it doesn't have hdmi port... in my case not needed(as of now)

clmlbx

Technomancer
How is screen visibility under direct sunlight?

Are packaged earphones good or you are thinking of purchasing other..

How much ram is used by os? so how much ram is available with no apps(one yo installed) running

OP
ofabhishek

ofabhishek

║ Green World ║
How is screen visibility under direct sunlight?

Are packaged earphones good or you are thinking of purchasing other..

How much ram is used by os? so how much ram is available with no apps(one yo installed) running

Screen visibility under sunlight is very good (u'll have to increase brightness)

packaged earphones are decent but u may like to buy another pair depends on ur preference... it comes with three S,M &L eartips....

It shows total 724MB of RAM out of which 270-300MB always remains consumed(for background processes of various apps & OS itself)...
lots of RAM remains unused even after running few apps simultaneously

coolgame

Journeyman
how big is it when u hold it in your hand??? is it as big as the s2? can u put it in your pocket and roam around?also if u run only videos on it,how long does it last???can u take it and roam about in local trains???

amit3987

Broken In
how big is it when u hold it in your hand??? is it as big as the s2? can u put it in your pocket and roam around? can u take it and roam about in local trains???

Its similar in size to the Galaxy S2... Definitely can be carried around.. though you may have a look at it yourself b visiting a nearby mall :)

also if u run only videos on it,how long does it last???

not sure about the duration of video playback only... I was continously on Wi-fi along with calls and the usual stuff of music playback, downloading apps and it lasted me for a whole day on full charge with some 20% battery still remng.

P.S : Have been using Galaxy R for only a couple of days.. would be providing more feedback in a few days

nikhil.s.mw

Right off the assembly line
i want to buy a smartphone in the range of 20k to 22k,i'm really confused between optimus black and s.galaxy r.On reading reviews i found that sgr was not a success as not many people bought as the phone is not worth the price...and sgr does not have apps and games in the android market which can utilize its features like geforce graphics and the dual core processor....

please advise me on which phone should i go for....how abt sony ericsson
phones....

i can wait till the end of january 2012......

vips

Right off the assembly line
sulekha.com
giving it for 18989 after cash back

Samsung Galaxy R I9103 now just Rs. 20,489. - Sulekha Offers

is it safe to order from there ???

OP
ofabhishek

ofabhishek

║ Green World ║
Can u connect the phone to a tv by tv out or micro hdmi

havn't checked for whether i have the tv-out option or not... and there is no hdmi port in this phone

@ofabhishek
do they give the ICS updation..?

official ICS will come next year... maybe around the end of Q1

sulekha.com
giving it for 18989 after cash back

Samsung Galaxy R I9103 now just Rs. 20,489. - Sulekha Offers

is it safe to order from there ???

very good price... but can't assure you about safety with sulekha....
an Onine shopping thread is running here... visit there
u might get some help or feedback

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/internet-www/145536-online-shopping-guide-feedback-thread.html

Top Bottom