Preview + Feedback [July 2010]

Status
Not open for further replies.

hskpunjabi

Journeyman
Hi Folks,

I bought Digit July issue and surprised by the Fedora 13, there's not even a basic utility like cc,c++ for programs especially for students like me.

I am totally disappointed :x with that, it wasted my time and money.
Please try to avoid packing DVD with useless software.

All is not well.

thanks 4 advise.......n one thing more i'm out of money...thanks 2 last month's costlier version....In this era of "Mehngayi" everything seems to going out of reach 4 common people....including digit.

like Athi Nivas said....All is not well.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ Revolution - I'm not good enough at writing reviews .. so pardon me in this

Just finished reading the gfx card test but I'm a little bit surprised to see the price of sapphire HD 5670 7.4k !!!

The test was good enough as the gfx cards got tested with necessary benchmarks apps and games but I feel the final chart ( with prices ) does not contain some useful infos like idle and load temps and memory amount and fps ratings of of some games at high settings- so you have dig down into the article everytime if you need those infos for gfx card.

The test has gfx cards upto HD 5750 though it would have been been better if a HD 5770, HD 4870, HD 4850 and GTX 260 can be benchmarked as well :p

Overall the gfx card test has plenty of information to settle your mind on a gfx card that's currently available in the market.

The magazine has got good number of good articles this time ( yes, even more than previous month ! ) :p

Revolution

Wise Old Owl
I always use this forum when I need information about price.
Digit sucks at information about product pricing.
Many times I saw that Digit recommended Corsair VX450W @Rs.2.5K.....o_O
Where the price was near 4K.....

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
I hear a lot of complaints about ADs in Digit, and I understand the reasons you complain. Personally, I'm torn between not wanting ads as a Digit reader myself, and needing ads as the Editor to keep production costs down. However, the "every second page is an AD" is more of an illusion than reality. There are very clear reasons for this:

1. Most advertisers always want their ads to be placed in the "early right hand pages". It's the bane of all publishing houses, not just us.

2. The reading in the sections in the beginning of the magazine are usually lighter, with a more "newsy" feel. I've done this purposely, taking into consideration advertiser demands, so that the more in-depth articles later are broken up less by ads. Imagine Tips & Tricks if it were left page content, right page ad?

3. A lot of studies have shown that the majority of us notice the right-page of a magazine first, and look at the left page second when flipping through. This is why advertisers always seem to want right page ads, and also why you notice the ads more.

4. The bombardment of ads in the earlier pages seems to leave you guys with an impression that the whole magazine is like that. In truth, a regular issue of digit has about 5:1 ratio or content:ads, which is a pretty good balance.

I just wish we could separate ads in such a way that you read 5 pages and then see an ad throughout the magazine, but I honestly don't think I'm going to be the one who revolutionizes the print industry and changes what media houses haven't been able to for a hundred years! Just like every editor, of every magazine ever made, I will keep trying though :)

As for 400 page content and 400 page ads, I would love nothing more, though I think writers, sales and production people will probably collapse from exhaustion about half-way through that issue... still, you never know... December maybe ;)

We will however try and stick to the 5:1 ratio, or at worst 4:1, so if we ever get 100 ads, you can expect 400 to 500 pages of content ;)

I will also ask echoplxx to upload the full DVD contents today.

For those who don't know already, Echoplxx (Sambhav) is trying very hard to fill in the rather huge gap Anorion (Aditya) left when he went off to pursue further studies. Let's all wish Aditya the best of luck for the future, and hope that he'll continue visiting us here on the forum.

OP
echoplxx

echoplxx

Journeyman
@ Revolution - I'm not good enough at writing reviews .. so pardon me in this

Just finished reading the gfx card test but I'm a little bit surprised to see the price of sapphire HD 5670 7.4k !!!

The test was good enough as the gfx cards got tested with necessary benchmarks apps and games but I feel the final chart ( with prices ) does not contain some useful infos like idle and load temps and memory amount and fps ratings of of some games at high settings- so you have dig down into the article everytime if you need those infos for gfx card.

The test has gfx cards upto HD 5750 though it would have been been better if a HD 5770, HD 4870, HD 4850 and GTX 260 can be benchmarked as well :p

Overall the gfx card test has plenty of information to settle your mind on a gfx card that's currently available in the market.

The magazine has got good number of good articles this time ( yes, even more than previous month ! ) :p

Complete list of graphic card details along with in-depth tables and other info will be put up shortly
refer to thinkdigit.com/d/1007_graphics

---------- Post added at 04:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

Get list of DVD content here and here

Revolution

Wise Old Owl
Bought Digit at noon.Magazine is thin;2:1 ratio of article & add.Pls make it 1:1 but give more good articles.Less tutorials & tips not so good.GPU reviews lacks many important & useful data.Agent 001 on HDD not so interesting these days.FT not useful to me cos I don't have basic idea on Linux.Have not seen the DVD content yet.....

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ echoplxx - thanks for informing - though this link you referred in not working - opera is showing a blank page but IE8 is showing something like shorty - beta forum with a Login link :confused: - will check the link a few days later though :p

However the disc contents links are working just fine.

The DVD contains some short hindi movies which are well entertaining - loved the short cartoons - the two movies are good and entertaining as well.

The Drivers, dot net frameworks, java runtime, dx runtime and comodo firewall security - all are updated this time. If I get some time will check out Musix and the recovery disc images and other tools and those little and mid sized games for sure. The tutorials and lectures are good as well.

One request - don't use orange background and white texts - it's irritating - yes, I'm talking about the Split Second review - Instead use black background and white texts with some images for game reviews.

will read the rest of the mag articles and post feedback ( If time permits ) :p

Last edited:

pauldmps

Banned
I ordered the mag online the first day it was available (Using the Digit voucher I won last month). Not delivered till now.

OP
echoplxx

echoplxx

Journeyman
@topgear - thanks for a positive response on the DVD contents
graphic card details link will be up shortly..

ravi.tejarockon

Right off the assembly line
Guys!,
I'm expecting totally 2 DVD'S full of software wasting the space and providing worst videos and music which i never used since 1 year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE PROVIDE MORE & MORE SOFWARE PLEASE.....................................

hskpunjabi

Journeyman
I hear a lot of complaints about ADs in Digit, and I understand the reasons you complain. Personally, I'm torn between not wanting ads as a Digit reader myself, and needing ads as the Editor to keep production costs down. However, the "every second page is an AD" is more of an illusion than reality. There are very clear reasons for this:

1. Most advertisers always want their ads to be placed in the "early right hand pages". It's the bane of all publishing houses, not just us.

2. The reading in the sections in the beginning of the magazine are usually lighter, with a more "newsy" feel. I've done this purposely, taking into consideration advertiser demands, so that the more in-depth articles later are broken up less by ads. Imagine Tips & Tricks if it were left page content, right page ad?

3. A lot of studies have shown that the majority of us notice the right-page of a magazine first, and look at the left page second when flipping through. This is why advertisers always seem to want right page ads, and also why you notice the ads more.

4. The bombardment of ads in the earlier pages seems to leave you guys with an impression that the whole magazine is like that. In truth, a regular issue of digit has about 5:1 ratio or content:ads, which is a pretty good balance.

I just wish we could separate ads in such a way that you read 5 pages and then see an ad throughout the magazine, but I honestly don't think I'm going to be the one who revolutionizes the print industry and changes what media houses haven't been able to for a hundred years! Just like every editor, of every magazine ever made, I will keep trying though :)

As for 400 page content and 400 page ads, I would love nothing more, though I think writers, sales and production people will probably collapse from exhaustion about half-way through that issue... still, you never know... December maybe ;)

We will however try and stick to the 5:1 ratio, or at worst 4:1, so if we ever get 100 ads, you can expect 400 to 500 pages of content ;)

I will also ask echoplxx to upload the full DVD contents today.

For those who don't know already, Echoplxx (Sambhav) is trying very hard to fill in the rather huge gap Anorion (Aditya) left when he went off to pursue further studies. Let's all wish Aditya the best of luck for the future, and hope that he'll continue visiting us here on the forum.

Dear Mr. Raaabo, a request 2 u on behalf of all digit readers(i'm sure most readers would agree with me)...we all know adds are necessary to run the magazine & to cut costs...but what we see these days that adds are increasing n' cost too....place as many adds as u like or get...it would make the magazine look bigger :) but at least reduce the price to Rs125 to Rs 150 as before...

^ agreeing with you, and want to add a little, I would say 100/- for mag with only one dual layer dvd with quality stuff and FT as pdf on the disc, it will not only reduce costs , also save trees and also increase readership ..................

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ That's a great idea - this will give other competitors a really hard time - I don't mind in lots of adds though to keep the mag cost low - also for adds we can at-least come to know which products are available in the country :p

regarding adds there could be a section after each 10 page with 5 pages ( big full page add ) for adds.

As for this month's mag there are only 6 or 7 full page adds among the pages of the mag - so it's that not too much

My demand : Increase more adds with contents

DigitCritic

Broken In
^ agreeing with you, and want to add a little, I would say 100/- for mag with only one dual layer dvd with quality stuff and FT as pdf on the disc, it will not only reduce costs , also save trees and also increase readership ..................

I also like the idea of FT given as pdf. It reduces cost and save trees, worth considering.

I would like to thank Digit Team for providing a good tool such as VMWare Server 2.0. I do not know if many have used and experienced its worth but never the less thanks.

The FT on linux administration was ok, I was expecting more impressive content to be honest may be it did not impress me as I am already certified on unix/linux platforms...

After a long time... or may be years I saw a critic's letter published in Digit.I was a surprised to say in moderate words as I always used to see only praises being published.

One more thing, Once again I would like to say we need less content as far as movies are concerned. If video is in Demand then please provide VIDEO TUTORIALS, Lectures it will be more value for money moreover then the dvds would also be worth keeping.

@Admirer of Digit

I think Digit gave a review on dell's N series notebook. You should focus on the latest series if you are going to buy dell than the old series.

ravindarjobs

Broken In
Guys!,
I'm expecting totally 2 DVD'S full of software wasting the space and providing worst videos and music which i never used since 1 year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PLEASE PROVIDE MORE & MORE SOFWARE PLEASE.....................................

Yes its really waste providing waste videos and music which we never use.
even the videos digit providing are very old black and white item movies.
who will desire to see them in this fast moving busy time?

better to remove those item videos and music album section.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do prefer to watch those movies even in this fast moving busy time :p

@ echoplxx - thanks for the updated graphics card test chart - this is what I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom