Plz help in buying GPU + PSU

gkiran

Broken In
I bought PC in 2009. The config is
Intel Core2 Duo E7300 Processor @ 2.66GHz
ASUS P5KPL-CM Motherboard (this has build in Intel G31 graphics accelator)
2GB RAM
320 GB HDD

I am running Win XP on this. Now I want to upgrade RAM to 4 GB and buy a suitable GPU so that I can play Driving Simulator, Crisis and few other games.
What GPU is better for a budget of around 6K ?

If I buy a GPU, will it conflict with the internal Intel's G31 graphics accelator ?

What is the power consumtion after placing new GPU ? Do I need to buy a new PSU ? IF yes, is 500W enough ? what brand should I buy (budget for PSU is about 3K)

Thanks in advance

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
When you add a GPU mobos IGP will be automatically disabled so the system can boot properly with the gfx card - just make sure you have the latest bios version for your mobo.

and get the GFX card and PSU suggested by d6bmg.

saswat23

Human Spambot
Actually there is no good/VFM NVIDIA cards around this budget. HD 6770 for 6.5k is the most promising deal. GTX-550Ti is a good card from Nvidia. Though its a littel faster than HD 6770 but cost 8k. So, for 6k 6770 is the best deal. But if you can increase your budget to 8k, then 550Ti is a good choice.

Moreover XFX is a OEM for NVIDIA and ATi/AMD just like ASUS, Gigabyte and MSi sell motherboard for Intel and AMD.

But for Graphics stay away from XFX. Go with MSi, ASUS, SAPPHIRE and Gigabyte.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - if you want to get an Nvidia card then look for GTS 450 which should be around ~6.5k but HD6770 performs better at the same price point ;-)

OP
gkiran

gkiran

Broken In
I bought sapphire HD 6770 1GB GPU yesterday. GTA San andreas, which was working fine WITHOUT any grahpics card is not working now. :-(

city car driving sim is working now.

what could have happened ?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ congrats - what error message you are getting ?

just reinstall the game, update the directx and it should work fine ;-)

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
I bought sapphire HD 6770 1GB GPU yesterday. GTA San andreas, which was working fine WITHOUT any grahpics card is not working now. :-(

city car driving sim is working now.

what could have happened ?

Reasons could be:
1. You haven't installed the latest drivers.
2. You have connected your DVI/VGA cable to motherboards port rather than connecting that in graphics cards, vdi/vga port.
3. Graphics card might not have been installed properly.

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Reasons could be:
1. You haven't installed the latest drivers.
2. You have connected your DVI/VGA cable to motherboards port rather than connecting that in graphics cards, vdi/vga port.
3. Graphics card might not have been installed properly

i dont think the system would have showed even display in case 2 & 3!

OP
gkiran

gkiran

Broken In
thanks, GTA is working now :)

but an old game, Recoil, is not working . I think I need to re-install that

Top Bottom