Please help me understand a few things about Wi-Fi

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz
I just got a wifi router for my MNTL broadband connection from MTNL themselves. I have a few questions please answer them.
1.Does the wifi speed i will get on my mobile dependent on my current broadband plan ?My current plan is Xpress Combo 800 with speeds of 2Mbps upto 18gb and 512kbps thereafter.The current speed i am getting on my phone is 1.67Mbps down and 0.46 up which seems kinda low as wifi is supposed to be much faster right ? Does this also mean that once i pass data limit of 18gb the wifi speed will also be throttled or is Wi fi speed independent of broadband speed ?
2.Which brings me to my second question.Does using Wifi on my phone consume data from my broadband plan ? Will downloading and youtube streaming on my phone through wifi consume data from my 18gb plan or is it truly unlimited and independent of my data plan ?
Please excuse me for these silly questions but am a complete noob about this stuff. :)

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
1. the policy of MTNL states 'upto X Mbps', so you are getting correct speed. it may go beyond that and touch 2 as well, and also above 2 at times. what you can do is write to the DGM of MTNL to sync your connection to the correct upstream-rate if it isn't already (should be 2048 kbps or more). you can check that on your router's page. also, please note that wifi-speeds will always be a little less than wired-connection speeds. and after exceeding the data-limit, your wifi speed would also go down.

2. yes, wifi would also eat up your data. wifi is just another facet of a broadband connection. its like a wired connection, except that its wireless - data-bits and bytes travel over air as against through wire in this case; so shares the traits.

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
WiFi is just a medium to share your wired connection wirelessly. So whether you use it wired or not, count will be total of both as they are using same connection.
And either wifi or wired, speeds will be same, but pings may vary.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
1.Does the wifi speed i will get on my mobile dependent on my current broadband plan ?My current plan is Xpress Combo 800 with speeds of 2Mbps upto 18gb and 512kbps thereafter.The current speed i am getting on my phone is 1.67Mbps down and 0.46 up which seems kinda low as wifi is supposed to be much faster right ?
Your internet speed depends on speed provided by your ISP (MTNL).

Does this also mean that once i pass data limit of 18gb the wifi speed will also be throttled or is Wi fi speed independent of broadband speed ?
wifi speed depends on broadband speed. It will change according to your broadband speed.

Does using Wifi on my phone consume data from my broadband plan ?
yes

Will downloading and youtube streaming on my phone through wifi consume data from my 18gb plan
yes

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if by wifi speed you mean net speed over wifi then yes it will decrease but if you meant wifi speed as in speed of local wifi network(say transferring files over wifi between pc & phone or 2 phones) then it is independent of internet speed & only depends on your wifi modem/router(aka 150 or 300mbps).

Top Bottom