Portable audio players vs Smartphones

Would you go for a portable audio player?

• Yes, I'd go for it.

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • No, I'd rather go for a smartphone only.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • No, I'd rather go for a smartphone+dac/amp combo.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I'd go for a smartphone while outside, I'd go for a hifi audio system in home.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ratul

█████████████████
definitely DAP>Smartphones for me, i love my Sansa Clip Zip for it's small and compact size, flat frequency response, easy to use and much more durable (the poor guy has seen some pretty rough falls. :p). Keeps the music up for 12-15hrs, saves my phone for much more critical tasks. Though some phones these days do have pretty good audio chips, but still i'd prefer a DAP anyday. :D

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Dedicated audio player because I don't want to be left out in middle of nowhere with my phone's battery down to zero.

Apart from that a DAP with good memory >128GB and a high quality resolution.

LG G2's sound is not that good compared to other alternatives I have. It has a perceptible noise floor with low impedance earphones.

icebags

Technomancer
I think the LG G2 comes with Wolfson 5110 DAC, not sure, but the sound coming from my phone ss really clear.

since u already researched much, can u just put a categorized list of recommended & good DAC supported fones & PMPs in the first post ? :meditate:

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^do let us know how it is
Expect it to be buggy, because it is not listed even under the unstable builds of rockbox
but then rockbox for Android devices might be a special case, as it is not replacing firmware on PMP

Hrishi

DAP with Rockbox support , all the way!
Using Sansa Clip with Rockbox firmware. I love it for the possibilities of tweaking the audio output in so many ways.
Its way better than any smartphone I have used ( n91 was an exception in audio quality ).
I

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
^do let us know how it is
Expect it to be buggy, because it is not listed even under the unstable builds of rockbox
but then rockbox for Android devices might be a special case, as it is not replacing firmware on PMP

Tried it finally on Galaxy Y. Felt like it crippled the phone. Lag was significant. CM11's stock music player was smoother. Back to using poweramp again.

Same phone is giving >24 days of standby time on flight mode and minimal music usage. :shock:

I guess it'll give 2-3 days battery life easily for music playback only. Won't be buying a dedicated music player soon.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
The power or the current of Personal audio players are better over smartphone, dedicated music players can drive headphones and IEMs better. And since they don't carry the noisy GSM signals they tend to sound better, my personal opinion.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
i use a Sansa Clip Zip, rockbox'd, and it sounds better than any smart phone i have heard [iphone/flagship to mid tier android phones].

i have also had the good fortune of pairing it with a Fiio Amp[dont remember the exact model] and listening through the ATH M50 and A700.

it was an experience unlike anything.. :wub:

- - - Updated - - -

also, it can play 24bit 192khz flac records without any lag. its another topic that 24bit-192khz is overkill and not needed. but the capability of the tiny player to play files of such high resolution without any lags is just tremendous.

the phones that i have tried generally transcode the flac to play them. and iphone does not support flac :p

and 15hrs of music playback capability = major win.

- - - Updated - - -

oh.. there is ALAC for Apple.

Top Bottom