Post your Speedtest results

Nerevarine

Incarnate
oh ok well 4g speed is good you cant compare with india(as speed is so much better)
also broadband speed and rates must be cheaper there
not really, in my old city in india, (bhubaneswar) I used to pay 950 rupees for 100 mbps/100 mbps connection. Here its 25 euros (around Rs 2000).

Plus india data rates are too good, and IMO 30 mbps for a mobile data connection is totally fine.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
not really, in my old city in india, (bhubaneswar) I used to pay 950 rupees for 100 mbps/100 mbps connection. Here its 25 euros (around Rs 2000).
The thing is, many small time ISPs don't give such speeds everywhere especially on cross border traffic via https/torrents/irc/usenet/ftp while major ISPs all have FUP limits.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
*www.speedtest.net/result/13093605122.png

I had also Disabled the GPON Home Gateway Security Level.
And now the Speed Test Results by "OOKLA" are displayed again.

What is your take @whitestar_999 ? Shall I enable the Firewall Protection (within NOKIA Router) again?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Receiving this speed on 200 mbps plan.
It is most likely because of server side caching. That is why speed tests are not reliable. Try downloading evaluation/trial version of win 10 enterprise(90 days validity which cannot be extended by any means incl "ahem" means).
*www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-10-enterprise

kapilove77

Padawan
It is most likely because of server side caching. That is why speed tests are not reliable. Try downloading evaluation/trial version of win 10 enterprise(90 days validity which cannot be extended by any means incl "ahem" means).
*www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-10-enterprise
Downloaded batman 15gb file via torrent and it was downloaded in 9 mins. Tested in steam also getting high speed.

kapilove77

Padawan
1651328190194.png

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like I said, cached results. I have seen people achieving 100mbps on 2mbps bsnl broadband connections back in 2012. Compared to that, achieving 1gbps on a 200mbps connection due to caching is normal.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes that look genuine, my guess is you are getting this speed from any server located within India(Steam uses CDN which has Indian servers & all the speedtest servers by default pick location within same country). Torrent has outside India peers so probably why your avg download speed on that earlier given example was just a bit more than your 200mbps connection speed.

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
I noticed I am getting a speed of 9-11 Megabytes per second while downloading torrent, which translates to 72-88Megabits per second. But my plan is only of 40Megabits per second. So are torrent speed not tracked by ISPs? Or is it because of many peers?

Also, this happens only with torrent, other download and speed test run at normal speed.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
I noticed I am getting a speed of 9-11 Megabytes per second while downloading torrent, which translates to 72-88Megabits per second. But my plan is only of 40Megabits per second. So are torrent speed not tracked by ISPs? Or is it because of many peers?

Also, this happens only with torrent, other download and speed test run at normal speed.
Its called a content cache. Basically ISP has a large storage device which caches commonly downloaded items. When you download something, if the hash matches, then it will let you "download" from this content cache instead of the actual source. Ofcourse theres a lot of algorithms and hashing going on in the background but you get the gist.

But it could also be possible some routes like torrents dont have the softcap like you said.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member

It may also happen if local peering is enabled which basically means you are downloading from seeders having same ISP as yours within your city/area so no speed cap as this bandwidth is free of cost to your ISP which only pays for bandwidth coming in/going out of its own network.
@Nerevarine

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
Its called a content cache. Basically ISP has a large storage device which caches commonly downloaded items. When you download something, if the hash matches, then it will let you "download" from this content cache instead of the actual source. Ofcourse theres a lot of algorithms and hashing going on in the background but you get the gist.

But it could also be possible some routes like torrents dont have the softcap like you said.

But do they cache torrents too?? Because the one I was downloading was of an old movie.

It seems more like torrents do not have softcap.

Top Bottom