Point and shoot camera@15k

Tenida

Gadget Freak
I am making this thread on behalf of Tkin. Right now he is in Darjeeling, the sad part is he has just broken his Sony Point-n-shoot camera.:(
So, he need a new point-n-shoot camera. Budget is 15K(+/-3K)

Brand to choose
- Canon, Nikon, Sony, Panasonic, Fujifilm or other good brand

ashis_lakra

Gaming Unlimited
How about Sony DSC Hx 9V or Canon PowerShot SX230 HS ? Both are available at 16-18k.

Sony
~~~~
Vibrant color, awesome night mode, 60 fps HD video recording, panorama, 16x optical zoon, not too sharp images when viewed at 100%, GPS , bulky etc etc

Canon
~~~~
Accurate color with great detail, 14x optical zoom, 30 fps HD recording ( bad as compared to sony ), not so good night mode, etc . etc

I would personally go for Sony as it has great features but lacks detail in photos compared to Canon. But who cares ? :)

You can find the reviews on Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX9V Review | PhotographyBLOG

Canon PowerShot SX230 HS Review | PhotographyBLOG

Hope this helps.

abhidev

Human Spambot
I compared the canon sx220 and sony hx9v...and I found images of sony to be bit grainy. Well I myself was confused between the two. I have zeroed down to sx220 but sadly its unavailable on flipkart :(

sujoyp

Grand Master
guys u all know the choices :D

due to too much noise reduction ..images of sony have less details and maybe grainy
but sony have some nice features like panorama and twilight mode...which works superbly.

canon have better image quality and manual settings..

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I own a Sony W570 and have used a SX130IS. From what I observed, Sony is for those who want hassle free experience. Canon for tinkering. Regarding quality, as above said, I can't see any grains in my cam's pic ever. Its very clear. But color reproduction of Canon is much better, but it hardly matters for most people. (read non-enthusiasts)

sujoyp

Grand Master
u r right sujay....those who want a simple cam with lot of features...just to click pic and post it to fb and print 6x4 or 5x7 pictures no problem with sony...actually u wont even find any diference with any cam in that segment

aroraanant

Explorer
If he wants a cam with manual settings then ask him to get Canon SX220.
And if we want a camera with a lot of features, image quality and automatic control,and as said above a hassle free cam then get Sony HX9V

tkin

Back to school!!
Hmm, thanks for your replies guys, right now the HX9V is out of stock in flipkart, and I was zeroing in on it too, I'll get it by next month for sure, and if any camera under 20k offers a lot better feature set then I am all for it, and I will pay the extra 5k, but it has to be worth it, and also must be compact, thats the key.

ATM the HX9V looks the best VFM, am looking for it.

PS: Thanks tenida for your effort, looks like my cams gone to smithereens.

abhidev

Human Spambot
Received Canon sx220 hs from flipkart today....and it feels sleek!! :D
one advice...try them out in a shop and then decide.

sumansherlock

Broken In
Guys i am confused btw Sony DSC Hx 9V or Canon PowerShot SX230 HS....My dad wants a point and shoot...His main requirement is GPS:p does the SX230HS has GPS??

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Hmm, thanks for your replies guys, right now the HX9V is out of stock in flipkart, and I was zeroing in on it too, I'll get it by next month for sure, and if any camera under 20k offers a lot better feature set then I am all for it, and I will pay the extra 5k, but it has to be worth it, and also must be compact, thats the key.

ATM the HX9V looks the best VFM, am looking for it.

PS: Thanks tenida for your effort, looks like my cams gone to smithereens.

Buddy why don't you take a look at mirrorless dslr or rather dslm cameras.

If you don't care about higher zoom, then you can look at Sony NEX-3K or Olympus E-PL1

The sony is out of stock in flipkart but is available at all sony centres as well as electronic retail outlets. Same can be said for olympus.

They are slr cameras without a mirror setup for previewing the image through a viewfinder. Their sensors are excellent and offers slr quality pictures and even comes with interchangeable lens. But the only downside is that the lens kits for mirrorless cameras are expensive.

If you care about image quality over zoom, then mirrorless cameras are worth a look. The reviews are very good and check the following reviews for both cameras:

Sony NEX-5K/3K

Olympus E-PL1

They fall within 20k and offer terrific image quality owing to their large cmos sensors.

tkin

Back to school!!
If you are OK with bridge cameras, check HX100V. It should be around 20k.
No, no bridge, too big, want a small and sleek camera, wanna carry it in my backpocket/beltclip if possible.

Buddy why don't you take a look at mirrorless dslr or rather dslm cameras.

If you don't care about higher zoom, then you can look at Sony NEX-3K or Olympus E-PL1

The sony is out of stock in flipkart but is available at all sony centres as well as electronic retail outlets. Same can be said for olympus.

They are slr cameras without a mirror setup for previewing the image through a viewfinder. Their sensors are excellent and offers slr quality pictures and even comes with interchangeable lens. But the only downside is that the lens kits for mirrorless cameras are expensive.

If you care about image quality over zoom, then mirrorless cameras are worth a look. The reviews are very good and check the following reviews for both cameras:

Sony NEX-5K/3K

Olympus E-PL1

They fall within 20k and offer terrific image quality owing to their large cmos sensors.
NEX3/5k are nice, but have two primary issues, first its big(read above), second it comes with a cr@p lens, a good telephoto lens is 50k, so that pushes all boundaries, the default is 18-55mm lens I think, not good enough for me, when I get a SLR I'll get a proper one, for now, its HX9V, should buy it by next month(have exams soon).

aroraanant

Explorer
Guys i am confused btw Sony DSC Hx 9V or Canon PowerShot SX230 HS....My dad wants a point and shoot...His main requirement is GPS:p does the SX230HS has GPS??

Both have GPS and both are very good cams.
And if you want a cam with manual settings then go with Canon otherwise sony :)

Top Bottom