Romeo + Lucifer = ME
Hey guys
Going in for my mba n i need a laptop out there. I finally decided to go in for
Dell studio 15
Core 2 duo 2Ghz
3Gb DDR2
320Gb HDD
ATI 4570 256 ver card
I hope this thing can run games occasionally all i would be playing there is counter strike n call of duty 6 when it comes out. Apart from that is there any kind of problems with dell studio series which would deter me from buying it.??????

All suggestions are welcome

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Hey dude have you tried running XP on this machine ? The official website does not have any support for XP on this lap, (no drivers etc)...

OP
P

prakash.gourav

Noobness unleashed....
i installed xp sp2 on this but actually the cd was a bit damaged. got my install though but will have to reinstall.
Dell provides nearly 6 diff. drivers for studio 1555 on their website. So not unsupported...
dont know whether bluetooth etc will workor not...

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Go to support.dell.com and put the service tag of your laptop. Select the OS that you have installed and it will display the relevant and updated drivers for your windows xp.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
will check ......when I went to the support section of studio 1555 I got only 2 options for the OS vista and vista 64bit

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
found this link......*www.getpcmemory.com/drivers/download-dell-studio-1555-notebook-windows-xp-drivers/

@prakashgaurav....waiting for that review....:D

OP
P

prakash.gourav

Noobness unleashed....
went home on weekend.... exams approaching so a bit busy.. will post the review in 2 days max...

good link but many drivers are from dell site but not all....
here is the official link...
*search.ap.dell.com/results.aspx?c=in&l=en&s=gen&cat=sup&k=dell+studio+1555&rpp=12&p=1&subcat=dyd&rf=all&nk=f&sort=K&nf=19019~7~141294&navla=19019~7~141294&ira=False&spf=Studio+Laptop&ssysid=studio1555&ssysn=Studio+1555&~srd=False&ipsys=False&advsrch=False&~ck=anav

Last edited:
OP
P

prakash.gourav

Noobness unleashed....
in between ,the 3dmark 06 score for gpu is calculated by adding sm 2.0 and sm 3.0 score if i am correct...
No need to add the cpu score ....?

OP
P

prakash.gourav

Noobness unleashed....
Here is the review... Exams approaching so couldn't get much time.. also writing a
review for the first time so please dont complain.... :D

I customized this model with these specs:
Backlit keyboard
7200 RPM hard disk (320 GB)
Ruby Red colour with black U trim
512 Mb Ati 4570 (GDDR3)
The processor is P8600. All the specs can be check on any site.
Got it at 51.3k as i got an addition discount of 5% being an IIT student.

I have currently vista 32 bit home premium.

Build: Build quality is good. Looks are all right. I will favour them against any hp model but will get beaten by dell xps series or a VAIO.

Cooling:
This laptop is amazingly cool. I have worked on it for more than 12 hours at a go. Gets a bit hot near the touchpad and palmrest but that too on lower side and only to a small extent.
Doesn't get hot anywhere else. Many hp models in our hostel become a furnace even after 1 hour.

Noise:
Perfectly silent. Heat sink doesn't produce any sound. Slot load works like charm. However a bit noisy when a cd is being copied or played.

Audio:
Sound quality is not that good when compared to hp's altec lansing speakers.
However the subwoofer introdueced improves the performance from previous versions of dell studio but there is still scope of improvement. Haven't tried any hybrid drivers yet. However the noise isolation earbuds from creative which are bundled with laptop rock... above 25% sound they can make you deaf... :D
the resolution is 1368*720 and the aspect ratio is 16:9 which is awesome when watching movies. According to me it is a very hot feature....!!!

Touch sensitive buttons have been removed unlike previous studio and have been integrated with function keys which can be configured in bios to have function first or F1 first. Would have loved them to be present though.

The cpu temperature under no load was 45 degree celsius at the end of a 12 hr run. Haven't tested much on full loads

In power saver mode the battery can go for nearly 4 hours. Never tested but won't go down before 3 hours while watching a movie or listening to music or doing day to day work

The 3dmark 06 score of the system was 4124
SM 2.0:1479
sM 3.0: 1734
CPU: 1943

Haven't tried a lot of games yet.... a bit busy... if you want any specific game to be tested, i will
be happy to do so...

OP
P

prakash.gourav

Noobness unleashed....
Zenith director plus ultra got a 3dmark 06 of 4350...
I think i can beat that... he has got a 64 bit system... while mine was 32 bit...

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
my friend got the studio 15 yesterday ....

first impression ...the laptop is pretty compact...the button near the battery (on the bottom) to show the amount of charge the battery has left is pretty cool....the screen is amazing and the speakers have good quality even though they are not that loud....at 35% battery charge it was showing a battery backup of 1 hour (6 cell battery)...Really miss the eject button of the DVD rom drive ....The charger is pretty compact too and won't be much trouble to carry around ....

I tried connecting it to a laptop running XP but was unable to do so....any suggestions ...the LAN shows limited connectivity and on connecting via the ip address Vista asks for the name and password for access ....as far as I know there is no username or password..any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom