Realtek driver mod and Creative X-FI with realtek chip

NOTE: this is not my discovery/creation and the complete credit goes to the original author: Gamespirit who can be reached via his Spanish blog Gamespirit

Introduction:

This tutorial describes how to unlock the onboard Realtek ALC chip's locked features and to use Creative X-FI MB software without a creative soundcard, with onboard Realtek audio chip.
These features include Dolby Advanced Audio v2, SRS Premium, Sonic Focus, DTS, THX Pro Studio, etc. Additionally, fetures such as Crystalizer, EAX Effects, X-Fi CMSS 3D, SVM, etc can me made available via Creative's X-Fi MD 2 software.
Please note that these features will depend on which Realtek chip you have onboard (steps on how to check this is provided below). On my ALC 892, I got SRS Premium, Dolby Advanced v2, DTS for playback and Andrea microphone enhancement for recording.

System Requirements:

Supported OS: Windows 7 and 8 (both 32 and 64 bit versions are supported)

Supported Chips (as mentioned at the source): ALC880, ALC882, ALC883, ALC885, ALC887, ALC888, ALC889, ALC892, ALC861VC, ALC861VD, ALC660, ALC662, ALC663, ALC665, ALC680, ALC260, ALC262, ALC267, ALC268, ALC270, ALC272, ALC273, ALC670, ALC275, ALC233, ALC284, ALC286, ALC292, ALC383, ALC668, ALC900

NOTE: the features unlocked will purely depend on the chip you have.

How to check onboard chip version:

To check which Realtek chip you have onboard, follow these steps:

1. Go to Control Panel and open 'Realtek HD Audio Manager'.
2. In Realtek HD Audio Manager, click the 'i' button at the bottom-right corner.
3. In the windows that opens, check the text written with 'Audio Codec' (eg. ALC892, 896), this is your onboard Realtek chip version. Only ALC chips are supported by this mod.

Stuff to download:

> Modded realtek drivers.
> Creative X-FI MBII software

link: [strike]*skydrive.live.com/?cid=6d9572c7052312c2#cid=6D9572C7052312C2&id=6D9572C7052312C2!218[/strike]

updated link:
[url]*www.dropbox.com/sh/x8xywuqqtzz2eok/AABxkPdkEM7VsLSPtU349ZIoa?dl=0
[/URL]
download the latest versions as per your OS.

Steps to install modded drivers:
Code:
[B]Windows 8 users need to disable "driver signature enforcement". Steps to do the same are below:[/B]

1. Open charms bar by pressing "Win + c".
2. Select Settings > Change PC Settings > General.
3. Click on "Restart now".
4. Select Troubleshooting > Advanced > Startup Settings > Restart.
5. Press 7 or F7 when prompted to disable Driver Signature Enforcement.

1. Extract the downloaded driver file.
2. Run Setup.exe from the extracted location.
3. The installer will ask to uninstall current audio drivers, allow it to do so. Reboot when prompted.
4. After reboot, the modded driver installation will continue. Allow it to do so.
5. If you get any warning about lack of digital signature by driver or something related to identity not verified, then select "Install anyways" to allow the installer to install modded drivers.
6. Reboot when prompted.
7. You are done.

NOTE: the features unlocked will purely depend on the chip you have.

Steps to use Creative X-FI MB II software:

1. Extract the downloaded creative software file.
2. Run "setup.exe" from the extracted location.
3. COmplete the installation. DO NOT RUN THE SOFTWARE NOW. Ignore any warnings about audio chip not supported.
4. Boot into Safe Mode.
5. Extract "Activator.7z" and run the activation file. this will allow to run Creative X-FI software on onboard Realtek chip.
6. reebo normally.
7. Enjoy.

Note: please make sure you use only 48 KHz as the default sound format, there may be playback problems above 48 KHz.

SRS Effect can be found in Realtek control panel. Other effects like SonicFocus, Dolby, DTS etc can be found under specific playback device settings. Steps to reach there are below:

1. Right click on volume icon in taskbar.
2. Click on "Playback Devices".
3. Double-click on the playback device you use, eg. speaker , headphones or digital audio.

here you fill find all the unlocked effects.

Any query, suggestion, comment is welcomed :)

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great tutorial .. thanks to you for sharing and Gamespirit for creating this masterpiece .. going to try it out today.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
See if it works.. I got a Realtek ALC887.. will try tomorrow..
THANKS for the tutorial mate

Is there any risk involved ?

Hrishi

Thanks Harshil for sharing this with us.
I have successfully used them.Though had some issues because I also had Razer Sorround enabled so it made a mess.And I also had manufacturer's default "Dolby Home Theater" add-ons.
You have to run the .bat file in safe mode as an administrator in order to activate it.

It's working good.The THX Labs is not working for my audio chip , but most of other stuffs work fine.
The audio quality improves significantly if you do not have any 3rd party add-on feature like "beats-audio" or "Dolby home-theater."

Nerevarine

Incarnate
ASUS provides lower end audio chipsets like the ALC887 on most of it's boards.. I hope it works on it :(

I have successfully used them.Though had some issues because I also had Razer Sorround enabled so it made a mess.And I also had manufacturer's default "Dolby Home Theater" add-ons.
You have to run the .bat file in safe mode as an administrator in order to activate it.

It's working good.The THX Labs is not working for my audio chip , but most of other stuffs work fine.
The audio quality improves significantly if you do not have any 3rd party add-on feature like "beats-audio" or "Dolby home-theater."
Which chipset do you have ?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I enabled SRS and indeed it was different..
But I cant tell whether it was an improvement.. I cant tell guys, my ears suck :(

Note: please make sure you use only 48 KHz as the default sound format, there may be playback problems above 48 KHz.
Which one ? 24bit studio quality 48 KhZ or 16 Bit DVD quality 48 KHZ ?

OP
harshilsharma63

harshilsharma63

DIY FTW!
I enabled SRS and indeed it was different..
But I cant tell whether it was an improvement.. I cant tell guys, my ears suck :(

Which one ? 24bit studio quality 48 KhZ or 16 Bit DVD quality 48 KHZ ?

As long as its 48 KHz, it does not matter. BTW I got only 24 bit studio quality in ALC892.

That should not be a problem. Even I have the modded driver as well as Razer Surround installed. razer Surround creates a separate virtual audio device and when it is activated, the Realtek devices automatically get disabled.

See if it works.. I got a Realtek ALC887.. will try tomorrow..
THANKS for the tutorial mate

Is there any risk involved ?

It may not work. that's the only risk involved. If that happens, reinstall the original realtek audio drivers and you are back with the original.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Lastly, is there any goddamn way to improve download speed from skydrive -_-.. How do i download using IDM
Force downloading isnt working :/

Nevermind, Internet Explorer did what chrome could not o_O

Nerevarine

Incarnate
there's a different version for 32 bit.. download Win7_Win8_R271
btw i went back to the original realtek drivers.. These modded drivers sounded terrible on my headphones..
The so called SRS, dolby etc is clearly not meant for a weak chipset like ALC887

OP
harshilsharma63

harshilsharma63

DIY FTW!
there's a different version for 32 bit.. download Win7_Win8_R271
btw i went back to the original realtek drivers.. These modded drivers sounded terrible on my headphones..
The so called SRS, dolby etc is clearly not meant for a weak chipset like ALC887

Try disabling SRS.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I tried every possible combination.. it sounds nothing like the Virtual Surround Option in original Realtek Control Panel Drivers

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've downloaded the GamerSpirit Win7_Win8_R271b X64 - is not that's a moded driver ? I though it's the latest moded driver or it's just the stock driver release from Realtek and we mst use the 2.67 moded driver only ?

OP
harshilsharma63

harshilsharma63

DIY FTW!
I've downloaded the GamerSpirit Win7_Win8_R271b X64 - is not that's a moded driver ? I though it's the latest moded driver or it's just the stock driver release from Realtek and we mst use the 2.67 moded driver only ?

I originally downloaded "64bit_Vista_Win7_Win8_R270_modded.zip" which worked perfectly. Now there's "GAMESPIRIT Win7_Win8_R271 X64 RTM 2013.rar" available which didn't work in my case. try with 'GAMESPIRIT 2.70 X64 WIN 7-8 RTM".

Top Bottom