Post your latest Purchase

monkey

Padawan
Wow, there seems to be some serious arguments here...but I think it shud be done under "Graphic cards" section... :smile:

Anyways I tried using 9600GT as PhysX card and nVidia (through Forceware) still recommended to use GTX 560Ti for PhysX..

So I will be upgrading to Corsair 750W and then go for GTX 560Ti SLI....:grin:

Last edited:

tkin

Back to school!!
Wow, there seems to be some serious arguments here...but I think it shud be done under "Graphics" section... :smile:

Anyways I tried using 9600GT as PhysX card and nVidia (through Forceware) still recommended to use GTX 560Ti for PhysX..

If you have GTX560 sli it will eat games for midnight snack, no need for dedicated physx processing, fyi physx is dead, no new games to support it for a long time, count on havok to be accelerated by 4core proccys, I'm looking at red faction armageddon.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
i already purchased armageddon in steam a few months ago!

make sure you have DX11 gpu.by the recommended system requirements this will be a seriously intense game!

tkin

Back to school!!
i already purchased armageddon in steam a few months ago!

make sure you have DX11 gpu.by the recommended system requirements this will be a seriously intense game!
monkey has a 560, I'll be getting a gpu soon(alongside a 2600k), now I am torn between hawk and a 570(I can spend the extra money for the 570 for a ssd).

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Get 6970.At similar price its better than 570.

if 570 is a must get Palit Sonic Platinum ;)

SSD will improve load times by a few seconds at most.no improvement at all to framerates.
as long as you dont find your current HDD slow there is no need to upgrade to SSD.

BTW SSDs have lower MTBF and higher wear and tear rate than HDD.(no im not referring to physical damage)

tkin

Back to school!!
Get 6970.At similar price its better than 570.

if 570 is a must get Palit Sonic Platinum ;)

SSD will improve load times by a few seconds at most.no improvement at all to framerates.
as long as you dont find your current HDD slow there is no need to upgrade to SSD.

BTW SSDs have lower MTBF and higher wear and tear rate than HDD.(no im not referring to physical damage)
I used to own a 5850, enough with ati drivers, wish I had the money for the 580 lightning, god damn fate.

tkin

Back to school!!
@ monkey, this guy got his hawk to 1475 core with LN2, *gulp*
MSI GTX 560 Ti Hawk (mods + oc + coldslow bios) - hwbot.org

nginx

In the zone
Wow, there seems to be some serious arguments here...but I think it shud be done under "Graphic cards" section... :smile:

Wow the latest purchase thread has turned into a debate haven lol.

First of all, congrats on your purchase. I still don't know how you managed to get the GTX 560 HAWK for 14.3k from SMC though. Did you call them and negotiate the price or what?

Anyway, people should stop being so finicky about their PSUs. Corsair PSUs are no mug. GTX 560 Ti SLI only needs about 500W. So a VX550 should be more than enough. No real need to waste money on a PSU upgrade. Corsair always underrates their product and that means when they rate a PSU 550W, it means it is capable of handling 550W 24x7 and can accommodate upto 650W if necessary for a short time.

Btw, don't waste money on PhysX cards unless you get a used one for real cheap. Barely a handful of games support PhysX. You would be much better served in 90% of the games with a GTX 560 SLI setup instead.

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
+1 except on PSU.

While corsair DOES underrate its products,it does that to increase its life and maintain efficiency standards.

They give minimum 3 years warranty for god's sake and the Enthusiast models get 5-7 years warranty.

My AX-1200 can do 1500W but then its efficiency will drastically reduce in those scenarios.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Yes at full load, efficiency decreases. But the ax series are gold rated i.e they give 95% efficiency across the load. So your ax 1200 can give 1500 watt without drastical reduction in efficiency and quality won't degrade either. That 7 year warranty is a testament to this.

Last edited:

nginx

In the zone
^^ Upload to free image hosting services like Photobucket and IMGur and then post the direct links of the pics here within img tags. Much better option than the attachment system here.

+1 except on PSU.

While corsair DOES underrate its products,it does that to increase its life and maintain efficiency standards.

They give minimum 3 years warranty for god's sake and the Enthusiast models get 5-7 years warranty.

My AX-1200 can do 1500W but then its efficiency will drastically reduce in those scenarios.

The question of efficiency and life expectancy of PSU decreasing only comes into play if you're keeping the desktop under full load under 24x7 and that means playing heavy duty games like Crysis 2 or Metro 2033 at max settings 24x7. Slightly lesser games wouldn't even put the GFX card at full load for any length of time. Most of us normal people only play games for 3-4 hours at a stretch and then give the PC a rest. So unless you are a crazy gamer and don't even eat, sleep or rest, you need not be worried about a 550W PSU buckling under 500W load.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
The question of efficiency and life expectancy of PSU decreasing only comes into play if you're keeping the desktop under full load under 24x7 and that means playing heavy duty games like Crysis 2 or Metro 2033 at max settings 24x7. Slightly lesser games wouldn't even put the GFX card at full load for any length of time. Most of us normal people only play games for 3-4 hours at a stretch and then give the PC a rest. So unless you are a crazy gamer and don't even eat, sleep or rest, you need not be worried about a 550W PSU buckling under 500W load.

Well said, buddy. +1 from me.

Tenida

Gadget Freak
+2!!!! well said bro.

Top Bottom