PPPoE Configuration in Open SUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahim

Married!
Why are you logged as "root" user?
I really dont understand what went wrong. I use KDE 3.5 and i set up Ethernet as DHCp and then created a DSL connection and provided my Dataone a/c details, make sure you enter username@dataone without the ".in"
and rebooted, and just clicked on the icon on system tray to connect.
I still think you should delete those configs and restart again and plz use "normal" user to login and then give root password when prompted when you open YaST.

Last edited:
OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
As far as Dataone details go I just gave my normal username and password, nothing more like @ something something. Is this where problem lies? Nucleus, get out out of your Kore and hear my plea...:(

Rahim

Married!
As far as Dataone details go I just gave my normal username and password, nothing more like @ something something. Is this where problem lies? Nucleus, get out out of your Kore and hear my plea...:(
Yes you have to give your username as username@dataone without the ".in"

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Well initially I thought of doing so but I don't know my VCI and VCP number and the default values, i.e. 0 and 35 don't work. :(

@ Nucleus Kore, Clarify these 2 things to me:

1. In DSL Configuration we have left the tickbox ticked where it say "Enable Device Control for non-root user via KInternet" BUT at Network Card configuration menu it hasn't been selected, what to do? :(
  2. In DSL Configuration where we have to give username and password, what is the format of giving username? In Windows I just give my plain username and password and hit the Connect button to get connected. :confused:
I can bear the messed up Boot Config on GRUB but can't bear the messed up network as it is proving too much daunting thing preventing me from migrating to Linux.

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Well initially I thought of doing so but I don't know my VCI and VCP number and the default values, i.e. 0 and 35 don't work. :(

If you are getting a VPI/VCI box to fill you are using PPPoA and not PPPoE. That is one mistake. Make sure you set up as PPPoE

1. In DSL Configuration we have left the tickbox ticked where it say "Enable Device Control for non-root user via KInternet" BUT at Network Card configuration menu it hasn't been selected, what to do? :(
  2. In DSL Configuration where we have to give username and password, what is the format of giving username? In Windows I just give my plain username and password and hit the Connect button to get connected. :confused:

Network config is fine don't fiddle with it
Username and password is the same as your windows configuration. If you set up your connection in windows yourself then you'll know. If your ISP did it for you, call them and ask for instructions to set up on windows. Don't tell them linux as they will simply say we don't support linux and keep the phone down.

Rahim

Married!
arey bhai how many times do i have to repeat before you understand? suppose yourusername is plasma, as entered in windows then, just enter plasma@dataone as the username and make sure you are using PPPoE and not PPPoA as pointed by NukleusKore and quite frankly you dont need those entries.
Sorry if i sound rude....i think you are not reading my post :p

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Rahim Bhai you are confusing me. In the last post Nucleus Kore is saying that the Username should be as in the Windows so acc to that in Linux too my username would be "Sideshwari" but you are saying it should be like "Sideshwari@dataone". Whose right, please don't puzzle me. BTW Is Username and password Case-Sensitive? :confused:

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I am referring to the username and password the ISP has given you. It is the same for Windows, Linux, and any other monkey or donkey OS that can establish a PPPoE connection.

Rahim

Married!
^I have used that format in all my distros (Ubuntu, openSUSE, Mint, Mandriva) and i have just setup Dataone in Fedora 8 (i am writing from it)with that username :p and it works.

Last edited:
OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
I re configured the whole thing by the book but still no result. Check the log file please to assess the error with KInternet. This time my Username was simple "sideshwari" nothing @ stuff and simple password. Please solve this last issue.

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
:( Can't you even guess a remote probable cause or anything for it? At least can you point me in the direction where I can get help regarding this issue? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom