Pursuing my ambition to become a Game Designer

GamerSlayer

ProdiGeek
Guys, I completed 10th this year and am awaiting my results and am pretty sure to get scores which enables me to take up science. I am taking Science stream next year and opting for Physics, Chemistry and Maths. As an additional I am taking up C++. Now, I want to become a game designer and am being forced to take up science in particular due to physics. IIT seems worthless to me because of one reason, you won't get to choose which course to take up until and unless one dosen't get a good rank and I don't see any incentive for me to take the risk. My plan is to finish off a course here in India and go abroad because I don't see a scope for the gaming industry here. So guys, tell me what course should I take here in India and a college for me to join and also guide me on what I should do to pursue and achieve my ambition. :mrgreen:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
As a hobby, try and learn indie game development.. Learn Unity 3D via web tutorials, master javascript and learn to draw simple sprites, try making your own midi soundtracks etc.. Dont attempt every thing at once, just be focused and work your way out..
I myself am learning these :)

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Btw, is stuff like Photoshop and coreldraw help?!

Ofcourse it will help, Skills like those are very essential in game designing.. making Textures, sprites and stuff like that..
If you have a steady hand, you might also try drawing sprites .. Youtube is filled with excellent tutorials and such

However, Game designing as a career, especially in a country like India is not worth it.. But I would still encourage you to work on it as a hobby and if you are any good at it, you may consider being an indie game-developer..

OP
GamerSlayer

GamerSlayer

ProdiGeek
As I mentioned, neither do I see a scope for the gaming industry in India. I will obviously go abroad. I would say that my drawing skills are a little low. Is drawing physically really necessary?!

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Not really.. It depends on what aspect of game designing you are interested in and what kind of game you are developing..
But for starter indie game development (team size 3-4), pixel art and basic spriting is very essential IMO

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I tried some game-making in class 9. Mostly modifying Pokemon versions. That ****'s hard, gets tedious pretty quick especially without a good guide. It's completely different from actual gaming. There's a Institute in banglore dedicated to making Indian game makers. I heard Square-Enix comes there every year looking for potential game-makers.

anky

Youngling
I tried some game-making in class 9. Mostly modifying Pokemon versions. That ****'s hard, gets tedious pretty quick especially without a good guide. It's completely different from actual gaming. There's a Institute in banglore dedicated to making Indian game makers. I heard Square-Enix comes there every year looking for potential game-makers.
can you pls tell the name of of that institute, i am going to banglore after 3-4 months and wish to join some institute for gaming, i know nity and have made some games(small games) with the help of online tutorials, but i wish to learn 'maya' , 3DS MAX etc.

OP
GamerSlayer

GamerSlayer

ProdiGeek
Okay, since you guys insist, I might actually try to improve on my drawing skills. But right now, which is the main software in which I should train myself?!

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
even I want to know the name of this institute in blore

[MENTION=161285]GamerSlayer[/MENTION]
any one of BE/BTECH/MSc/MCA are ideal choices for a career in gaming after 12th
you can do part time course in game design during your graduation
software to learn are : photoshop, zbrush, 3d studio max. you can move on to others after these, including blender, maya, bryce, poser. after that try your hands at unity or unreal.
can do a lot with webgl, so might even want to look into that

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I myself saw the name in a SKOAR previous year. I need to find that to tell the name. Someone look up?

Trivia: The headmaster owns an Alienware 17. :p

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
noo... it is not enough. that is to get you prepared and ready for going for professional, full-time post-graduate course in game design. you can do that here or abroad, but in either case, you will be required to present a showreel or portfolio. the admissions procedures for these courses start around October even when the course starts in the next July, you will have to plan even more ahead if going abroad. if you dont know the technologies involved after doing BTech/BE, it's no time to learn and prepare a portfolio/show-reel for the post graduate course in time for the admissions. but by the time of your graduation itself you can do a post-graduate diploma in game design which will tremendously increase your chances of getting into a specialized course. you get a head start in the course as these are usually intense and cover around 18-20 modules or subjects, done within 1-2 years.

there are some institutes that have BSc in game design. Avoid.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
that depends. till graduation, prolly do in India. after that pick from between the job profiles available in the placements at the end of the post graduate course.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
What are some good colleges for B.Tech CSE BTW? I plan to pursue coding in game-designing.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
What are some good colleges for B.Tech CSE BTW? I plan to pursue coding in game-designing.

Id recommend you focus on BTECH CSE from a REPUTED institute, it will maximize ur chances of going abroad

Qualifacation is enough, your work counts more than institute you got certificate from

Internships are great for finding out what kind of work you wanna do during graduation.

answering some earlier questions
art is lighting, texturing, concept, prep, rigging, cameras, particle fx,
dev is terrain, I/O, porting, networking, maintenance, collisions and physics
design is levels, AI, prototyping, testing, storytelling

Top Bottom