Please Solve This Maths Problem:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nanducob

Wise Old Owl
Hi,
we were debating over a simple maths problem on the 'Epic Lol' thread and we were going offtopic while finding the correct answer.So thought of posting it here.The problem is simple.

*img208.imageshack.us/img208/1079/87507332.png
Some people got '6' as the answer while others got '12'.Whats your answer?(pls dont copy the answer from the fb comments)thanks;)

Flash

Lost in speed
Slowly, this thread will also deviate from the topic, gets trolled and finally locked.

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
12.. according to BODMAS.. looks like whoever tried to troll, himself got trolled.. :p

So main confusion is coming after Multiplication,
In another way..
3+9-3+3
3+9+(-3)+3
3+9+(-3)+3

Flash

Lost in speed
Replace all 3's with 0's, so whatever you do, the answer will be always the f******* 0!

Vignesh B

Youngling
^^ It's 6. I guess we are messing with BODMAS here. pratyush either you or me need to learn maths.. :lol:
You need to learn maths :p
12.. according to BODMAS.. looks like whoever tried to troll, himself got trolled.. :p

So main confusion is coming after Multiplication,
In another way..
3+9-3+3
3+9+(-3)+3
3+9+(-3)+3
It doesn't work like that. :/
3+9-3+3
12-3+3
15-3
12. Where's the confusion here?? :|
Or am I doing it completely the wrong way? Anyway, who's that facebook poster? I want to kill him. :evil:

Replace all 3's with 0's, so whatever you do, the answer will be always the f******* 0!
Roger that.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
with answers like 6 and 18 and this being an IAS academy math test, no wonder becoming an IAS officer is so difficult ! :p :lol:

Vignesh B

Youngling
It is most definitely 6.

3+3x3-3+3

3+9-6

12-6

Leave subtraction for last step guys.
:facepalm:
*memecrunch.com/meme/II40/y-u-no-understand/image.png
*static.quickmeme.com/media/social/qm.gif
*static.quickmeme.com/media/social/qm.gif
It works like this -
3+9-3+3
12-3+3
15-3
Either, I have learnt Maths the wrong way till now, or you guys have.

with answers like 6 and 18 and this being an IAS academy math test, no wonder becoming an IAS officer is so difficult ! :p :lol:
True!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    88 KB · Views: 136

arijitsinha

﴾͡๏̯͡๏﴿ O'RLY?
It doesn't work like that. :/

It work like that. The beauty of math is you can solve by different ways.

FYI

Mnemonics

Mnemonics are often used to help students remember the rules, but the rules taught by the use of acronyms can be misleading. In the United States the acronym PEMDAS is common. It stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction. PEMDAS is often expanded to "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally" with the first letter of each word creating the acronym PEMDAS. Canada uses BEDMAS and the UK uses BIDMAS or BODMAS. In Canada and other English speaking countries, Parentheses may be called Brackets, or symbols of inclusion and Exponentiation may be called either Indices, Powers or Orders, which have the same precedence as Roots or Radicals. Since multiplication and division are of equal precedence, M and D are often interchanged, leading to such acronyms as BOMDAS.

These mnemonics may be misleading when written this way, especially if the user is not aware that multiplication and division are of equal precedence, as are addition and subtraction. Using any of the above rules in the order "addition first, subtraction afterward" would also give the wrong answer to the problem

10 - 3 + 2 \,.

The correct answer is 9 (and not 5, which we get when we do the addition first and then the subtraction). The best way to understand a combination of addition and subtraction is to think of the subtraction as addition of a negative number. In this case, we see the problem as the sum of positive ten, negative three, and positive two.

10 + (-3) + 2 \,

To emphasize that addition and subtraction have the same precedence (and multiplication and division have the same precedence) the mnemonic is sometimes written P E MD AS; or, simply as PEMA. PEMA is one of the mnemonics taught in New Zealand.[citation needed]

All of these acronyms conflate two different ideas, operations on the one hand and symbols of grouping on the other, which can lead to confusion.
Source:- Order of operations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom