PPPoE Configuration in Open SUSE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
I'm a Linux N00b and recently installed Open SUSE 10.3. I've a BSNL 512Kbps UL plan and need to configure the PPPoE connection in it. Please tell me the detailed procedure to do so.:(

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Check out the tutorial in the Tutorial section by NucleusKore You'll certainly get help from there..

arupch

Tech Addict
Its simple. Use Yast - configure network device - configure dsl - and ou're done. If you can't do it yourself follow the guide by NukleusCore.

OT
Why 10.3 why not 11?

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
I'm using GNOME desktop environment. I did exactly what the NucleusKore showed in his guide but still not able to connect to the Internet. I had 2 differences shown in the guide:

1. As username Nucleus Kore entered some email ID type username whilst my username is just a name.
  2. Moreover it never asked me about Kinternet but I installed it anyways. I double Click it, nothing happens. There's No Icon on desktop either that the screenshot shows, will be there on successful network establishment.
If it helps I'll post screenshots of my Network Config process just like Nucleus Kore so that you guys can have a better understanding of the problem and I too can finally move on to FOSS.

praka123

left this forum longback
do you have broadband "configured" on your router/modem? then ,use yast and enable dhcp ,pointing to 192.168.1.1 gateway.

In bridge mode ,most distros allow "pppoe-setup " to configure.later u can use "pppoe-start" and "pppoe-stop" to control :p

NucleusKore

TheSaint
PM NucleusKore he might have missed this thread :).

I'm using GNOME desktop environment. I did exactly what the NucleusKore showed in his guide but still not able to connect to the Internet. I had 2 differences shown in the guide:

1. As username Nucleus Kore entered some email ID type username whilst my username is just a name.
  2. Moreover it never asked me about Kinternet but I installed it anyways. I double Click it, nothing happens. There's No Icon on desktop either that the screenshot shows, will be there on successful network establishment.
If it helps I'll post screenshots of my Network Config process just like Nucleus Kore so that you guys can have a better understanding of the problem and I too can finally move on to FOSS.

No I did not miss it, I simply cannot understand why KInternet was not asked for during set up. Something has gone wrong here and I can't quite figure out what it is.

Please go through the tutorial again, repeat the steps, no harm, and observe what happens at each step, any variations. Delete the network card configuration and add it again in YaST.

Make sure you "Enable Device Control for Non-root User via KInternet" (see tutorial), as well as smppd (see tutorial).

praka123

left this forum longback
Gnome means kinternet may not be by default ,kinternet being a kde app :D

My advice is to make shortcuts for pppoe-start and pppoe-stop command to your top panel on Gnome.add urself to wheel ,dip,dialout whatever respective group to gain rights to switch on and off pppoe internet :)

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Also note that installing KInternet in GNOME means you are adding kdebase and other KDE components. This means that a system reboot is called far and this has been mentioned in the tutorial. If you install KInternet and try to open it immediately it's not going to work.

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Funny thing is that smppd was enabled By default when I checked the services initially and I'm also facing Boot problems which I've mentioned in separate thread. Also tell me how do you embed those pictures in your post so that next time I too can show you guys, what is happening on my end...:confused:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
upload it on imageshack.us
It will give you forum thumbnail code after upload, paste that code here

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Well here it goes then. I've uploaded the files at both Imageshack and in my Skydrive account but here I'm giving Imageshack links. If this doesn't works then I'll try with Skydrive ones.
These pics are in the order of the steps followed.

*img99.imageshack.us/img99/1502/pic1fa4.th.png

2. *img91.imageshack.us/img91/4151/pic2zv1.th.png

3. *img149.imageshack.us/img149/8025/pic3vf5.th.png

4.*img149.imageshack.us/img149/6282/pic4dv5.th.png

5. *img88.imageshack.us/img88/798/pic5id3.th.png

6. *img234.imageshack.us/img234/7721/pic6jq6.th.png

7. *img213.imageshack.us/img213/8413/pic7rg0.th.png

8. *img530.imageshack.us/img530/4434/pic8ci8.th.png

9. *img224.imageshack.us/img224/7259/pic9ol0.th.png

10. *img214.imageshack.us/img214/2861/pic10pe5.th.png

11. *img213.imageshack.us/img213/2629/pic11cm2.th.png

12. *img291.imageshack.us/img291/9707/pic12tk3.th.png

13. *img214.imageshack.us/img214/805/pic13wf9.th.png

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
1. Uncheck enable ipv6 from Global Options and reboot your system
2. In the DSL configuration window I find your modem IP a bit strange 10.0.0.38???

Your network settings are fine except what I mentioned in step 1 above.
So execute step 1.
Delete the dsl configurations (you named BSNL) you made through YaST and reboot your system
Now start the process of setting up the DSL connection again

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
The modem's IP was 10.0.0.138, just as in your pics. Also when I first configured the network according to the guide, I didn't got any error of KInternet not being installed or of smppd being OFF, it was ON already. Moreover I did all that you mentioned in your above post but still nothing happens. I get that KInternet icon of Male type connector and when I select 'Dial In' nothing happens, no indication of dialing process or nothing. Below are the screen shots of my KInternet's config. For me the only measure left is to either re-install KInternet or the whole OS again. :mad:
*img214.imageshack.us/img214/9820/k1ws0.png

*img524.imageshack.us/img524/6461/k2pb1.png

*img57.imageshack.us/img57/3711/k3fl5.png

*img214.imageshack.us/img214/928/k4og5.png

*img57.imageshack.us/img57/4876/k5db2.png

Rahim

Married!
I remember about my problem and it seems Kinternet use to dial eth0 and not dsl0. So i had to right-click on kinternet icon and disconnect eth0 interface and then dial dsl0. You should give it a try.

You dont have to reinstall the whole OS. You might delete your dsl0 and eth0 connections and start from scratch from YaST ->Network

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Well in the afternoon I fired up Linux and started KInternet. Dialed in and voila it got connected but my past experiences told me not to get my hopes up yet, so I opened Firefox and allowed the home page to load. my suspicion was True. Page failed to load and the error message was unable to contact the server. So any way here's what I found and this is what you have to make out my problem from. Please do something Nucleus Kore babu. :?

*img99.imageshack.us/img99/5633/krig2.th.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom