Recommend me a mobile

Which one will you go for?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Well guys after 3 long years I'm going to buy a new mobile...
So please come along and recommend me one.

Requirements in the mobile:-

-Touchscreen (if QWERTY keypad available, its added advantage). And good touchscreen. I've seen mobiles which responds very slow.
-Big display
-Stable OS (no hanging, crashing)
-Very good multimedia support
-Web support with full facility
-Connectivity, WiFi? Can I? I hope apart from Infra Red, each mobile provides everything else...
-Camera, no issues with its quality, but it should be there
-No CDMA (or operator locked)
-Good after sales support

Purpose:-

-Calling of course
-Movie watching (if supports divx encoding, very good)
-Songs (FLAC support ? CAn I wish plz)
-Internet. Planning to take 3G plan, so I need a mobile which shows me websites in full glory
-Battery life, lots of songs (50 every day), web browsing (total 1hr), video once in week may be, but while traveling at least 3hrs continuous.

Till now considered:-
(According to univercell )

Sony Xperia X10-30,962/-
HTC T8585 HD2-34,615/-
HTC A6262 Hero-22,212/-
Motorola Milestone-28,317/-

Please name any other mobile if I need to consider?

Thanks and Regards

sachitgul

Journeyman
waiting for the HTC Desire seems to be ur best bet...

Moto Milestone looks good but i checked the keyboard and its a lil to flat for my liking..

HTC HD2 is a Windows 6.5 based phone and since Windows 7 is on the horizon it would suggested that u steer away from it..

SE Xperia X10 im not a big fan of and IMHO its over-rated..

HTC Hero is a great phone but it seems u can afford the HTC Desire wen it will launch so waiting for it would be worthwhile..

OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
waiting for the HTC Desire seems to be ur best bet...

Moto Milestone looks good but i checked the keyboard and its a lil to flat for my liking..

HTC HD2 is a Windows 6.5 based phone and since Windows 7 is on the horizon it would suggested that u steer away from it..

SE Xperia X10 im not a big fan of and IMHO its over-rated..

HTC Hero is a great phone but it seems u can afford the HTC Desire wen it will launch so waiting for it would be worthwhile..
Thanks for your kind reply.
Actually I'm looking forward to buy it b4 5th May

So whichever is fitter before that day, I'm gonna buy it. No waiting.

webgenius

Ambassador of Buzz
I suggest that you consider X10 strongly. It has got Android 2.0. You can get lot of free apps on the Android marketplace. Believe me, it's your best bet.

F

FilledVoid

I suggest that you consider X10 strongly. It has got Android 2.0. You can get lot of free apps on the Android marketplace. Believe me, it's your best bet.
Today 11:44 PM

Huh? Xperia X10 has Android 2.0 ? I believe it is on Android 1.6 . Second of all , all Android Phones can get alot of Free Apps so thats hardly anything worthwhile to make a decision on. My beliefs about the X10 has always been clearly stated. If you are into the Scapes then yes probably the phone is for you. if you ask me the extra real estate on the phones screen is actually the critical success factor of the phone.

If you have a problem with outdated software then definitely there is no reason for you to go for the HD2 at all. I mean its priced more than each phone mentioned in the list. That said the phone isn't really bad per say. Theres a review or two on the forum itself.

Hero is definitely becoming more VFM each day. When I bought the Magic the Hero was being sold for like 32k. However with Desire on the horizon I would wait. Im 100% sure the prices of these phones are going to drop. I wouldn't make a purchase yet unless those prices made each of these phones more VFM.

As for Motorola Milestone well I don't really have anything against it but I would definitely not purchase it over a Desire if I had the option.

Considering that you posted phones which range upto 35k I would wait on the Desire and see what the price is going to be. Most likely its going to be within your budget and if its not the other phones are just going to get cheaper anyway.

Anyway you got a good month before the purchase so I would wait till the last few days before making a thorough choice.

Oh by the way. I believe you are a Photography hobbyist as well right? In that case from my knowledge the X10's camera is pretty neat. However I would have to go through the Specifications of everything to confirm.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
@FiledVoid, I also Like Milestone and the thing is that, HTC Hero is my love at first sight. HD2 and X10 are in the list due to popular choice and when I compared them in univercell.

When is desire coming out? With me if I wait, I don't know when I'm gonna buy it :rolleyes:

F

FilledVoid

@FiledVoid, I also Like Milestone and the thing is that, HTC Hero is my love at first sight. HD2 and X10 are in the list due to popular choice and when I compared them in univercell.
Don't get me wrong. Milestone is definitely one of the good phones out there. But when you spend a sick amount of money on a device you plan on using for as long as possible then you want to get a device which is going to be able to run for a long time down the road.

Look at the choices you have given. When it comes to hardware this is about a choice between the X10 and the Desire. I'm not really sure I want to go down this road again since we already have a thread comparing the X10 and a Milestone if I'm correct.

A summary between the two would be that the hardware is the same but the screen size isn't . But hold on , theres a catch, the Desire sports a AMOLED screen and I and most people would definitely sacrifice the real estate if the quality justifies it. Then there's a user interface which can only be judged by actual usage. Some people like it and some people don't . However if you we're to compare both User Experience vs htc Sense then there really isn't anything ground breaking. Yeah sure the Scapes might be nice but anyone who has used the htc Sense is likely to say that is a good interface to work on as well. The X10 does have a better camera for sure and this has been known to be one of htc's weaknesses as well.

When is desire coming out? With me if I wait, I don't know when I'm gonna buy it
Would you rather prefer spending a premium amount of money to buy a product which is outdated? I'm pretty sure you would not :) . Why not give a call to htc's customer support and clarify the release date. Or you could ask Kalpik hes been going gaa gaa about the phone ever since its press release.

By the way I have just got to ask. Not considering an iPhone?

OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
By the way I have just got to ask. Not considering an iPhone?

Just gone through HTC's site and watched Desire's video. I remember long back when Hero was launching, they had such attractive video of it too. Again, the h/e specs for Desire outclasses many (not X10 though)

Only advantage I get in Desire is Android 2.1 version, Then again don't know if it would come into my budget.

And, no, iPhone. I told you. No operator locking...

F

FilledVoid

Only advantage I get in Desire is Android 2.1 version, Then again don't know if it would come into my budget.
Well that really wouldn't be the only advantage but yes it would be a considerable one. You are bound to find better/more applications for a current version of Android then a prehistoric one.
And, no, iPhone. I told you. No operator locking...
Ah I see. I forgot that.

You seem to be one of the "Want the Truth Right Between the Eyes than having it sugar coated." So heres how I see it. Hardware is moot. I mean come on, seriously I'm willing to bet that 90% of folks don't use their phones in a way that would utilize 75% of the resources on it. Yeah great so you could install Android version 5.99. By then you might as well bury the phone you have and get another el cheapo one which performs 20 times better. If you ask me to make a choice I would go down to that store or friend who has the phone and get a hold of it and use it for myself and see if I love it. So take a trip to the store and post how you feel about those phones. of course you can;t compare the Desire yet but you could run a check on the other phones.

Last edited by a moderator:

sujoyp

Grand Master
^^^ yaah thats a good idea....that way u can decide for urself...and hardware and software version wont be much deciding factor:p

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Ahh.. think I should intervene here. I have been using the X10 for a week now. And by far its the best phone I have ever used. Brilliant screen, with unparalleled brightness. I actually keep down the brightness to "2" notches out of 10. The touchscreen is extremely fast and responsive. Sound quality is superb. Build quality is top notch. The camera takes some great pics with excellent color reproduction. And about Android 2.1, theres an Android 2.1 phone in the pipeline for summer.A vivaz styled walkman but with Android. The X10 should be updated by mid May or june. I dunno what the fuss is all about when SE themselves have taken responsibility of the update and have promised to provide them when th UI is ported to the latter version of Android.X10 is going to be SE's flagship for some time and they wont be screwing it up any time soon.

Any questions about the X10.Feel free to ask me.

OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
You seem to be one of the "Want the Truth Right Between the Eyes than having it sugar coated." So heres how I see it. Hardware is moot. I mean come on, seriously I'm willing to bet that 90% of folks don't use their phones in a way that would utilize 75% of the resources on it. Yeah great so you could install Android version 5.99. By then you might as well bury the phone you have and get another el cheapo one which performs 20 times better. If you ask me to make a choice I would go down to that store or friend who has the phone and get a hold of it and use it for myself and see if I love it. So take a trip to the store and post how you feel about those phones. of course you can;t compare the Desire yet but you could run a check on the other phones.

I'm also thinking about visiting a store to get a feel of all these. Let me check on that.

And, guys, Please don't limit your recommendations within the four I mentioned. Please consider my expectations and purpose from a phone that I've mentioned. I'm ready to buy any one if they satisfy those.

red dragon

Master troll
It seems like multimedia is the top priority.Why don`t you take a look at omnia hd?Yes symbian sucks on touch screen,but this phone is a multimedia beast.Not a single phone you mentioned will give you 3 hours of continuous video playback.If you are hell bent on android,go for milestone.HD2 is a great phone but it is not the best fit for your requirements,it is definitely the best for watching movies,but the battery wont last that long(in offline mode I could get 3.5hrs max),and regarding x10,do you really want to spend >30k for scapes and all those bells and whistles?If the screen is all that important, HD2 has it(much better than x10,matched them yesterday side by side)and who uses cell phone cam even for casual photography?

OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
It seems like multimedia is the top priority.Why don`t you take a look at omnia hd?
Its an year old device. Is it still good and take heat in future days? Because I'mm gonna keep this new mobile at least 2yrs.

Yes symbian sucks on touch screen,but this phone is a multimedia beast.
A lot reviews I'm getting that symbian sucks for Touchscreen. My main concern will be a classy device, which returns me my investment worth in every section (at least)

Not a single phone you mentioned will give you 3 hours of continuous video playback.
See, the reason that I'm preferring for multimedia playback is this will be a replacement for me for PMP. I'm not gonna buy a PMP just for listening songs and on-the-go movie exp. And then carry a bag for a mobile, a PMP, their headsets. Gosh!!!

I kinda have inclination to Android, as it has a open future, big developer community and all facilities for FOSS s/w

red dragon

Master troll
Its an year old device. Is it still good and take heat in future days? Because I'mm gonna keep this new mobile at least 2yrs.

A lot reviews I'm getting that symbian sucks for Touchscreen. My main concern will be a classy device, which returns me my investment worth in every section (at leas

See, the reason that I'm preferring for multimedia playback is this will be a replacement for me for PMP. I'm not gonna buy a PMP just for listening songs and on-the-go movie exp. And then carry a bag for a mobile, a PMP, their headsets. Gosh!!!
3GS is the only option.
I kinda have inclination to Android, as it has a open future, big developer community and all facilities for FOSS s/w
Yes big developer community and all,but tell me how many USEFUL apps are there compared to winmo?I could not even find a proper bug free media player,I have been fortunate enough to watch and compare movie playback in two android devices x10 and milestone,milestone has better s.q,but x10 has a larger screen,but the worst part is,you will need to convert the whole movie,which is very irritating and time consuming.Whereas in my hd2(with the dated and most hated o.s) I can even watch 720p rips with coreplayer

Last edited:
OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Yes big developer community and all,but tell me how many USEFUL apps are there compared to winmo?I could not even find a proper bug free media player,I have been fortunate enough to watch and compare movie playback in two android devices x10 and milestone,milestone has better s.q,but x10 has a larger screen,but the worst part is,you will need to convert the whole movie,which%2

Is your reply complete? what does that mean "which%2"

OP
rhitwick

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Well guys, had gone to market today to get a close view of those sets. But the bad luck is that not a single shop had a live model in display only demo ones. So, only thing I got is body feel. Nothing else.

Experia X10 min: 31K and Max 33K
HD2: Min 37K and Max 38K
Hero: Min 24K max 28K

Only one shop had Milestone that too in packed form not even demo. It was quoted as 29K.
Till now Milestone wins. Plus point for it is price and a physical qwerty keypad. Though HD2 screen is way bigger than anyone. Hero just looks a kid in front of these models.

No news on Desire launching though Mango store in Thane station told that HTC Legend is going to launch on next Monday.

Here, I'm thinking about Experia and Milestone (milestone wins till now)...

How's "Legend" ? Anyone?

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Desire will launch by end of may :( Of the phones mentioned above, yes, milestone is the winner :) Legend is also *really* good, but then its a smaller screen :(

Desire is available on ebay for 33k: *cgi.ebay.in/HTC-DESIRE-BOX-PACKED-...ItemQQptZIN_Mobile_Phones?hash=item4aa06cf88c

But it will be without warranty as its the imported UK version.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
@rhitwik- Are you in kolkata? If yes, then maybe we can plan a meet sometime and I can show you my X10. You can choose better then. If you check sites such as mobile-review or esato for reviews. I am sure you will have a better idea over whats conspiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom